SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:01 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Mini-Review
Review of Xtreme MSR Upgrades

I recently been given the chance to test some after market upgrades from Xtreme Productions that have been manufactured specifically for the EFlite Blade MSR. I received the parts today and upon initial inspection, they appear to be of great quality materials and the fit and finish is very nice as per Xtreme's reputation.

I received the following parts thus far:

1. Single Cell 3.7 V 15C 150 MAH Li-po battery

2. Aluminum Black Finish Anti-rotation collar

3. Aluminum with Black Finish Upper Head

4. Aluminum Swash Plate
(This tester is gold color, but final version should have black finish)

I have yet to outfit and test these parts on my MSR, but upon closer inspection of the parts, as said earlier, they are well made and are free of any burrs or any other manufacturing defect of quality control issue that might cause issues. The swash in particular, is very well made. while it is a bit heavier than stock, it is very well built and incorporates the use of a very smooth bearing system much like the larger swash plates Xtreme makes. The swash also has the dual swash settings much like the stock swash. Measurements are to come later.

Stock vs. Xtreme Weights of descripted parts (Grams) with difference in weights given to which is heavier.

1. Swash Plate
Stock = 1.17 Xtreme = 2.06 Difference of = .89 Xtreme

2. Battery
Stock Eflite 150 = 4.48 Xtreme = 4.30 Difference of = .18 EFlite

3. Head
Stock = .30 Xtreme = .38 Difference of = .08 Xtreme

4. Anti-Rotation Collar
Stock = .12 Xtreme = .20 Difference of = .08 Xtreme

As displayed above, the Xtreme parts are a little heavier than the stock parts, in particular the Swash has a weight gain over stock of .89 grams. However, if the user were to use the EFlite 150 Li-Po, they would save .18 grams by using the Xtreme Battery, which I will add is also shorter and wider than the EFlite 150 Li-Po. The Xtreme Li-Po is tighter in the stock MSR battery tray vs the EFlite 120 or 150 Li-Po but it does fit. Its approximately the length of the EFlite 120 Li-Po.

While, I have not yet tested these parts; I am impressed with build quality, construction and fit and finish which I have become accustomed to with Xtreme Productions. Stay Tuned for installation and flight report.

See Pics Below
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:52 PM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Maybe just an optical illusion due to thicker arms, but looks like the swash might be shorter... Interested in your measurements here as if true that would be exactly what I was hoping for from xtreme all along! The helidirect swash is nice, but throws are exactly the same as stock... I would like a performance swash!

Need some new batts too so will pick up some of those if your review is positive.
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:50 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
What is the helidirect swash? microheli ?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:52 AM
Joined Oct 2007
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
What is the helidirect swash? microheli ?

yeah, sorry - was ridiculously early over here in the UK when I wrote that

I meant the microheli swash!
rusty_y2k2 is offline Find More Posts by rusty_y2k2
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:58 AM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Okay thanks
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:27 PM
Master Chief
Joined Sep 2006
2,279 Posts
Hi
I am looking forward to your findings
Take care
Hank
shin is offline Find More Posts by shin
Old Mar 15, 2010, 12:43 PM
Joined Jan 2010
68 Posts
nice!!! let us know how they work out for you
CopterManiac is offline Find More Posts by CopterManiac
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:08 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Okay did some measurment on the swash and battery. Here are my findings

Stock swash arm length = 12.24 mm

Xtreme Swash Arm Length = 10.52 mm

Battery dimensions

EFlite 150
length = 44.17 mm
width = 11.10 mm
thickness = 5.69 mm

Xtreme 150
length = 38.14 mm
width = 11.35
thickness 5.54

The swash due to shorter arms should have more or greater cyclic travle vs stock. I have since installed the parts and am using less aggressive awash settings. I haven't flown much yet, but I think I need new blade grips as it will hover briefly then go into TBE. I played with the blades and grips a little and got it to fly better BUT still a little TBE. So I will have to get more grips, install and retest later. I can say though that the parts were easily installed and fit perfectly. Despite my MSR still has TBE I do feel they the awash has more cyclic precesion over stock. I hope to upload pics ect later tonight.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:20 PM
Master Chief
Joined Sep 2006
2,279 Posts
Quote:
Okay did some measurment on the swash and battery. Here are my findings

