SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:29 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
T-28 update:
I got the rudder pushrod delemma solved. The rudder push rod was too long from the factory, you couldn't center the rudder and it would only deflect in one direction. The repair was to cut off the tubing separating the push rod at the servo end and clean it, mark where it needed to be, use thread and super glue to re-attach the end I took off at the proper length for the servo hole. After doing that, it was close, so I bent the "U" section of the pushrod and extended it slightly, and it fell perfect rudder zero and has full deflection. I test flew it (in pretty stiff wind), I didn't have to trim the ailerons at all and rudder was at zero. Should fly great in zero wind now with no crabbing like it did before. It's amazing it left the factory being that bad.....wow.

Here's a video for Rick once it gets loaded....enjoy.

Parkzone Micro T-28 flight (3 min 41 sec)
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Last edited by metalbenderusn; Sep 26, 2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: add video
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:13 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Mowed the yard, two awsome flights with the little T-28.....theres my day.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:00 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,646 Posts
Man.....that thing is quicker than a greased monkey doo.....LOL Looking good Bud
CopterKid77 is offline Find More Posts by CopterKid77
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:18 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,264 Posts
Aain a good job

REALLY NICE FLYING and it makes me feel good that the little plane is doing its thing again.
Compliments on the flight, very solid, highlights the plane`s capabilities.
The ABILITY of the G/D with the camera in undeniable. Myself, I am not able to follow the plane either through the viewer or the screen. She does it VERY WELL

Now I need to post a commentary (very likely this time is the VERY LAST TIME in my life that I feel thisneed because I am out of the hobby for good ) read and don`t take offense.

I have repeated hundreds of times to every person I coached for RC flying :that if they do a whole flight with the throttle stick way up to the top (which is what you do on this tape) you actually diminish and inhibit the beauty of a flight. A T-28 is not a racing plane.....the secret to Model Planing is finding the correct "effect" the plane needs according to what it is.......BiPlanes, Gliders....etc they all need to used as REAL as possible........ When I flew the left stick hardly ever went up to the very top because even on take-off you can capture the "realness"
I just stepped off the soapbox, and I acknowledge your CUSSING ME OUT for being an Elderly Wall Buster..........some of this, plus the arrival of 3D actually gave me a distaste for the Hobby
So be it ! RICK STILL you made me happy for doing so well with it !
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
After I watched the video for the first time, it reminds me of BATS I've seen flying around. It's quick and nimble to be sure. Took my 450 out this evening too. I didn't fare so well. I was in a hover and all sudden it was like someone swatted it out of the air from 12ft up, and it hit HARD. The Jesus bolt that holds the rotorhead was missing, but I found the head of the bolt in the grass (dont ask me how I found it....pure luck I think). The damage looks to be the main rotor head and main drive gears. The rest doesn't look damaged at all. The blade grips pulled right through the bolts....so that's a mess too. Part of the game....stuff happens. The decision now is to fix it, or replace the whole helicopter. The heli is only $36.00, parts probibily will cost more than a whole new heli. Maybe I'll just order two more of these helicopters to get me into winter, and that'll be it for this year for helicopters. Been flying planks more as of lately anyway.

Rick...you are RIGHT. I do need to slow it down a LOT. Still getting used to it, tonight I flew it low and slow but the GD wasn't here to record it for me. I do have a tendency to push these planes to the limit and it does take away from the scale beauty of it. Why would I be cussing you out because you're right?
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:04 AM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Lurking.........
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:36 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Been fighting with the left turn signal on the bike. The WORST kind of problem...intermittent. I checked all light bulbs, all wiring, all plugs, even opened up the switch...it's all good. Boils down to the $160 module under the seat may be bad, cause everything else checked good. Kind'a weird symtoms. At first, if the bike was ideling, the left turn worked normal. THEN when rpms come up, the turn signal would freeze on, now it does nothing. I bypassed turn signal wire on the plug thinking maybe the plug may be bad on that pin....nope. I'm hoping the Harley Dealer has a machine to check the module to verify mine went bad and it's a sealed circuit board so aint no fixing it. If I have to, I may retro wire the system to an older configuration that's simpler and cheaper to replace parts. I have the technical knowlege, I can figure it out. It's a flipp'in relay, it's not rocket science. Odds are the circuit board uses an intergrated circuit chip, and the chip is now bad for the left side turn. It's just inputs, outputs, and timers. It cost them less than $20 to produce the module, and they're getting $160+ just irritates the beans out of me.

