HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 24, 2010, 09:03 AM
Joined Dec 2007
410 Posts
I am putting together a NON ULTRA funjet but wanted your guys opinion on my motor set up...

I want a light set-up because my landing area (back yard) is through a couple of trees and then about 90' of grass...

So, what I would like is a 3S set up with the potential to throw in a 4S (and a BEC) if I go to the local field with my larger birds.

I was leaning towards the Typhoon 2W-20 and a 4.75 x 4.75 prop.

I wanted to run it past you guys before i ordered it... Is the Mega 16/15/3 a much better motor and worth the extra 35$

On either motor if I went to the 4S what prop and ESC would you all recommend, I don't need "insane" speed b/c I'm NOT "beefing-up" the planes structure...

Sorry, one more question... Specific battery sizes/manufactures that do and don't fit 3S and 4S?

Thanks ahead of time
greggk is offline Find More Posts by greggk
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2010, 12:29 PM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggk View Post
I am putting together a NON ULTRA funjet but wanted your guys opinion on my motor set up...

None Ultra?
Is that the Ultra, but with a slower setup, or the original Funjet you're talking about?
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing
Old Aug 24, 2010, 01:42 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben D Wing View Post
None Ultra?
Is that the Ultra, but with a slower setup, or the original Funjet you're talking about?
He is talking about a normal FunJet and has asked the same question in the Funjet thread, where I already answered the question.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Aug 30, 2010, 08:15 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,425 Posts
I know there are some very knowledgeable people in this thread and I would like some input on my future funjet built (when thu finally get in stock at TowerH).

I want to use an Sapac MB-1 motor on 4S and I'll be using a Turnigy 85A ESC with 4A BEC. I will be using mostly hobbyking items for the propellor and prop adapter, unless you have better options. Which propellor adapter and propellor size should I choose? What casing or motor mount is available for the MB-1 motor? Also, if I use 5S, what different prop/adapter would I need. I have a 150A turnigy k-force ESC that is huge but will be used for 5S. Would that even fit in the funjet?

Thank you very much.

T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Sep 02, 2010, 01:59 PM
Seaplane submariner
Norway
Joined Sep 2007
138 Posts
My new motor for the ultra. Trying a cheapo setup for this one after a lot of $$$ went in along with my old one.

Motor: KD36-60-08L - 3000kv
ESC: Plush 80amp
Batt: Turnigy 3s2650mah 40c x2
Prop: 4.5x4.5?

Stil have to do some testing to find out how big prop I can run on this setup. The plan war originally to run this motor on a high-amp 4s setup, but all my 4s lipos were too lightweight(!). The simple fix was to stick 2x3s in series in it. Required a little bit surgery on the canopy, but nothing major.

Picture 1 shows the KD-motor compared to the powerset-motor for the original funjet (himax 2825-2700kv).
Picture 2 shows the battery setup in place...
jeeeeeeright is offline Find More Posts by jeeeeeeright
Old Sep 02, 2010, 04:42 PM
Greece
Joined Jun 2007
139 Posts
Jeeeright,
There must not be space for heatsink. Also the motor has not holes for cooling. So it is not a good idea to push it beyond 80amps.

You could post the results. I am interested for a cheap setup for a backup funjet.

Ohh , i hate hk batteries with these rigid cables. Hope you find an easy way to install them. What is your total weight?
petranf is offline Find More Posts by petranf
Old Sep 02, 2010, 05:41 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2008
3,834 Posts
jeeeeeeright,

petranf is right about the cooling holes....it makes a big difference on how much AMPs you can flow and ALSO how much throttle control would be required to allow the motor to cool back down before going to full throttle again.

It has a good price and you don’t have much to lose. Trying it out should be worthwhile.

Some people take the end caps off of their various motors, and add cooling holes or increase the size of their cooling holes. Something for you to consider. I have not done it myself. You can place a post in correct forums and see if someone can help you in detail.

