HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:32 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,842 Posts
Rim,

We should give some thought to your next prop.

I hope you checked motor temps.

Let's see if we can find a prop in-between APC E 5.5X4.5 , and Graupner CAM 5.5X5.5
Incremental steps would be safer....and even if you don't mind doing 1 winding rebuild....this will help ensure that you don't need two to find absolute max prop (if that is your goal).

Maybe cutting down Aeronaut 6X5 down to half way static Amps between the above two props.

May want to try Graupner CAM 5.2X5.2 to see if it is worth any extra speed.... I don't have high hopes because it's diameter is a bit questionable/borderline. To help it, may be you can do a dive far back to gain speed but bleed off any excess speed by the time your FJ gets back to you.

See if you can gain any RPM with your current prop on high ESC timing advance....you know Castle ESCs set their own exact timing. Even though we can pick the timing range, some of these ranges do have overlaps which means possibly no power level change for some motors.

When/if you get up to Graupner CAM 5.5X5.5 maybe use same reasoning and start with Low ESC timing advance.

------

If you get away with that Graupner it does not mean that others in warmer climates than you can also do the same.

I know you are definitely wise with your throttle control.

Keep up the good work, and I wish you the best.

Owner of MEGA saw one of your videos with me on the phone and said he liked it.

When I mentioned Sotog's Multiplex FJ motor mounts and support for MEGA motors, he said he is open to carrying some in stock.

***So tell me something; Was I right when I said you may feel bashful when you first fly with 5S on your motor around other people?
( Crazy Loud)

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Jul 04, 2011 at 01:40 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:44 AM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2011
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimripper View Post
Its best to trim for level flight,with the position you fly most at,Im trimmed for WOT the componsaite on the sticks at slower speeds.

Ahh so its not the Thrust angle on motor mount... Basically only one can be trimmed for level flight. The other you ride the sticks.

Correct?
HighInTheSkies is offline Find More Posts by HighInTheSkies
Old Jul 04, 2011, 02:28 AM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighInTheSkies View Post
If I set my trims so I can fly level when flying fast, then when I slow down it loses altitude. Any suggestions on why this is happening?

Thx
This is perfectly normal behaviour. If your model is trimmed to fly straight and level at full speed, the wing creates just enough lift to compensate for the model's weight. You fly slower and you have to apply some up elevator to keep the ballance between lift and weight.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Jul 04, 2011, 11:02 AM
Which one is aileron again?
USA, VA, Blacksburg
Joined Apr 2006
793 Posts
What is a good reasonable motor for running 4s3300? I have a pair of these laying around. I also have a bunch of 3s2600 for light/sporty flying. I'm not looking to set any speed records. I had an old funjet that would do ~70mph on 3s and that was plenty fun for me but I finally totaled it earlier this year. I think I'd like to be able to hit 100mph. It sounds like a 5.5x4 is probably the ticket as far as props go. I happen to also have the "stock" power system for the Ultra here in a box...
prototype3a is offline Find More Posts by prototype3a
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:10 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2011
40 Posts
Ok guys thanks for all the help!!!

Now im confused about this, what is the point of the angle on the motor mount for? What purpose does it serve and when should it be used?

Sorry if this seems a little dumb but after answering my last question im confused about this now. I figured that was to adjust level flight in WOT to compensate for your level flight settings when going slow.

Thx in advance for the help!!
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:11 PM
186mph Funjet Ultra
nieuw vennep, the netherlands
Joined Feb 2010
502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgen Heilig View Post
Same here. I also don't change elevon trim on my FunJets.

Jürgen
Hi Jurgen

Why is pitching up or down with speed change "normal behavior" for Funjets then?
When the plane does that it is nose heavy!

Grtz Rene
E-speed buff is offline Find More Posts by E-speed buff
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:50 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-speed buff View Post
Hi Jurgen

Why is pitching up or down with speed change "normal behavior" for Funjets then?
When the plane does that it is nose heavy!

Grtz Rene
I was not talking about "pitching up or down", but normal trim changes required for horizontal flight at various speeds.

