HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:04 PM
Now Compressing Air
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Jan 2010
449 Posts
Just bring some glue Fun little plane. I hope it goes well for you.

GS
Gear Swinger is offline Find More Posts by Gear Swinger
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:09 PM
Now Compressing Air
Joined Jan 2010
449 Posts
T-Cat

Plane looks great and that paint combo will help you keep your orientation. I try not to let mine get too far away. It really retains it's energy and requires some planning on the approach. Good luck with the Maiden flight.

GS
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:15 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2008
5,039 Posts
Thanks GS. I'm hoping for the best. I have a few pylon racers and they are blast, so that comforts me that speed won't be an issue. However, launching a pusher will be the first for me. I'm going to hope for the best . I do everything I can to have a good maiden.

747, good luck on your maiden as well. If you're planning for the flight on Saturday, we're in the same boat . I'll post up my impression afte the flight.
T-CAT is offline Find More Posts by T-CAT
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:26 PM
Now Compressing Air
Joined Jan 2010
449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-CAT View Post
First, are the control throws on the manual pretty spot on for high speed manuevars? The manual states:

Up-elevator: 10mm
Down-elevator: 8mm
Aileron: +8/-11
This is my first funjet/pusher also. I went with the stock settings at the recommended balance point to start. It won't take long for you to get a big smile.

What I found with the aileron differential is that the upward deflected aileron was generating some yaw causing the nose to drop a little in the turns at half throttle. Taking some of that out has helped and has been a trial and error exercise trying to generate a coordinated looking turn while also trying to keep the rolls axial. I believe the 2mm elevator deflection is for launching to be trimmed out for normal flight.

I would be interested in seeing what others are using for differential.

GS
Old Mar 03, 2011, 11:51 PM
53859 Niederkassel, Germany
Joined Sep 2000
18,758 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Swinger View Post
None - in all may FJ's - from Indoor to ULTRA.

Jürgen
Jurgen Heilig is offline Find More Posts by Jurgen Heilig
Old Mar 04, 2011, 04:38 AM
Joined Jan 2010
243 Posts
T Cat with that HET power it will zoom away, i chuck into the air with a bit of ooomph !!!!! at quite a high angle of attack and with about 75% power it wants to jump out of your hand anyway. I always launch with my left hand so that my right hand is always on the sticks. It is no problem to launch. I have about 100 flights now NEVER A PROBLEM.

I think the problem comes if you launch it parallel to the ground( which is often by the time you let go, more into the ground) with hands off the sticks, it can then head towards the ground while torque rolling, so you have to be quick to catch it.

That 6 inch prop gives big thrust, and a good bit of throttle and that Ultra will be wanting to head you towards the clouds anyway, so aim it that way !!!!
Shepski is offline Find More Posts by Shepski
Old Mar 04, 2011, 07:32 AM
Joined Aug 2010
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotog View Post
Hi T-CAT,

Yes, my mount is very universal. It will accept motors with 16x16, 16x19, 19x19, 19x25, and 25x25mm (+) bolt patterns using all 4 screws. This covers most of the 28 and 36mm inrunners as well as the 28 and 35mm outrunners.

I've had a lot of great feedback with some so far.

Terry
Wish I got Sotog's mount. I didn't do my research on the Multiplex mount and discovered it doesn't fit any of my 28mm inrunners.

Does any body know if the funjet has a lifting body fuselage? Does it play much of a role at speed?
Sasazuka is offline Find More Posts by Sasazuka
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:05 AM
Alberta,Canada
Joined Nov 2009
2,444 Posts
It was posted a while ago about multiplex mounts not fitting 28mm's
Sotogs mounts are very,very good and will let you run almost any innrunner you choose.
rimripper is offline Find More Posts by rimripper
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:17 AM
Joined Aug 2008
5,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Swinger View Post
This is my first funjet/pusher also. I went with the stock settings at the recommended balance point to start. It won't take long for you to get a big smile.

What I found with the aileron differential is that the upward deflected aileron was generating some yaw causing the nose to drop a little in the turns at half throttle. Taking some of that out has helped and has been a trial and error exercise trying to generate a coordinated looking turn while also trying to keep the rolls axial. I believe the 2mm elevator deflection is for launching to be trimmed out for normal flight.