Stock swash arm length = 12.24 mm

Xtreme Swash Arm Length = 10.52 mm

Battery dimensions

EFlite 150
length = 44.17 mm
width = 11.10 mm
thickness = 5.69 mm

Xtreme 150
length = 38.14 mm
width = 11.35
thickness 5.54

The swash due to shorter arms should have more or greater cyclic travle vs stock. I have since installed the parts and am using less aggressive awash settings. I haven't flown much yet, but I think I need new blade grips as it will hover briefly then go into TBE. I played with the blades and grips a little and got it to fly better BUT still a little TBE. So I will have to get more grips, install and retest later. I can say though that the parts were easily installed and fit perfectly. Despite my MSR still has TBE I do feel they the awash has more cyclic precesion over stock. I hope to upload pics ect later tonight.
Hi
Thanks for all the specs
Theres some good MSR specific TBE info here
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1115356
And if you havent read this article yet, very good info on the cause, effects and removal of TBE here
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/toilet-bowl-effect.html
Ive used this method on my heli fleet and none exhibit signs of TBE any more
Take care
Hank
Last edited by shin; Mar 15, 2010 at 02:30 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old Mar 15, 2010, 02:28 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Thanks
Old Mar 15, 2010, 08:25 PM
BCPP2/MSR/NovusCP
CANADA
Joined Aug 2007
220 Posts
would you mind taking a picture with the stock swash and the xtreme swash side by side! thanks.
user0125 is offline Find More Posts by user0125
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:59 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
LOL

I apologize and say that I would do as requested, BUT I am too afraid to take off the Xtreme swash as I have it flying well now and dont wish to jinx it.

Sorry

The swash arms are shorter than stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by user0125 View Post
would you mind taking a picture with the stock swash and the xtreme swash side by side! thanks.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:19 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Installed Upgrades

The Xtreme MSR upgrades are now installed and I have a few flights under my belt.

I managed to rid my MSR of the previous TBE, but replacing the rotor links, new grips (can't wait to test Xtreme ones) and the main shaft. I think the major problem was the main shaft had become worn and had elongated holes where anti rotation collar/head connected. Despite all of this, my heli has tail wag, which it has always had unfortunately and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the gyro causing this. With some tinkering, I now have the heli flying GREAT even with manageable tail wag.

I find the MSR now more responsive and precise with the Xtreme swash and even on the lower swash settings, it still gets up and goes when its told to do so. I have only flown indoors thus far and haven't let it loose yet - waiting for gym time, but I have no doubt the more aggressive swash settings will make this a rocket heli.

I have one flight on the Xtreme 150 Li-Po and it is very comparable in regards to power and flight times of EFlite's 150 Li-Po; mind you I have only one flight thus far and this could change. The benefits of this battery are that it is basically the same length of the EFlite 120 Li-Po, save for the fact that its tighter in the battery tray. Now, this should be a benefit in my opinion because if your like me and go from using EFlite 150 - 120 Li-Po's, you find yourself having to re-adjust trims for the difference in CG. With the Xtreme battery, you shouldn't have to adjust CG.

So far I am very happy with these upgrades, and look forward to testing the other upgrades to come.

See pics below!
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:36 PM
Master Chief
Joined Sep 2006
2,279 Posts
Quote:
The Xtreme MSR upgrades are now installed and I have a few flights under my belt.

I managed to rid my MSR of the previous TBE, but replacing the rotor links, new grips (can't wait to test Xtreme ones) and the main shaft. I think the major problem was the main shaft had become worn and had elongated holes where anti rotation collar/head connected. Despite all of this, my heli has tail wag, which it has always had unfortunately and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the gyro causing this. With some tinkering, I now have the heli flying GREAT even with manageable tail wag.

I find the MSR now more responsive and precise with the Xtreme swash and even on the lower swash settings, it still gets up and goes when its told to do so. I have only flown indoors thus far and haven't let it loose yet - waiting for gym time, but I have no doubt the more aggressive swash settings will make this a rocket heli.

I have one flight on the Xtreme 150 Li-Po and it is very comparable in regards to power and flight times of EFlite's 150 Li-Po; mind you I have only one flight thus far and this could change. The benefits of this battery are that it is basically the same length of the EFlite 120 Li-Po, save for the fact that its tighter in the battery tray. Now, this should be a benefit in my opinion because if your like me and go from using EFlite 150 - 120 Li-Po's, you find yourself having to re-adjust trims for the difference in CG. With the Xtreme battery, you shouldn't have to adjust CG.

So far I am very happy with these upgrades, and look forward to testing the other upgrades to come.

See pics below!
Hi
Thanks for all the info
So very happy she is flying so wonderfully for you now
Love the new canopy Syma107 or S10?
Take care
Hank
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:38 PM
R.C. Aviation Fanatic
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,023 Posts
Thanks Hank

The canopy is a Xtreme fuse for the MCX that I fitted to the MSR a while back. BUT apparently Xtreme is making a fuse specifically for the MSR, so I hope to get one of those to paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by shin View Post
Hi
Thanks for all the info
So very happy she is flying wonderfully for you now
Love the new canopy Syma107?
Take care
Hank