Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:57 AM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,678 Posts
Discussion
Problems with easy tiger models

Guys,
I received my March edition of Model Aviation in mid February like most of you, and was happy to see good coverage of EDF jets inside of it. I enjoyed the E-Jets article and noticed the three Easytiger Model pictures presented within the article. I went on to read Michael Ramsey's review of Easytiger Models F-117 (page 52). I've always loved the look of this aircraft and after reading the article became very interested in owning this one. I've also always wanted a model SR-71 but everything I've ever read told me the aircraft didn't fly well in model form until now. Michael's review convinced me to check out Easytiger Models website about ordering these aircraft.
On Wednesday February 24 2010 I called Easytiger Models and spoke with Curtis Mattikow who claimed to be the owner of Easytiger Models. He told me he had both models in stock and we settled on a price of $550 for both models with free shipping. He said the F-117 would ship priority mail but the SR-71 was too big for priority mail and would have to ship regular post. I asked if he could get those out that day and he told me they had a snow storm and it might be as late as Friday 2-26 before they'd ship. I noticed within an hour of the call, my credit card had been charged $550 by Easytiger Models. On Friday 2-26 I called to order another aircraft, (my grandson had seen the Flying Shark in the Model Aviation article and about had a fit for "us" to have one) I could not reach Curtis by phone. I tried again several times on Saturday 2-27 and again Monday morning 3-1. Each time I called I received a message from the phone company saying "The party you're trying to reach is not accepting calls at this time, will you please try your call again later" I called the phone company and a young lady told me that two things can cause this message.
1. The person you're calling has blocked your phone number
2. The person you're calling has had their phone turned off for non-payment.
I asked if problems with the phone company such as weather could cause the problem and she said "No sir, problems with things such as weather would produce other error messages, not that one".
A couple of years ago I got burned by an Asian company that folded up after they got my money. The first sign of trouble then was phones that didn't work anymore... A knot pulled up in my stomach...
I called the AMA that Monday morning 3-1-10 in hopes that maybe they had another way to communicate with Easytiger Models. I spoke with a very nice young lady who told me they'd have someone call me back as soon as possible. I called twice more that morning only to receive that same message. I tried again sometime after lunch and finally I got an answering machine! I've never been so excited to leave a message! About 10 minutes later Curtis called back claiming to not know who I was. I asked why the phone was off and he said it wasn't. I explained to him that I'd placed an order on the Wednesday before and wanted to know if it shipped and he said it did. About 30 minutes later Michael Ramsey, the editor of Model Aviation called me and asked if I'd heard from Curtis of Easytiger Models and was everything fine now. I figured he'd called Curtis about me and told Curtis to call me and then he checked on me. Anyway, I told Michael that Curtis had called me and said the models were on the way although I didn't know when they shipped and when to expect them. He told me to be patient that New York had had a bad snow storm that caused problems with the phones up there... I felt better for now. I called Curtis back and ordered the Flying Shark for my Grandson. I asked him if he could give me free shipping like the other two and he told me he'd throw in a free battery. I told him I didn't need that battery and he said he'd give me free shipping if I'd call Michael and apologize for my phone call to the AMA. I told him that I'd already talked to Michael and that I didn't need to apologize to anyone about this. I explained to Curtis why I called AMA and was nervous. I asked again for the total charge to the card and he said $179.95. An hour later he had charged my card for $203. I guess the extra $23.05 was for shipping, I don't know. I tried to sit back and be patient about this order. In the meantime I ordered new batteries and receivers and such for all three aircraft from a couple of different companies and all that came in a few days later. On Tuesday 3-9-10 while at home with pneumonia and no sign of any of the models I ordered, I decided to do what I normally do before ordering anything from a company new to me, I searched both RCG and RCU forums for both Easytiger Models and ETM and what I found really, really put a knot in my stomach.
I found one after another problem with Curtis and Easytiger Models posted on both RCU and RCG. In fact I found that Curtis had been banned from both forums! Apparently he has a history of lying to customers and then when they complain about him on the forums he attacks them there. On one thread I found where a guy had said there were many links to Curtis online, I posted a message asking the guy to send me links to these complaints.

