HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 11, 2010, 08:29 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk1spitfire View Post
Anyway do you believe removing the wing pods on the ultra adds much speed by reduced drag?
If you look at the cross sectional area of the pods there is nearly a couple of square inches extra drag on the airframe, so I would say that there is definately a difference. Whether or not the human eye and ear can tell that difference is another matter. On board data logging of the airspeed or a radar gun may be able to give a definitive answer.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2010, 01:53 PM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
665 Posts
Would have been nice if multiplex had changed the aerofoil for this upgrade speed ship with something less draggy and even more slippery, instead of just removing the wing tip pods.
mk1spitfire is offline Find More Posts by mk1spitfire
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:19 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Would have been nice if multiplex had changed the aerofoil for this upgrade speed ship with something less draggy and even more slippery, instead of just removing the wing tip pods.
But then you probably would have had to reinforce the foam by using additional stiffeners like on the Blizzard, the servos may not have fitted flush anymore etc. plus you may have lost the docile characteristics of the FJ at lower speeds.

The FJ Ultra ist still a jet for fun and not a "speed demon". If you want all out speed, there are much better suited models. Even with a different airfoil, a FJ would not be a serious competitor.

If you want to see some fast models:

http://www.do-x-osnabrueck.de/Images...tig/index.html

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: InterModellBau 2014
Old Sep 12, 2010, 03:43 AM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
665 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
But then you probably would have had to reinforce the foam by using additional stiffeners like on the Blizzard, the servos may not have fitted flush anymore etc. plus you may have lost the docile characteristics of the FJ at lower speeds.

The FJ Ultra ist still a jet for fun and not a "speed demon". If you want all out speed, there are much better suited models. Even with a different airfoil, a FJ would not be a serious competitor.

If you want to see some fast models:

http://www.do-x-osnabrueck.de/Images...tig/index.html

Jürgen
Thanks, for the link Jurgen. That's the event held at Rothenburg /Goerlitz ??
I would have loved to have gone to that. You been?
Can you direct me to a german video site of those awesome speed planes. I would appreciate it. They hit 233mph or 375kph.

Cheers.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 04:04 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, for the link Jurgen. That's the event held at Rothenburg /Goerlitz ??
I would have loved to have gone to that. You been?
Can you direct me to a german video site of those awesome speed planes. I would appreciate it. They hit 233mph or 375kph.

Cheers.
No, those are pictures from the German Speed Championship 2010 in Osnabrück (05.- 06.Sept.2010).

Fastest with IC: Joachim Weirich - 401.5kph average (249.5mph)

Fastest Electric model: Jakob Karpfinger - 409.2kph average (254.3mph)

You can find some videos on Youtube, for example here:

German speed championship, Joachim Weirich the winner in the 10ccm class.flv (1 min 8 sec)

The Rothenburg/Görlitz event is scheduled for 18.- 19.Sept. 2010 - especially for world speed record trials.

That being said, we had a team at our local flying field with a turbine powered Inferno delta for a Guiness Book of Record attempt. Unfortunately I have missed it, but I have heard that they achieved >600kph.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:31 AM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
665 Posts
Excellent, Would love to know what timing they use and pictures.

Most of those hot planes use servos horns on top of wing, pull for up. I thought the funjet would benefit too from that.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 09:56 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Excellent, Would love to know what timing they use and pictures.

Most of those hot planes use servos horns on top of wing, pull for up. I thought the funjet would benefit too from that.
With timing you mean the electronic "speed trap"? Pictures will most likely be available in RC-Network after the event.

Having the servo horns on top of the wing has less to do with "Pull for up", but reduced risk of damage during landing and a tiny drag reduction.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2010, 10:21 AM
uk
Joined Oct 2007
665 Posts
Yer your right about damage but also when pulling up the control rod is less likely to bend.

Didn't realise there would be any drag reduction. A bonus too.

yep, the speed trap.
Old Sep 12, 2010, 11:59 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
4,642 Posts
When I finally get my ultra, I am setting it up with an 1800W power set-up. With the speeds it will travel at, can I still use plastic control horns and clevises that comes on most planes? I'm not sure if metal horns and clevises are mandatory or just better at those speeds. Thanks!
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Sep 12, 2010, 12:08 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
When I finally get my ultra, I am setting it up with an 1800W power set-up. With the speeds it will travel at, can I still use plastic control horns and clevises that comes on most planes? I'm not sure if metal horns and clevises are mandatory or just better at those speeds. Thanks!
Even if you manage to achieve the same efficiency as with the recommended 900W setup, your FJ Ultra will only be approx. 26% faster. That's still slower than a Funjet with Kolibri jet turbine and the one I have flown uses the stock linkages.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 12, 2010, 02:22 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,675 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
Since he didn't answer your question, The stock horns were fine in my 1650w setup. You are definitely going to want t0 use heavier control arms. I suggest 4-40 with clevis.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:39 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Since he didn't answer your question, ...
I wrote: even the Kolibri turbine powered FJ Ultra used the stock linkages.

You may use "beefier" linkages if you want to, but it is not a necessity.

Jürgen
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2010, 12:44 AM
Joined Aug 2008
4,642 Posts
Quote:
Even if you manage to achieve the same efficiency as with the recommended 900W setup, your FJ Ultra will only be approx. 26% faster. That's still slower than a Funjet with Kolibri jet turbine and the one I have flown uses the stock linkages.

Jürgen
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Since he didn't answer your question, The stock horns were fine in my 1650w setup. You are definitely going to want t0 use heavier control arms. I suggest 4-40 with clevis.
Quote:
I wrote: even the Kolibri turbine powered FJ Ultra used the stock linkages.

You may use "beefier" linkages if you want to, but it is not a necessity.

Jürgen
Thanks for the replies guys. I'll use the stock equipment and test different speeds to see how it works out. I may add a different linkage set-up if its makes me feel more comfortable.
Old Sep 13, 2010, 04:54 AM
Greece
Joined Jun 2007
139 Posts
Mayday, mayday... low cabin pressure...need landing priority....mayday....

I lost my canopy in the air. Anyone knows were to order fj ultra parts from EU ?
petranf is offline Find More Posts by petranf
Old Sep 13, 2010, 09:27 PM
Joined Aug 2008
4,642 Posts
Noooooooo!! Tower now states that the estimated date of arrival for the funjet is "late October".

Is there any of website that sells it, even if it's not in the U.S.?