Jürgen
Old Jul 04, 2011, 01:57 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighInTheSkies View Post
Ok guys thanks for all the help!!!

Now im confused about this, what is the point of the angle on the motor mount for? What purpose does it serve and when should it be used?
The motor thrust angle can be adjusted for smooth transfers between going fast and flying slow. The model should neither pitch up or down when you open the trottle.

From the manual:

Quote:
Start by flying at full-throttle, and trim the model accurately, i.e. straight and level “hands-off”. If you now switch the motor off, the aeroplane should make a smooth transition to a steady glide. If it climbs and slows down, the downthrust is too great - reduce the downthrust angle. If the model goes into a dive, the downthrust is insufficient - increase the downthrust slightly and add a little up-trim before flying again.
Repeat this procedure until the model goes into a smooth descent when you close the throttle, and responds to an open throttle by spontaneously flying straight and level, with a slight tendency to climb.
Jürgen
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:41 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined May 2011
40 Posts
Ok I got this. What I'm saying is I can make it fly straight at WOT. But the transition will not be smooth once I slow down. It will pitch down considerably. I have 3 clicks of thrust to compensate, and it did help but not eliminate the problem.

If theres is no way to satisfy both I can live with this, just wanted to make sure. I rather have it trimmed for WOT and ride the elevator during slow flight. Just wanted to make sure I know the FJ's limitations/settings.

Thx
Old Jul 05, 2011, 03:46 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,792 Posts
Funny, my three Funjets have all been the same. On 3s they fly on rails. As soon as I go to 4S, they don't fly straight at WOT. They torque roll madly.

So, I am all over the ailerons at full throttle, which in turn slows the Plane down dramatically.

This is why it seems that my 3S Funjet is just as fast as my 4s was.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jul 05, 2011, 04:49 PM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
I Finally got my FunJet up in the air this past weekend, for the maiden used an APC 6.5 x 3.7 got 119 mph.
Running small 6S 2500 packs with MEGA 16/30/2.5RCE

The system is capable of a lot more, just need to select the right prop.

No pitch issues at all.

Johnny – did you trim the rim from around the nose? that might just be your problem.

FCA

BTW: 2nd flight was going to be with an APC 6.5 x 6
But launch was a bad one, minor damage to plane, already fixed – Just waiting on new lipo’s
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Jul 05, 2011, 05:20 PM
186mph Funjet Ultra
nieuw vennep, the netherlands
Joined Feb 2010
502 Posts
HITS

When your plane pitches down when you slow down, your C of G is to far forward.
Try moving your battery pack to the rear in small increments.
It will increase your pitch sensetivety, but then just lower your rates on the elevons.

Grtz René
E-speed buff is offline Find More Posts by E-speed buff
Old Jul 05, 2011, 06:44 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
I Finally got my FunJet up in the air this past weekend, for the maiden used an APC 6.5 x 3.7 got 119 mph.
Running small 6S 2500 packs with MEGA 16/30/2.5RCE

The system is capable of a lot more, just need to select the right prop.

No pitch issues at all.

Johnny – did you trim the rim from around the nose? that might just be your problem.

FCA

BTW: 2nd flight was going to be with an APC 6.5 x 6
But launch was a bad one, minor damage to plane, already fixed – Just waiting on new lipo’s
Trim the nose? No I haven't tried that. You think?

When it cools down, I will go back to 4S with a HET motor. I will fool around until I fix the problem one in for all.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Jul 05, 2011, 07:58 PM
United States, NJ, Roseland
Joined Apr 2009
2,214 Posts
Hi All,

What is the max amps you reccomend for the ICE 100 with the heatsink? This is for a powered sailplane with the motor on an on/ off switch with 3-5 min cool down in between bursts for cooling. Its more a hot sailplane than a hotliner. Can I get 140 amps out of it?
hidaven is offline Find More Posts by hidaven
Old Jul 05, 2011, 08:19 PM
zoom zoom
USA, NJ, Mt Laurel
Joined Oct 2007
3,691 Posts
Im over 200/3s with no issues so far.... dont forget great cooling air
gotboostedvr6 is offline Find More Posts by gotboostedvr6