HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 01, 2010, 05:47 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,911 Posts
This is getting rediculous. I should just cancel my towerhobbies order and order from a bunch of other overseas vendors that have them in stock. I'd like to order from tower as they have been great in the past, but that's a long wait. I have basically all i need except the darn jet.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2010, 09:47 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
This is getting rediculous. I should just cancel my towerhobbies order and order from a bunch of other overseas vendors that have them in stock. I'd like to order from tower as they have been great in the past, but that's a long wait. I have basically all i need except the darn jet.
I'm not going to bug my contact at Tower any more, Im going to call Multiplex USA.

I would order from overseas if I could find them in stock where the site is in English.

Anyone know of one?
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:04 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,911 Posts
Yep. There are a ton of websites I wanted to order from but the overall cost with shipping will be more than Tower. That's the price I'll have to pay if I want it now. Robotbirds.com has the Kit AND the motor mount. Every other site I have checked has only had one or the other, or everything was out of stock. These website have the Kit and/or the mount in stock:

http://robotbirds.com/catalog/produc...oducts_id=5365
http://www.t9hobbysport.com/item.asp...134&prodid=492
http://www.modelmaniacsonline.co.uk/...+ULTRA+Kit++++
http://www.modelspot.com/funjet-ultr...gain-739-p.asp
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:26 PM
USA
Joined Jan 2002
4,860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
I'm not going to bug my contact at Tower any more, Im going to call Multiplex USA.

I would order from overseas if I could find them in stock where the site is in English.

Anyone know of one?
I spoke to Multiplex USA at the NEAT Fair. There's nothing they can do. The mother ship decided to keep the initial release local in case there were any problems. Last I heard they are on the slow boat.
Ohmic is online now Find More Posts by Ohmic
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:39 PM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeWingRC View Post
Some people dont really think so, and then there are people like me that really do there research.

If you know the funjet, then you know it already. Heres what the Ultra has the regular funjet doesnt.

1. Way stiffer denser foam
2. Bombs are removed for better aerodynamic
3. Slightly smaller wingspan and i mean SLIGHTLY.
4. Aluminum motor mount instead of plastic "with ultra power system only"
5. Better looks silver/orange check out jurgen's paint job of the honda silver paint he used before the decals were put on. Absolutely beautiful!

If anyone knows anything i missed please list.

casey

P.S. Basically the ultra was made to the consumers response. Its made to go way faster without the trouble to spar the dam* thing all over. So now since its way more rigid than ever, it can take more of the CG abuse in the air with 1kw systems.
if you read, i said "with power system only" its only in the power system kit. NOT with the funjet. Ive done hours of homework on this.
XtremeWingRC is online now Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Ritewing Z3 S build
Old Oct 01, 2010, 10:41 PM
Fast? I got something 4 ya!
United States, WI, Oak Creek
Joined Oct 2007
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
That is correct. The alu mount does not come with the FJ Ultra kit, but with the FJ Ultra drive system.

Jürgen

Thats what i said Jurgen! Drive, power, system, Its all the same name. If you read my post. I said with power system only.

casey
XtremeWingRC is online now Find More Posts by XtremeWingRC
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Ritewing Z3 S build
Old Oct 02, 2010, 12:27 PM
RC = FUN
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Joined Aug 2008
3,636 Posts
What kind of flight time are you guys getting on a 2200 3S battery at full throttle the whole flight? What about cruising? Thanks! -Tyler
flyboy321 is offline Find More Posts by flyboy321
Old Oct 02, 2010, 02:38 PM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
848 Posts
Iwas just checking out the motors for EDFs and came across this one http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=4210
it seems to be a good motor for the original funjet but would it work with the ultra?
Jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Oct 03, 2010, 08:42 AM
Joined Jan 2010
69 Posts
What is the ideal prop diameter for the funjet ultra? Ive heard anything under 5" is very inefficient.
Richardmid1 is offline Find More Posts by Richardmid1
Old Oct 03, 2010, 12:59 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardmid1 View Post
What is the ideal prop diameter for the funjet ultra? Ive heard anything under 5" is very inefficient.
I tried everything under the sun. I found 6 inches to be the happy spot. Always go bigger if possible. I will try a 6.5x6.5 when I get mine, but you might have issues with torque roll.
Old Oct 03, 2010, 04:18 PM
Joined Jan 2010
69 Posts
I already have torque roll issues with a 5 x 5! I need full aileron on take off, or is that normal? Or is it because im using too much throttle too quickly on take off?

Does everyone throw then put power on or power on first then throw?
Old Oct 03, 2010, 06:06 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richardmid1 View Post
I already have torque roll issues with a 5 x 5! I need full aileron on take off, or is that normal? Or is it because im using too much throttle too quickly on take off?

Does everyone throw then put power on or power on first then throw?
There is a problem if you are having torque roll with a 5" prop. I would launch at 3/4 throttle with a 6" prop at 1400watts.

Wing twist?
Old Oct 04, 2010, 04:47 AM
Cheshire, England
Joined Mar 2001
504 Posts
I only have a 4.75" prop and I get plenty of torque roll!

Only way to get it in the air consistently is to throw it vertical - works every time . Look back in the thead for videos of the technique. I had less than a 50% success rate while throwing 'conventionally' but have yet to have a failure with the 'vertical' technique.

Issue is that from the launch you haven't got any air flowing over the control surfaces until it builds speed as the prop isn't pushing air over the model, just behind. As soon as she gets up some speed the torque effect isn't noticeable.

One nice trick is to cut the power, come down the runway low and pull vertical just in front of you - just as it stops climbing, power up to full and watch her spin. As she builds forward speed again the torque effect disappears as the screaming motor howls away . Of course you need more than 1:1 power/weight ratio but then I don't this model was designed for any less .

Cheers,
Richard.
Dangerous Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous Dick
Old Oct 04, 2010, 12:31 PM
Joined Jan 2010
69 Posts
Im throwing it at about 30 degrees max, I put full right trim in then just trim it back to center once flying. Ive been launching it at 1/2 throttle to reduce torque roll and it still nearly rolls to inverted! Mine is a fairly light setup, maybe thats why its torque rolling so much?
Old Oct 07, 2010, 09:37 PM
Trusted Verified User
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined May 2009
289 Posts
finished mine

Just finished the ultra tonight. I'm going to maiden it Saturday morning. I ordered it from the UK and it only took about 2 weeks to get here. I think I paid about 133 US for it.
griffin 27 is offline Find More Posts by griffin 27