HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:45 PM
Livin it UP when Im goin DOWN
Norway, Telemark, Skien
Joined Feb 2010
4,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxcellarator View Post
You keep looking to make fun of the HK/Turnigy motors, but the funniest part is when a <$20 motor trumps ur $100 motor. (obv not all, and not in all aspects, but still)

Believe me, I have been through a bucket load of Turnigys and speak from experience: what you pay is what you get!
I also have some MEGAs, NEUs and even an ARC in my hangar, and except from burning a MEGA once ( at 3+kW) they all have taken anything I've thrown at them so far. I still use Turnigys in low-end applications but if you're looking for the good stuff, Turnigy is gonna disappoint you.
Arcteryxxx is offline Find More Posts by Arcteryxxx
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2011, 05:50 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
One thing I have seen about outrunners is tha twhen "pushed hard" they have a capability to run pretty inefficient before burning up.

Running high watts does not necessarily mean that huge % of the power is getting to the prop.

Inrunners, specially high quality inrunners can run fairly efficient close to where they might burn.

Generally inrunners are more efficient than outrunners.
Manufacturers who make both can state which they think is more efficient.

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:00 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcteryxxx View Post
Believe me, I have been through a bucket load of Turnigys and speak from experience: what you pay is what you get!
I also have some MEGAs, NEUs and even an ARC in my hangar, and except from burning a MEGA once ( at 3+kW) they all have taken anything I've thrown at them so far. I still use Turnigys in low-end applications but if you're looking for the good stuff, Turnigy is gonna disappoint you.
I completely agree. But the point is, at the price that you can get a Tgy motor, the performance they provide, makes them no laughing matter. You can get 130+mph with a 2836 and 160+mph with a 3648 both around the $20 mark (the 3648 has been increased by over $10 due to popularity). That's very respectable in my opinion, considering a large portion of members on this thread run ARCs, Megas, Neus, etc. to those same speeds and pay $100 for just the motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
One thing I have seen about outrunners is tha twhen "pushed hard" they have a capability to run pretty inefficient before burning up.

Running high watts does not necessarily mean that huge % of the power is getting to the prop.

Inrunners, specially high quality inrunners can run fairly efficient close to where they might burn.

Generally inrunners are more efficient than outrunners.
Manufacturers who make both can state which they think is more efficient.

Gryphon
Agree with the efficiency being drastically reduced. But they still provide some serious power. At 1500watts the 2836 can probably take the Funjet to 150mph considering I clocked my Flyjet at 136mph (way more aerodynamically inefficient), although cooling would obviously be a real issue in the funjet.

Regarding the efficiency thing, I thought it was the out-runners that were more efficient. (I don't disagree with you, just remember reading about it somewhere.) Haven't bothered much with this topic though.
xxxcellarator is offline Find More Posts by xxxcellarator
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:09 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
Thanks for the posts regarding cold weather.

Here is one of my bad experiences.

Immediately after the launch, the motor cut out due to LVC.

Due to cold temps, there will be lower voltage per cell under load.
So if previously you have been running high AMPs ( relative to specs or condition of your LiPoly), be careful.
LVC during launch can get your plane banged up since there is not that much airflow over the wings.

P.s. in my case it was not high Amps, but the pack was semi defective....that could still be considered high relative AMPs with respect to my pack's condition.

One of my buddies just posted that he is running a little less pitch to ease the load on his pack due to the extreme cold temps in his area. I liked his post.
He even had to block some of the air passage...yeah, he deals with really really cold air temps.

Gryphon
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:25 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Regarding the efficiency thing, I thought it was the out-runners that were more efficient. (I don't disagree with you, just remember reading about it somewhere.) Haven't bothered much with this topic though.

I read similar thing too, but that was advertisement by the outrunner manufacturer.

Mega makes both, guess what the owner think?

Also had a friend with a Scorpion outrunner. They are great outrunners.
This friend's outrunner was a bit heavie than MEGA 16/40 inrunner.
At same time as he was pushing all limits on some totally insane static tests.
Another friend of mine in same town as him was testing my 16/40 on 6S since I didn't have a 6S at that time.

