HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:13 AM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
You try with the engine running yet? Curious to hear if the FPM changed.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:20 AM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Yeah...got it all buttoned up yesterday. The flash rate improved being I had to jump the battery to start it, battery was down from testing. I still think the flash rate could be better so I'm going to check on an adjustable rate flashing unit. I've got about 25 days left of riding season here. After that I'm gonna do another teardown, clean, paint, as well as pull the engine side cover to see what's going on with the throwout bearing. Sounds like it may need replaced. I've got all winter to do that stuff including all fluids get changed as well. This winter, the rims and spokes all get cleaned too.

Update: FPM

I decided to try a different flasher relay instead of a straight electrical/mechanical. I bought a $13 flasher that is solid state and utilizes a capacitor, the performance is now dead on. The FPM are good and it starts flashing the second you push the turn button. The other had about a 2-3 second delay before it started flashing, and the flash rate was slower.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Last edited by metalbenderusn; Oct 04, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:39 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Someone call a priest to give this thread last rights......
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:09 AM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Nice... glad you got that sorted out.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:31 AM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,644 Posts
Glad ya got'er fixed Vic. Havin' puter problems....she's old and tired.....kinda like me...lol
CopterKid77 is offline Find More Posts by CopterKid77
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Considering pulling the trigger on another Value Hobby 450, might grab the Pro with shaft driven tail this time instead of the belt. The Pro cost two times the belt, but I know the Pro is worth it. I know for a fact that the belt driven tail is adversely affected by COLD ambient temps and that MAY have been a factor in my last crash.

Ivan,

Yeah, the turns work perfectly now. I rode that bike all over town yesterday doing errands. I've had LOTS of people including bikers come up and say they REALLY like my bike, it looks great. I'm pretty puffed up about that but wait till next spring, it'll even be better. Getting a major cleaning, a new professional paint job, and the throwout bearing replaced, it'll look show room new when I'm done. The final drive is belt, and there's a belt residue on the rear rim. I'm gonna try WD-40 and 000 steel wool to see if I can bring the chrome back on the rear rim. At the end of this month, I'll jack it up and set the frame on blocks and begin the work. Just going day by day.

Barry....any flying? You've had a few decient days last week I know. We've had sort of cruddy rainy weather and lots of wind, so R/C isn't even an immediate consideration at this point. I'm hoping to get a zero wind day to take the T-28 to a location where I can fly it off pavement, shoot some touch and go's, and just get better with it.

Gotta finish cleaning the basement too. Rabbits and the cage need brought in before temps hit mid 40's for daytime highs. Up here, rabbits will freeze to death unless they're kept in a heated space. The rabbits are something I do for the grand kids. I cant have a horse, donkey, goats, or other larger animals because of zoning. I cant stand chickens, geese, or ducks....messy animals.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:16 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,644 Posts
Hahahaha........we'll be raising chickens.....have before and it wasn't too bad...lol.

Yes Sir......been burning pack in the heli and my Grauppy..........had just a few days of nice... now it stroms, rain, cold....gonna be 34 toinght.....brrrrr.......but we'll get acclimated soon.

Going after my little Hobbit........have him for the weekend...I think....lol

Stay warm and take care of all the critters.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:24 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
LOL....This weekend is supposed to be our "no kids" weekend. Man....chickens are NASTY little birds and they poop everywhere. I dont mind eating chicken, but I get nausea watching them them nasty little buggers going through their daily routines. They will EAT anything on the ground that moves too.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:37 PM
Newbie but coming on fast
United States, KY, La Grange
Joined Jun 2012
143 Posts
First time on the Band of Brothers!

I hear 'ya metalbenderusn, yesterday was a perfect flying day here but beween work and having to run home and cut the grass before it gets dark, I had no time to fly. Expecting rain today then cold, windy, and wet all weekend. That time of year where indoor flying is more the norm, thankfully I bought that new Nano! Now if I could just get the dog used to it I could fly upstairs instead of in the basement!
KYChopper is offline Find More Posts by KYChopper
Old Oct 05, 2012, 12:45 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,644 Posts
hahahahaha.............well Partner, somebody has to deal with them....might as well be me...LOL

Welcome KY..........good bunch of folks here. Guys, I gotta shut down.....pretty rough stoms on me now.......talk at ya'll later.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Barry....better you than me on the chickens. Of course RABBITS are bad enough, I have the two grand daughters who feed them (most of the time), and clean the cage which I wont do. Be careful on those storms eh?

KY Chopper....welcome aboard. Yep, mowing, I hate it. I think MAYBE, I will not have to mow again this season because the grass is going dormant real quick. We're supposed to get a plant killer freeze (low 30's) tonight, and the grass has barely grew since I cut a week ago. Time to clean the mower, change oil and filters, call it a season. Lots of R/C time left though because I can fly as long as the sun is out and it's above 40deg. The Harley goes in storage about Oct 31 to Nov 15th for winter work I need to do. I still got about 3-4 weeks of riding weather maybe.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 07:48 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,644 Posts
LOL.......thanks Bro. Rabbits are cool but I understand the "maintenance".....lol...but I'm sure the grand daughters are lovin' it.
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:25 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
I pulled the trigger on the new 450 pro and 4 new servos (about 80 bones). Every thing else off my smashed 450 should be useable. I also had a brand new set of main rotor blades laying around, so no problem. I looked at my smashed 450 to estimate the extent of the damage, yup, pretty bad. I think I made the right choice in just buying a whole new heli. The new one comes with a plastic tail housing and grips but I have a few metal units, so I'll put metal on during the assembly. I have a few 450 belt heli parts and a LOT of 450 Pro parts....I can build an AWSOME 450 pro with the bird I just ordered and adding high quality parts I have laying around.

Gonna clear an area of the basement and get the rabbit cage down stairs tomorrow. Since the kids are staying tonight, I'll make 'em do some work tomorrow because they're old enough to help pull the load.

Thought I was gonna ride the Harley to WalMart and headed out. MAN....I got 1/4mi up the road and got up to 55mph and that cold cut right through me. I turned that bike around and went home, put the bike in the shed. Ended up going to WalMart in my truck......too flipp'in cold for a bike.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:50 AM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,644 Posts
I bet she'll a sweet flying bird. We're both used to salvaging goodies from the full scale world. LOL.

Oh yeah, those young'uns will help ya I'm sure.

I remember when I picked up my 1100 Sabre.....28* ambient....rode her home about 16 miles.. my wife had to pry my hands off the handle bars....and I couldn't feel my face....LOL No more of that ...LOL If things go well for Ol Bear.....that Ural will be here.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
I'm REALLY hoping you get that Ural, that would be awsome. I've been looking at the bigger Harley's, but not real serious right now. I figure a "Fat Boy" might be as big as my humming bird butt could handle. The 883 I'm riding now is as heavy as any bike I've ever ridden or been thrown from. My bike has an awsome "coolness" factor, and other than a minor throw out bearing problem, it's in perfect riding condition. May just stick with what I got and throw money at it to make it better (professional paint and clean, and parts replacements as needed).

Side note: I wonder why when I see that name Ural.....makes me think of urinal??? Dunno.....
Last edited by metalbenderusn; Oct 06, 2012 at 03:33 PM.