On Wednesday 3-10-10 a package arrived at my home. I noticed that it had been shipped on 3-4-10 but when I opened the box up I found the flying shark not the F-117 and SR-71. I called Curtis and asked why I had received the Flying Shark first when it was mailed many days later. Without answering the question he began to rant about how he saw me badmouthing him on RCG for no reason after he gave me this great deal with free batteries and shipping and such. I told him that I hadn't asked for nor needed his batteries and that he offered the free shipping up front. Again I asked why I hadn't received the F-117 and he said he shipped them both regular post since "he had given me such a great deal he couldn't afford priority shipping" I told him he told me the F-117 would come priority mail while the SR-71 wouldn't fit under the priority mail size and he said he didn't say that and then started screaming at me "they're on the way OK? they're on the way!" I tried to talk calmly to him but he'd just scream over me. I told him "Curtis, on our first conversation I told you that I'm very interested in buying your giant scale Bearcat and electric motor package in the next couple of weeks and now after buying 3 aircraft and looking at buying an aircraft and motor package worth over $2500, you 're going to talk to me like this???? And he just kept on screaming and talking over me. I've dealt with guys like Curtis before in business and it's usually not good. These guys behave like this to overcome getting stuck in a corner of lies. He finally got me really upset and I told him that I was going to call the AMA to complain and I hung up on him and did call the AMA. I spoke with a really nice guy named Jim Cherry who is the Executive Director of AMA. He listened to my story and told me he'd work on it. He also asked me to call him when the other two aircraft came in. I appreciated his time. A couple of hours after my call to the AMA, Curtis called back and left a message on my voice mail. In it he said that he was going to refund my $550 and that when the package arrived, he wanted me to refuse the shipment. If I didn't, he was going to have to charge my credit card again. And finally he said that he didn't want my business... (trust me, he doesn't have to worry about that!)
It's now Sunday 3-14-10 (18 days after ordering the aircraft) and I haven't seen the package or the refund and don't know when I will. I do believe the package is on the way, just not when Curtis said he'd sent it. And really the slow shipping wasn't the first time I've been though that, the rude screaming and lying is what upset me. I'm not used to getting screamed at while trying to spend money and do business. The guy has a real anger management problem!
Here's my problems with the AMA in this. I'm a grown man and I should have known better than to order from a company that I didn't know without first checking them out on the forums. Had I done this, I would have NEVER ordered anything from Curtis Mattikow and Easytiger Models after finding all the complaints about Curtis or his "company". It's my fault that I let my guard down because I read the review in Model Aviation the official magazine for the AMA. I realize that Model Aviation can't be responsible for every ad placed in their magazine but I guess I thought the editor would "check out" a company before reviewing and recommending their products. There are now thousands of AMA readers who've read this edition of Model Aviation and might be incorrectly influenced regarding this company. It's alarming to me that others may subjected to Curtis Mattikow's poor treatment of customers as a result of Model Aviations failure to screen it's reviews first. It's this single concern that has me writing this now. I don't want anyone else burned by this guys bad behavior!
Harry McWilliams
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:28 AM
Joined May 2008
106 Posts
Thanks for takeing the time to bring us up to speed on this companies bussiness tactics.
Loopnot is offline Find More Posts by Loopnot
Old Mar 14, 2010, 09:53 AM
Just Happy To Be Here!!!
United States, AL, Tuscaloosa
Joined Nov 2004
1,678 Posts
Thanks Loopnot, it's not something I enjoyed doing. I'm just worried others will fall victim to this guy!
harrymc is offline Find More Posts by harrymc
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:24 AM
Blade Product Development
Joined Apr 2006
292 Posts
wow. probably not a company I'm going to spend my money with.
bgjames111 is offline Find More Posts by bgjames111
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:43 PM
Checking CG is for NERDS!
Joined Jun 2005
5,347 Posts
Wow...

I'm getting out of the vendor commentary business there are two sides to every story.
Smokescreen38 is offline Find More Posts by Smokescreen38
Last edited by Smokescreen38; Sep 07, 2010 at 09:28 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:05 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Sorry you had to learn the hard way about this guy.
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:20 PM
Blade Product Development
Joined Apr 2006
292 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokescreen38 View Post
Wow...

That is serious bull ----.

