HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:39 PM
Moses Lake, Wa.
Joined Apr 2008
480 Posts
Build Log
Starfire 60" all epp

Hi All,

Well I have listened to all of you and I did it, I made the STARFIRE 60".
My good friend Pval3 will be doing the build and test flying of the new Starfire.
I will be getting him the the cores here this next week, so stay tuned.

Jeff
MWCores is offline Find More Posts by MWCores
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2010, 08:32 PM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
611 Posts
I'm very interested!
I'ts not available on your web site.
Would be an awsome sloper with the right airfoil, a PW51 airfoil would be sweet (fast and manoverable).

What's the latest?
cleansurf2 is offline Find More Posts by cleansurf2
Old Apr 16, 2010, 07:07 PM
Moses Lake, Wa.
Joined Apr 2008
480 Posts
Hi,
Well your wish has come true, the airfoil is PW51.

Jeff
MWCores
Old Apr 22, 2010, 04:50 AM
Australia (Newcastle)
Joined Mar 2009
611 Posts
60" Starfire

Outstanding Jeff.

This is going to be THE speed sloper wing.

I was looking at scratch building a Starfire/SKUA1500 wing with PW51 airfoil myself. Your prices, quality and good service make it well worth just buying the cut cores from you.

I recently finished building one of the three Starfire cores I bought from you (I did a motorised version, mid mount), I will add my build and review to your Starfire build log thread.

I have done around 5 hours of sloping on it so far, in 5-20 knots on several slopes. I have several other slope wings, the starfire wasn't as quick as my 54" Windrider Bat (fast wing), but is was faster than my other 48" wings. I was very pleasantly suprised at the speed I got out of it sloping (motor turned off) given the 13% airfoil thickness. The handling, glide ratio and lift are excellent. Inverted speed and resulting lift is even better. The Starfire is my new favourite wing, for sure! So the 60" Starfire with the thinner PW51 airfoil should be a rocket on the slope, with handling to match.

Thanks for listening to everyones feedback Jeff. I look forward to hopefully building one of your new 60" weapons and posting a flight review.

P.S. I noticed on the Starfire cores, you could have almost CNC cut two of your 13% thickness airfoils from your EPP sheet. If the root of the 60" version isn't much bigger, you may be able to cut double the thinner PW51 airfoils from the same blocks of foam without increasing your costs a dime, just re-programing the CNC required. If you could pass some of that saving on to your customer in a 2 for one deal or reduced single cost, outstanding.

When are they available?

Re: your build log, what is "Kellys Cloth" from your build log. I can't find info anywhere. I'm in Australia, so brand names probably won't help.

Thanks
Rick
cleansurf2 is offline Find More Posts by cleansurf2
Old Apr 24, 2010, 02:35 AM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,668 Posts
I want to order 60" Starfire

very happy with 3 other wings from mwcores.com

Wii MotionPlus keeps flying wing level in high wind (1 min 16 sec)
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:41 PM
Moses Lake, Wa.
Joined Apr 2008
480 Posts
Hi All,

The cost for the 60" is 64.00 plus shipping.
For those interested let me know at mwcores2@hotmail.com.

Thanks,
Jeff
MWCores
Old Apr 24, 2010, 10:45 PM
Moses Lake, Wa.
Joined Apr 2008
480 Posts
Hi All,

I will also have the Starfire 48" available with the PW-51 airfoil also.

Jeff
MWCores
Old Apr 26, 2010, 11:19 AM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,850 Posts
Jeff,

what speed are you redesigning this size wing for. I am looking at a slope application for the 60.... how does it differ /what was the foil used on the starfire 48?

thanks

Gary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWCores View Post
Hi All,

The cost for the 60" is 64.00 plus shipping.
For those interested let me know at mwcores2@hotmail.com.

Thanks,
Jeff
MWCores
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
Old Apr 26, 2010, 09:12 PM
Moses Lake, Wa.
Joined Apr 2008
480 Posts
Hi Grfcon,

I think it would be good for speed with the PW51 airfoil. The other airfoil is a mod EH20120.

Jeff
Old Apr 27, 2010, 01:45 PM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,850 Posts
great..thanks Jeff
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
Old May 03, 2010, 10:57 AM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,954 Posts
fmkit
what the heck is that danglin from your airplane in the video??
Is that part of the other guy's airplane from a combat match??
ya gotta love it man!!!
Is that the 48" wing?

Hey folks,
I talked to Jeff friday and he said the cores are on their way.
We decided that the 60 building thread would be done with the mid motor as that seemed to be the most popular setup option on the 48 starfire.

I am still up in the air on motor options, Jeff wants it to go fast and the mid motor creates a conundrum because of the thickness of the airfoil interfering with the free flow of air through the prop arc with the smaller props that are usually used for the high speed stuff.
I was thinking of using the pulso 2826-8 I have that was slated for another build . . running it on 4s and a 9X9 prop . . .
The airfoil is going to be juuuuuuuuuuuust thick enough to for a single 4s 3500 mah pack but I may end up splitting it into to two 2s packs for simplicity and balance depending on the weight and balance needs.

I am still searching out motor options though as I would really like to go with a lighter weight speed setup and 3s...
looking basically to do a high speed power set up on it in the 65 - 85 buck range.
That Pulso is the gas equiv of a .40 on 4s .. . that would let the 60 starfire accelerate like a ferrari vertically without any issue but it would puch the weight up into the 4.5 lb range and I would really like to see it in the 3 to 4lb range with the smaller cell and Mah packs.
Phil
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3
Last edited by pval3; May 03, 2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old May 03, 2010, 12:27 PM
San Antonio, TX
Joined Jul 2004
565 Posts
I have built a Crash Test Hobby 60" Reaper with 13% thick airfoil utilizing a 7X6 prop, 3S 2200MAh to 32ounces. The ailerons are 1.9# and the wing is 1.3# EPP. The build is not necessarlly light utilizing 1/8" fiberglass rods for the A-Frame spar, top and bottom, Extreme Tape in cross your heart, and 5 mil laminate, HS 82MG servos and 60 amp ESC. It is no speed demon running average 300 watt TR35-30A but it will do full power 1,000 foot vertical dives with extreme pull up no problems, no flutter and no break.
cliffo is offline Find More Posts by cliffo
Old May 03, 2010, 02:08 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pval3 View Post
fmkit
what the heck is that danglin from your airplane in the video??
Is that part of the other guy's airplane from a combat match??
ya gotta love it man!!!
Is that the 48" wing?
Phil
that was stability test using my homemade IMU
the 48" wing has just 2x 3x3mm squire carbon tube near elevons (very soft wing) it flew great in 5m/s wind with piece of foam cut off the foam bed the wings are delivered. Same day the same wing was towing flag and digital camera. I use 3 wings by Jeff and waiting for another 48" set.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUkD-0zvRqo
fmkit is offline Find More Posts by fmkit
Old May 05, 2010, 09:35 PM
Moses Lake, Wa.
Joined Apr 2008
480 Posts
Hi All,
The 60" StarFire cores are now listed for sale on my site.
www.mwcores.com under mwc flying wings

Thanks,
Jeff
MWCores
Old May 08, 2010, 06:47 PM
raleigh, NC usa
Joined Aug 2001
1,954 Posts
fmkit

I just noticed your wings are transportable by breaking them in half
would you mind showing us how you did that...making the wings easy to transport is paramount for those with little cars here in the states . . . . .
If nasty nancy and hairy harry get their way we'll be driving even smaller ones real so0n!
Phil
pval3 is offline Find More Posts by pval3