GS
Thanks GS. This helps a lot. I will be setting up my Ultra in my radio tonight with the settings I'll use for the maiden.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:22 AM
Joined Aug 2008
5,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepski View Post
T Cat with that HET power it will zoom away, i chuck into the air with a bit of ooomph !!!!! at quite a high angle of attack and with about 75% power it wants to jump out of your hand anyway. I always launch with my left hand so that my right hand is always on the sticks. It is no problem to launch. I have about 100 flights now NEVER A PROBLEM.

I think the problem comes if you launch it parallel to the ground( which is often by the time you let go, more into the ground) with hands off the sticks, it can then head towards the ground while torque rolling, so you have to be quick to catch it.

That 6 inch prop gives big thrust, and a good bit of throttle and that Ultra will be wanting to head you towards the clouds anyway, so aim it that way !!!!
Thanks Shepski. I'll make sure I give it a good toss then, and angle it further up as you described. This makes me a lot more comfortable and confident. I hope this power system is some fun. I have both the APC 6X4 sport and APC 6X5.5E prop to try out tomorrow. I will take some Watt meter tests tonight. Do you have Watt meter test with thnose props or something similar for me to compare to. I was also thinking of using low timing, and not sure about PWM setting though. I need to buy some Graupner props and aeronaut soon, but they're expensive.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:23 AM
Joined Aug 2008
5,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasazuka View Post
Wish I got Sotog's mount. I didn't do my research on the Multiplex mount and discovered it doesn't fit any of my 28mm inrunners.

Does any body know if the funjet has a lifting body fuselage? Does it play much of a role at speed?
Sotogs' mount is very good quality and fits an amazing variety of motors. Also, he has them priced very reasonable. I couldn't be happier.
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:46 AM
Joined Jan 2010
243 Posts
T - Cat

My friend who is just finishing a very serious JEPE 8S Mirage 90mm EDF has my wattmeter, so i have never been able to meter it. ( he has promised me a go on this fully glassed Psycho machine)

The 6 X 4 will give you insane thrust, the 6 X 5.5 will give you thrust and big speed. That is why hand launching with the bigger props is not a problem LOADS OF THRUST. I tried some small props a while back on a higher KV motor and the hand launch was much more difficult as very little thrust. I prefer the bigger props any day, Multiplex know exactly what they are doing which is why the power set has a 6 inch prop.

I read somewhere that Elavon planes need a constant up elevator to fly and cannot remember the reasoning, so that 2mm up elevator is probably part of the design of the Ultra.

I have now got a 500w system up and ready to go, for the Multiplex Dogfighter which is now on order it is an EMAX 2815- 1400KV Outrunner running on a 9 X 6 with a 60amp ESC .looking forward to burning off the hordes of Parkzone Warbirds, all i say is BRING IT ON
Shepski is offline Find More Posts by Shepski
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:53 AM
Static Model Collector LOL
Katy, TX
Joined Dec 2009
1,448 Posts
Looks like rain tomorrow will see

Gear Swinger - What throw's did you end up with?

T-Cat - Keep us posted, looking forward to hear how your maiden went, nice paint job.

Rim - Don't you ever sleep

Gotta bug some other guys - then off to the coal mines

Later guy's

FCA
FLAME747 is offline Find More Posts by FLAME747
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:55 AM
Joined Aug 2008
5,039 Posts
Nice new plane set-up Shepski. You should get some video of that Dogfighter when the time comes.

Thanks for the Ultra advice. This is very useful. This brings up a good question though.

Should the "2mm Up" for the elevons be set via trim on the transmitter (adjust the linkage at the horn so the elevon is flush with the wing, then use transmitter to trim 2mm up)? Or, should the "2mm Up" be set by adjusting the linkage at the horn so the elevons are up, but keep the transmitter setting at "zero" trim?
Old Mar 04, 2011, 08:56 AM
Joined Aug 2008
5,039 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAME747 View Post
Looks like rain tomorrow will see

Gear Swinger - What throw's did you end up with?

T-Cat - Keep us posted, looking forward to hear how your maiden went, nice paint job.

Rim - Don't you ever sleep

Gotta bug some other guys - then off to the coal mines

Later guy's

FCA
Thanks 747. I'll post up with my maiden report the day I fly. Thanks for the compliment on the paint job. It took longer than I thought it would, ha-ha, but it turned out decent.