By coincidence, due to KVs and voltages, the max prop was same on both motors.
The little larger Scorpion was turning a little less RPM, but using more Watts.
I'm sure the Mega could not take much more.
When the bearing of the Scorpion went bad at high loads.....well, he became another MEGA user/lover.

Gryphon
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:32 PM
Boycot Crappy CC Controllers
United States, MI, Port Huron
Joined Jun 2006
1,955 Posts
Gryphon, I dont mean to stray off topic to far, but you mentioned your experience with ARC motors...I just bought one for a 90mm jet, how would you rate it compared to HET, Mega, and Neu motors. It was certinly pricey but the numbers looked better then the HET i was considering.
snoshoe62 is offline Find More Posts by snoshoe62
Old Dec 21, 2011, 06:37 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
You keep looking to make fun of the HK/Turnigy motors, but the funniest part is when a <$20 motor trumps ur $100 motor. (obv not all, and not in all aspects, but still)

Did I specify something about the motor ???????
Your own guilty conscience went right to the motor.
I was (and still do) laugh at Arctery for burying his plane under the snow. He and I have done that plenty of times ............ freezing our fingers to the bone to get a flying fix and then having to find a white foam plane buried under pristine, white snow. It brings back memories.

I wont even begin to bore you with my own Turnigy / HK motor experiences, except to say that I have tried them all, posted on just about all of the better ones, and now I own ALOT of MEGA motors (closing in on 36), some NEU motors (gave away a few to some good friends, but still have 4), some Medusa motors (about 9)and an ARC here or there.

Hows about being nice instead of trying to provoke an unkind response.
I am actually helping out a Dude with some Turnigy motors on another thread, hows that making fun of them ?
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Last edited by moparmyway; Dec 21, 2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:10 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Did I specify something about the motor ???????
Your own guilty conscience went right to the motor.
I was (and still do) laugh at Arctery for burying his plane under the snow. He and I have done that plenty of times ............ freezing our fingers to the bone to get a flying fix and then having to find a white foam plane buried under pristine, white snow. It brings back memories.

I wont even begin to bore you with my own Turnigy / HK motor experiences, except to say that I have tried them all, posted on just about all of the better ones, and now I own ALOT of MEGA motors (closing in on 36), some NEU motors (gave away a few to some good friends, but still have 4), some Medusa motors (about 9)and an ARC here or there.

Hows about being nice instead of trying to provoke an unkind response.
I am actually helping out a Dude with some Turnigy motors on another thread, hows that making fun of them ?
I'm just being sarcastic, not trying to be unkind. You guys are just automatically reading it as a negative post against yours.

And my post was actually stemming from the numerous times u made fun of the fact that I was talking about HK stuff and such (going a few posts back, like when you deliberately misspelled the name). I ignored it before, and it looked like you were poking fun at them again. I don't really care personally, it's just seems mis-informative when you do that (making others think they are junk), and it gets tiring hearing some people on this forum talk crap about HKs products just because they are expecting things to work right out of the box like a charm. You do get what you pay for, but with what you get and just a little bit of effort, you can make it worth 10x that!!

And lets not start a back and forth post again...
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:15 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
Thanks for the posts regarding cold weather.

Here is one of my bad experiences.

Immediately after the launch, the motor cut out due to LVC.

Due to cold temps, there will be lower voltage per cell under load.
Although I can see that happening of course, that's really a whole other topping on its own. You have to keep your LiPos warm, don't let them freeze in the cold. And then theres the obvious question of how good the Lipos are.