It "might" be possible to get the MPI style heat sink and grind the top of the cooling fins a bit and that might help it fit inside. I know that is what some folks have done to regular Funjet.
They are 48mm outer diameter before getting grinded/filed down. For 36mm motors.
See part # ACC3939 and ACC3959
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-29b.html

My “limited” knowledge of KDA:

I tried picking a desirable KV from the 28mm KDA options for use in a Stryker for folks whose budget would not allow them to even get an ARC.
Out of the 3 folks who bought the KDA motors:
(1) guy had no issues.
(1) guy had the motor smoke.
(1) guy found out that his rotor was not attached to the shaft. He glued/epoxied them together , then reassembled the motor and had no further issues.

They flew faster than expected.

KDA quality: No comment!

Consider running a UBEC incase the shorted motor somehow takes out the ESC.

By going up in AMPs and full throttle duration gradually, you can find out the real limits of the motor in your application.
Provide good cooling to your ESC.....at 3/4 throttle the ESC heats up more than at full throttle.

Wish you the best,

Gryphon
GryphonRCU is offline Find More Posts by GryphonRCU
Old Sep 03, 2010, 01:29 AM
Seaplane submariner
Norway
Joined Sep 2007
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GryphonRCU View Post
jeeeeeeright,
It "might" be possible to get the MPI style heat sink and grind the top of the cooling fins a bit and that might help it fit inside. I know that is what some folks have done to regular Funjet.
They are 48mm outer diameter before getting grinded/filed down. For 36mm motors.
See part # ACC3939 and ACC3959
http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-29b.html

Gryphon
Actually, the "Clam shell motor mount w/ cooling fins" on the same page looks like a good idea! Will buy a couple of those!
This motor is quite heavy and puts a lot of stress on the plastic motor mount, so adding this on the motor for front-end support an additional cooling must be a good idea.
As for drilling vent holes in the motor, I'm not quite there yet.
jeeeeeeright is offline Find More Posts by jeeeeeeright
Old Sep 09, 2010, 08:52 PM
Australia
Joined Nov 2009
138 Posts
Will this setup work ok on the ultra the guy from this site recons it will do fine what do you guys think. im still wanting 200km+
http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...roducts_id=215
custards1 is online now Find More Posts by custards1
Old Sep 09, 2010, 11:25 PM
Joined Sep 2000
18,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by custards1 View Post
Will this setup work ok on the ultra the guy from this site recons it will do fine what do you guys think. im still wanting 200km+
http://www.extremerc.com.au/estore/i...roducts_id=215
Im a sure this setup will work for the Funjet Ultra as well. I personally would rather buy the recommended drive set for the Ultra, as it uses a bigger prop and comes with an aluminium motor mount for about the same price.

Availability might be an issue here, as you live in Australia.

Jürgen
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:31 AM
rcflyer
UK
Joined Jun 2010
844 Posts
is the recommended motor set the best compared to cheaper setups?
jim
rcjim11 is offline Find More Posts by rcjim11
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:32 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,780 Posts
So the aluminum mount dos not come stock with the Ultra?
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:44 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjim11 View Post
is the recommended motor set the best compared to cheaper setups?
jim
If you buy straight from China, you will most likely find cheaper components, but I have not given them much thought - except buying a 2900kV outrunner and an 85A ESC from Turnigy (which i have not tested yet).

The efficiency of the recommended drive set is approx. 65% at 900W and the Graupner Speed 6x5.5" suits the FJ very well with that drive.

For comparison, I will most likely use a 4S Mega 16/15/2 setup with a CC 75 ICE ESC. This will not be cheaper, but actually more expensive than the recommended drive set.

Jürgen
Old Sep 10, 2010, 10:47 AM
Joined Sep 2000
18,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
No, it doesn't:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=84

Jürgen
Old Sep 10, 2010, 11:12 AM
The Peak District
Joined Dec 2006
2,894 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
IMHO, as the thin plastic tail cone is simply cyanoed to the thin section foam at the rear of the fuselage I believe the alloy mount is simply not required. It's simply a marketing ploy and purely a bit of 'bling'.
Ben D Wing is offline Find More Posts by Ben D Wing