HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:25 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
The build is going slow but good. I had a housefull of visitors for a few hours so I had to stop, but I'm back on it. The part I HATE is zeroing the servos and then installing the servo arms, kind of a PITA. The rudder servo also takes a few trys to get it right, but you gotta remove the servo to index the servo arm on all servos and then put them back and check for proper operation. Very time consuming and slow going.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:44 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,644 Posts
Spot on......but boy its worth it when your done Amigo. I'll be scratching my head for a bit on these little 206's....but it'll come together eventually.
CopterKid77 is offline Find More Posts by CopterKid77
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:41 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,262 Posts
Labor intensive

you will soon be very glad to have had the opportunity to SHARPEN your assembling skills to a very high degree

the time for your PH-D is almost upon you
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:42 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,644 Posts
Oh I sure hope so.....lol
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:49 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Barry.....any questions, I'm on it. Noteworthy...I NEVER use the supplied heli frame mounts, I make my own. Two reasons: 1. substandard material 2. substandard design. I have had TWO supplied frames fail because of glue or stress so I dont go there. I go to the LHS and buy the material and assemble them (after I design it) with 5min epoxy. Never had one of my frame mounts break even after a horrific crash....but nothing else survived.

Rick......I got my eye on you......
Old Oct 13, 2012, 08:18 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,644 Posts
Thanks Bro.........great info too.

I remember on the bigger stuff, I'd cut 1/2" strips of fiberglass and epoxy them in........seemed pretty good for the size of the mechanics involved.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
In the 450's, you gotta watch CG and weight with a scaler real close. I used a 3000/30c (3S1P and it's HEAVY) battery in my 206 which was perfect for scale flight and lasts 11 minuets. I did some inverted and back/fore flips, but that was pushing it HARD. The absolute nicest thing about having the 206 fuse on there was it made the heli close to 500 size and is a lot easier to see, and wind didn't have NEAR as much effect when hovering. You'll LOVE it when it's working right.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 09:44 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,644 Posts
Awesome.....sure looking forward to it.....no flip flops though...LOL

Bud, storms are headed this way......gotta unplug.......have a large evening.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:07 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
We 're supposed to get lightning, we're getting rain and it's 54deg which is warmer than we've been all day.

Got the head dialed in on the new heli, now I'm setting up the tail rotor. That involves indexing the servo arm so the blades are at zero pitch when powered up not easy because the servo has to be removed each time to adjust it.....no working room. The brite spot is, you never have to touch it again unless you're changing the servo once it's initially set up.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 06:43 AM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,644 Posts
Man....we got a frog strangler....and it still looks pretty nasty. Sounds like ya got it down Bro.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopterKid77 View Post
Man....we got a frog strangler....and it still looks pretty nasty. Sounds like ya got it down Bro.
WHAT is a frog strangler?

Every thing on the heli is set. All I need to do is finish it up....about an hours work. Test run was perfect, zero vibrations, all is smooth as glass.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:43 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,644 Posts
Excellent. LOL......that's enough rain per hour (1.2") to strangle a frog.......lol
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Excellent. LOL......that's enough rain per hour (1.2") to strangle a frog.......lol
Two test hovers and multiple fine tune adjustments. Not happy with the tail authority or stability, may be the gyro is failing. Time to break out a G500T gyro by JR. Expensive, but they work well and lucky for me, I picked up two off E-Bay that were in perfect condition about 2 years ago for under $50 ea.

LOL.....we've had periods of rain that bad here today but the frogs are already hibernating because we've been below freezing every night for a week except last night. I was to warm and couldn't sleep well last night and I checked the temp outside almost hourly. I watched it climb through the night from 54 deg to 66deg by 7:00am. Our night time low was higher than yesterdays high.....right now it's pouring outside.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:32 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,644 Posts
Now that's a deal.. :O)

We finally go some sun......man, it sure feels good.....bout 70 and finally dry....but the wind is still 30 with gusts.....no heli' today.
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:42 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Now that's a deal.. :O)

We finally go some sun......man, it sure feels good.....bout 70 and finally dry....but the wind is still 30 with gusts.....no heli' today.
Put the G500T on....vast improvement. Now it's just tweeking in the finals and getting idleup dialed in. These helicopters are a buttload of work to get flying good and tuned in right.

The sun peeked out here, but it's gonna be short lived and the wind is about 30 here ....thats solid wind and the gusts are worse.