My point about cold weather, was to be truthful and mention the fact that I am running the 1500watt in cold weather with extreme cooling as a result. So I don't mislead someone into trying the same thing on a HOT summer day or in a Funjet. That will definitely melt something (I'm guessing here, can't say how hot it'll get).
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:26 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Jan 2010
3,035 Posts
Quote:
I agree to some extent, but I think one KEY!! issue with those motors is the glue for the magnets. I too have experienced magnets coming loose (but only on 1, the 3648-850kv). Since then I've been adding extra glue to all the motors before running them. Not a single issue since. I'm running the 2836-2350 motor in my Flyjet (which has much better cooling than the Funjet) at 1500watts and 5S. It takes more than just luck to run that kind of power on that TINY motor successfully. Now I can't say up to what outside temperatures it'll keep handling that power, but as it is winter now and about 0 degrees C outside, motor comes down COOL every time (not even warm).
I used to have that motor. It worked very well, up to 400 watts. Anything over that is extremely inefficient, wasted electricity (pure heat--cooled off by cold air passing over it). I believe peak efficiency is at 300 watts. Have fun, maybe some video to show your "stuff"?
restlessswind is offline Find More Posts by restlessswind
Old Dec 21, 2011, 07:42 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoshoe62 View Post
Gryphon, I dont mean to stray off topic to far, but you mentioned your experience with ARC motors...I just bought one for a 90mm jet, how would you rate it compared to HET, Mega, and Neu motors. It was certinly pricey but the numbers looked better then the HET i was considering.

My experience with ARC is seeing my friends burn them (28mm versions) and bend their shafts, or touching the motors of one of ARC's biggest proponents upon landing and feeling my skin sizzle.

At least you will not have extra weak shaft problems with the 36mm motor you will be putting in a 90mm fan.

I am not familiar with 36mm HET specs versus 36mm ARC specs....sorry.
ARC probably has alright/ok 36mm motors…unlike their 28mm motors.

I did test 28mm ARC 2 turn on large 4S with numerous props and it didn't do too bad, not great. I suspect the 2 turn is a better motor than 1.5 , but matching them properly with differing volts (due to differing KV) is the tricky part since Lipoly cells have such a big jump in volts per each cell.

_____

Side note: if you ever want to compare to MEGA 36mm, you must use "E" rotor. Otherwise you are comparing it to a detuned MEGA.
It (E) means something else in 36mm versus 28mm.

Later, I have to run.

Gryphon
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:25 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
New York
Joined Jan 2009
4,999 Posts
Quote:
I'm just being sarcastic, not trying to be unkind. You guys are just automatically reading it as a negative post against yours. ...
You did quote my post, and it was negative

Quote:
And my post was actually stemming from the numerous times u made fun of the fact that I was talking about HK stuff and such (going a few posts back, like when you deliberately misspelled the name). I ignored it before, and it looked like you were poking fun at them again. I don't really care personally, it's just seems mis-informative when you do that (making others think they are junk), and it gets tiring hearing some people on this forum talk crap about HKs products just because they are expecting things to work right out of the box like a charm. You do get what you pay for, but with what you get and just a little bit of effort, you can make it worth 10x that!! ...
I posted ONE time about you & your HK stuff (post #4237), you made the numerous posts. Why shouldnt something work well out of the box when purchased ?

Quote:

And lets not start a back and forth post again...
Looks like you already turned the key, if you wish to continue, or ask me anything, for the sake of the thread, please take it to PM's.
moparmyway is offline Find More Posts by moparmyway
Old Dec 21, 2011, 09:54 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
I ate too many olives tonight
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:33 PM
Toronto, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway View Post
Why shouldnt something work well out of the box when purchased ?
Ur missing my point. You guys said "you get what you pay for". And I agree, there are manufacturing faults and some quality issues with things like magnet glues and bearings.
But my point was, that you just can't call it crappy stuff just like that. It's like saying a Corvette is a piece of junk (which in the eye of any European, is a total piece of junk really). Just cause it uses cheap parts and is manufactured with low quality American standards doesn't make it a crappy car. It's one of the best because it does exactly what it was intended to do with the minimal cost. Same goes for Turnigy motors. Sure you might have to fix a few things, but it's worth it in the end when you have a motor for $20 that can keep up with the rest of em.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 10:56 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,861 Posts
Using Corvette for analogy????
That would make those motors the dream motors of China.

Try again.

Gryphon