Update: The module is another "gotcha" item. It's tied into the speedo which houses the computer that controls everything....you buy a NEW one. Oh well, that's the way the ball bounces sometimes.

Newer update: Did some checking. Yup, I can bypass the module for about $30 on the turn signals. Only needs a 2 pin relay, wire, and a 3way switch....a no brainer that'll probibily take about 6 hours. The time consuming part is chasing existing wires and getting them tied into the switch and relay. After it's converted, it'll cost $3 for a flasher relay if it fails. I'll loose automatic turn signal shutoff and 4 way flashers which I've never had on a bike before anyway and I never use the 4ways anywho.
Last edited by metalbenderusn; Sep 29, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:12 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Really?.........
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:06 AM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Electrical problems are the worst. I wouldn't be surprised if you have a cracked solder joint somewhere in that box. Those Harleys just vibrate everything to death. LOL
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:27 AM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Last night I popped a fuse, it took me a bit to find the fuse box, but I got it. It's comming down to buying two rocker switches, a couple rolls of 16ga wire, and just re-wire the turn signal system totally eliminiating the $160 module. It would sort of be a retro refit of the turn signal system, back to the earlier days of simplicity....and cost effectiveness. It'll take a couple days, but I've decided it'll be worth the effort and overall savings. The REAL beauty is that none of the wires are run through the frame or handlebars. If someone needed to in the future, it would be easy to put it back to factory. Today, I pull the gas tank and get things moving.

Update: I wired in the flasher to L/F and L/R turns (the dead side), and it works. I can completely eliminate the $160 module with a little work and a few items.

Now both sides work, just need to select the switches I'm gonna use. Gonna install the new switches in the same place as the factory switches are now if I can pull it off. I could use the factory switches BUT I would have to HOLD them down for signal, let off to turn them off which could get a little complicated operating the throttle and clutch at the same time as the turn signal.
Last edited by metalbenderusn; Sep 30, 2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:56 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
This guy was on my back porch light fixture looking for some dinner. I'd say by the PILE behind and below....he's had enough.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:21 AM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
LOL... nice picture.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:56 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I have a link to video that might upset Rick. The problem is that aircraft are being built to be able to match the abilities of current 3D. The SBach is built around being able to do what RC planes can do.

Rick, for the record, I avoid going 75% except in quick stabs. But I build for at least 1=1 thrust to weight ratio, and usually more like 3=1.

I hope that you guys enjoy the video

Yak 54 F3P 1 Oct 12 (3 min 53 sec)
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:57 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Perfect heli day, little to no wind and I dont have one flyable. Busy day taking the two grand kids back after a 3 day stay, total of 5 grandkids in the house for the past few days.....I'm spent, the house looks like a mini-tornado come through. Ran the left turn signals through the OEM left switch on the bike, works fine cept ya gotta hold the button to maintain the flashing turn signal. Havent really had time to work agressively on the bike due to being busy and tomorrow dont look a lot better. Hopefully, I'll have the bike back together and working by Wed. Still getting nice days, but by Halloween that's normally the end of riding season here.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
The bike turns are wired in and work fine. Tomorrow, I get to put it all back together. I disconnected both shocks, jacked it up to access the under side of the rear fender, pulled the gas tank to run new wires from the OEM switches. Physically, it's not labor intensive but it is TIME consuming to install a whole new turn signal system and do it right. It's also not rocket science......pretty easy. I need to wrap the flasher relay can in foam to protect it, but it's basically just sitting under the seat. I think it flashes a little slow, it may need a ballastor resistor in line to get the proper FPM. I haven't tried it with the engine running yet, that may change the flash rate having the engine running.