HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:25 PM
USA, IA, Sioux City
Joined Apr 2005
187 Posts
Discussion
EPP Trainer ?????

I am looking for plans for a Epp Trainer for my son to fly. After searching the forums I have found that most trainers are all depron. This surprised me due to the bounce factor of Epp. Maybe Im missing one but would like to know if anyone has any good proven plans.

I have blue wonders and 9gm servos and electronics to donate. I just ordered a stack of Epp for Leadfeathers yak 55 so it has to be epp. I would like it to be rudder and elevator but other than that I am open to any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

Aranel
aranel is offline Find More Posts by aranel
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:30 PM
Lost but making good time
Joined Nov 2008
1,345 Posts
aranel,

Go to the 3D Foamies section and look for "woodbridge 3D Juka". I posted some plans for the "Juka" on that thread last night. Print them off and scale them down to a 30" wingspan plane, and you will have a great EPP foamie that will fly great with a "Blue Wonder" for power.

Regards,

Hankg
hankg is offline Find More Posts by hankg
Old Mar 14, 2010, 03:39 PM
foamies to the end...!
United Kingdom, England, East Susx
Joined May 2004
178 Posts
personally i'd go with tony's bluebaby trainer i just built the 42inch as a trainer for a mate...

be prepared for a big thread though... he uses blue foam, im using a mix of epp and depron. using epp on its own wont be a prob if you use the right size.. the blue wonder will hapily pull the 33" BB with no prob.

do you know what blue motor you have, i think the 1300 is probably the most usefull.

Craig
ukdalai is offline Find More Posts by ukdalai
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:00 PM
USA, IA, Sioux City
Joined Apr 2005
187 Posts
I built a blue baby 33 inch before out of cellfoam 88 awile ago. It was used to teach 3 different people how to fly. I thought of that but the curved wing is not possible with epp. How would you do the wing.

Aranel
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:05 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
I am big on bipes so I would recommend a tiger moth as a very nice slow flying trainer I also like the ultimate bipe Mr Flash Designed AKA foamy Dave in some forums but there are a lot of other nice Bipe designs here that would make very nice trainers.

I am fixing to start on the RCM&E Ultimate 3D bipe Dave designed for that rag back in the December 09 issue.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:18 PM
foamies to the end...!
United Kingdom, England, East Susx
Joined May 2004
178 Posts
i did not use the undercamber wing, i just used the KM3, with 2" dihedral.

its suposed to be a better wing, and its easier to add ailerons later, im also just build the 60" AP2 with the KM3 wing, to carry my vid camera

Craig
ukdalai is offline Find More Posts by ukdalai
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:43 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
189 Posts
Nuball with limited throws.
dean_85 is offline Find More Posts by dean_85
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:51 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,202 Posts
How about a nice glider style EPP with a pod mounted motor to keep it away from the "crash area"
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:04 PM
Winging it Ò>
Joined May 2006
9,781 Posts
EZ-Fly

Aranel, have you seen this one. Nice design by motorhead. Rugged, protected prop, and a very easy to fly epp trainer plane.

EZ Fly
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:18 PM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,202 Posts
Lead, that's a pretty cool little plane ... Great design solves a lot of structural problems ..!!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:24 PM
3Disaster
Las vegas nevada
Joined Apr 2007
277 Posts
lead's epp yak
nerdc0re79 is offline Find More Posts by nerdc0re79
Old Mar 15, 2010, 01:21 AM
USA, IA, Sioux City
Joined Apr 2005
187 Posts
I'm flying leads yak right now for a 3d trainer for me. It is a great plane but does not like 10+ mph winds that we have had for the last week. I have only sort of maidened it. In other words its a tough plane
My son is only 6 so I cant train him on the yak.

I do like the ezfly and printed and cut out plans and epp tonight. I made a change for a bigger prop of extending the triple fuse one inch past the prop slot so I can hopefully not have a stress point. Maybe it doesn't need it but not much weight added and hopefully a lot of strength.

Thanks to all for giving comments.

Aranel