Sorry you had to go through that, harrymc.
Unfortunately, you're not the first to say that Curtis has a gigantic attitude problem. I chatted with him at the NEAT Fair. He seemed like a smart enough guy but he had nothing but bad things to say about the people on RCGroups...very unprofessional.
Yeah, not exactly endearing to a group of potential customers. Bad customer service never ceases to amaze me.
bgjames111 is offline Find More Posts by bgjames111
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:29 PM
trying to catch Mr. FrSky... It flyes
Joined Jan 2005
1,023 Posts
You can also check at Better business bureau (BBB) for a list of companies with complains. It is sad nice planes on teyr adss.
Thanks for warn us!!!
splitpilot is offline Find More Posts by splitpilot
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:42 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Call your card company - they should refund you and do a charge back since he can not provide proof of shipment.

Funny - I was going to order the shark after seeing it in the Model Aviation magazine. Did a quick search and found TONS of complaints. So he got all that free advertising and I am certainly not going to purchase from him.

Too bad - that was a cool little model.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2010, 02:35 PM
Gravity's a harsh Mistress....
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Jan 2007
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Call your card company - they should refund you and do a charge back since he can not provide proof of shipment.

Funny - I was going to order the shark after seeing it in the Model Aviation magazine. Did a quick search and found TONS of complaints. So he got all that free advertising and I am certainly not going to purchase from him.

Too bad - that was a cool little model.

Mike
Thanks for the heads up. I was eyeing the Stuka, but after this...

Mike, Give Nitroplanes a look for the shark. I got mine there, and no complaints.
southernmd_man is offline Find More Posts by southernmd_man
Old Mar 14, 2010, 02:57 PM
Real name's Teja :)
USA, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined May 2008
1,388 Posts
I guess I was one of the few that got good service from ETM. I went to the WRAM show about a month ago and he was there, with all of his models. I got a great deal for the new 80mm F-15. I guess with these kinds of "small scale" and privately owned businesses, it is better to purchase upfront physically.

Too bad, I was going to order their new golden eagle T-50. And no one else has them!
teha99 is offline Find More Posts by teha99
Old Mar 14, 2010, 04:15 PM
Texas
Joined Jul 2001
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teha99 View Post
I guess I was one of the few that got good service from ETM. I went to the WRAM show about a month ago and he was there, with all of his models. I got a great deal for the new 80mm F-15. I guess with these kinds of "small scale" and privately owned businesses, it is better to purchase upfront physically.

Too bad, I was going to order their new golden eagle T-50. And no one else has them!
Check this site out, and convert the cost to US Dollars, which is a lower cost than what is shown.

http://www.jethobby.com.sg/cgi-bin/e...t&cid=77&gid=1

Hardabz
HardAbz is offline Find More Posts by HardAbz
Last edited by HardAbz; Mar 14, 2010 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 05:32 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernmd_man View Post
Thanks for the heads up. I was eyeing the Stuka, but after this...

Mike, Give Nitroplanes a look for the shark. I got mine there, and no complaints.
Hey great find - thanks! I too like Nitroplanes and HobbyPartz (they own them).

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:19 PM
Real name's Teja :)
USA, NJ, East Brunswick
Joined May 2008
1,388 Posts
Ya nitroplanes has great cheap planes and definitely have good customer service.
teha99 is offline Find More Posts by teha99
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:53 PM
Avoid The Ground!
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Sep 2008
1,058 Posts
From what I've read so far...

Yup, Nitro beats out most others in the same league. I was looking through Tiger's site and was thinking to myself..wow these are all the same models as the others, but one or two, wait...three.. differences:
  1. They hike the prices higher than the competition.
  2. They boast that some models are exclusive to them, when in fact this is the furthest from the truth.
  3. They claim they fly them all..yup...we do too...so???
With these types exaggeration points to boost their appearance, I decided NOT to purchase from them. Seeing this just affirms my decision.

Thanks for the heads up guys, even though we haven't heard from Tiger on this, it still has too many people saying they have heard or experienced the same.

Tiger: If providing minimal customer service and answering a telephone to speak with customers is frustrating for you then take the hint. You are not passionate about the hobby. You are not respecting anyone (customer or no). You are basing business off of personal issues and emotion. The game is over and goodbye forever.

Or turn it around and remove those causing the issues.
Flexserve is offline Find More Posts by Flexserve
Last edited by Flexserve; Mar 14, 2010 at 07:01 PM.
Closed Thread