HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:38 PM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
To steal a quote used here, ZIP going on here! Busy with one thing or another but no flying. Sad thing is, I am not missing it? No biggie, like I said I have tons of things going on. The grands kids are out of school so we hope see them more and do some day trips. My grand daughter just graduated high school and will start college in August.

Jim, you have to jump in as a "team" on a deal like that, if not, you'd never enjoy it. Giver her some time. I know I trust my wife's gut feelings with my life, she is gifted that way. She has only bucked me few times in our 29 years and as it turns out she was right on those occasions that we could not agree on. It must be a woman thing????? A built in radar so to speak.
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Last edited by JPee; Jun 15, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:21 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Didn't mow...hot all day. Didn't fly, working on the mini-bike.....successfully I might add. I bought a grip shifter from the local bicycle shop which operated backwards. I tore it apart and removed the ratchet mechanics and re-directed the cable inside the grip....perfect. Then I went to the LHS and got some 1/16" wheel collars to put on the throttle cable. One collar holds the cable on the bottom side of the throttle arm, the other collar I use as a governor set that only allows the cable to move so much. I set it to low speed, and all three grand kids were riding it in the yard (with helmet and gloves). They LOVED it and actually went through a whole tank of gas. I did hook up the brake, but it BARELY works, so tomorrow I re-think the setup so the brake has an agressive lock up when you pull the lever. I may even fabricate a foot brake instead of using a lever on the handle bars.....wont be that hard.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Jun 15, 2012, 10:53 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
JPee,

You're lucky to have a lady like Judy, right on the money all the time. I think Liz's radar is just a Blip off at times though.

Vic,

Glad you made some progress and the kids are having fun with the mini.
On the brakes, normally the front brakes always seem to grab a little more than the rear brakes. You may want to reverse that for the kids. Just a little tweak.
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Jun 15, 2012, 11:25 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Holy Cow...

Here's the latest scoop in the Chopper household. Liz and I have been planning on a vacation for next year and the planning will be crucial. Why you may ask?

Welp, we're off to Alaska. Double YIKES! So far, we're not sure where we're going, when we're going and how long we'll be gone. Lot's of homework to do. Like in Fairbanks, there's only about 90 days of summer and the rest is winter. It can get minus 40 to minus 80 there. Flippin' Burr. We've already sent for a gob of brochures. The current plan is to fly into Anchorage and go from there. Once in a life time journey for me.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 05:31 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Vic,
I hope your doc apnt went well for you and it sounds like you had a wonderful day "back home". I love the lake shore!

Jim,
Sometimes timing just isn't right to pull the trigger on major purchases. Maybe you'll get a much better deal in the future and save some dough!

Dave,
Have a wonderful trip to Alaska. That is one place I would love to visit sometime.

As for me,
I put a new feathering shaft, bearings, dampeners, and main blades on the mCPx today as well as a major oiling. I took it out for a flight and she seems to be flying very well now. I finally did some sustained inverted right down in front of me but it was vibrating and not flying very well. even so I was able to keep it upside down for more than 30 seconds or so fighting my mind to fly it as this was not natural stick movement

Also a couple of friends and I went over to MIS to watch Sprint Cup practice and the ARCA race. That was a ton of fun!!!

God Bless Y'all!

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Just got back from a short ended fishing trip with #1 grand daughter. Rain/thunder/lightning....we had to leave. We did see two MASSIVE bass swimming about, but because of the rain, etc, they weren't intrested.

Dave....this is an OLD mini bike and it only has a brake on the rear and it's not really functioning well. I did do a mod, but it didn't work and is the same as before. I'm looking into material to fabricate a foot brake lever which I know will work better. I need a force multiplier mechanism to make it work right. The one good thing is, the govenor keeps it under control, and the torque converter invokes a drag when the throttle is closed acting as a brake assist. It's safe for the kids to ride it and stop with no problems but I prefer a brake that locks if I need it to.

Jay, the doctor visit went OK. Just waiting for him to recieve and review a copy of my CT scan from Detroit. Once he sees it, I expect a call.

My batteries come in from H/K.....2200/30c x4ea, and I could REALLY use a couple more.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 07:36 PM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Hello Dave,
Congrats on the trip! It is about time you guys did something for yourselves!

Vic, I sincerely hope the new doctor will of assistance to you.
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Old Jun 16, 2012, 08:56 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Vic,
Got ya on only having a rear break, the foot break would be much better. Just a smidge of fabrication, which is right up your alley.

Jay,
The old inverted trick, that's awesome. Something I can only do on the simulator and that's on a good day. The old reflexes just aren't what they use to be.

JPee,
Thanks on the trip. We're really looking forward to it. It's been a long, long time since we even took a vacation. Timing is everything going to Alaska. Especially for us fair weathered guys. Where's my wrap?
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:21 PM
United Kingdom, England, Tedburn St Mary
Joined Apr 2012
225 Posts
Thinking of building a little plane powered by a cox 0.049 engine
What do you think ?
vengeance111 is offline Find More Posts by vengeance111
Old Jun 16, 2012, 09:55 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vengeance111 View Post
Thinking of building a little plane powered by a cox 0.049 engine
What do you think ?
Been there and done that. My personal opinion is that it's NOT worth the fuss of fuel, batteries, and glow plugs that consistantly go bad. Sometimes starting a .049 engine is HARDER than starting a Zenoah .38cc engine. Electric has just become so advanced now....nitro piston engines are less and less an option.

Dave...if you had gotten stationed in Europe instead of SE Asia while in the Air Force, you might still have your Artic Parka....I still do. Use it every winter....
Since I paid for it out of pocket, I didn't have to return it and I didn't.

The foot brake is the route I decided to go and I will use force multiplier series of linkages to get the desired effect. That's gonna be a heck of a welding and fabrication project and should be fun.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 11:35 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Vic,

Lmao! Artic Parka, didn't need that in Nam, it was 110 degrees on the ground and 130 or so in the cockpit of the 52's. Gimme a beer I say.

How about a foot pedal and use a hydraulic piston? Just food for thought.

Vengeance111,

I agree with Vic, electric really is the way to go these days. No muss, no fuss.
Grab your plane, the TX and a pocket full of batteries and you're good to go.
Old Jun 17, 2012, 07:28 AM
Joined Apr 2012
225 Posts
I can see where your coming from on the ease of electric, but nitro would be quite fun I think#
engines are only a tenner, I might get one and see how it goes
Old Jun 17, 2012, 09:45 AM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Happy Father's Day Gents!

Dave- That is a dream vacation for sure. It's on my bucket list. Most people usually try for two weeks. Take the Inside passage cruise for a week the the lan tour for a second week. A train ride from Fairbanks to Mt. Micknley in Denali is a MUST. Take youtr time and plan to hit the things that interest you two the most. A heli ride to a glacier is something I would absolutely HAVE to do while there.

Vic- Sounds like the kids will have a great summer on the mini bike. They are lucky to have a grandpa like you who is involved with them.

Jay- Looks like you had a ball at MIS. Good to get out and relax some, isn't it?

Jpee- Thanks again for all the advice. The timing needs to be right and that will come someday I would imagine.

Off to a nice kunch with the family and father-in-law. Hope you all have a good one.

Jim
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:17 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vengeance111 View Post
I can see where your coming from on the ease of electric, but nitro would be quite fun I think#
engines are only a tenner, I might get one and see how it goes
Vengeance,

The electrics were just our opinions and we gave you the plus and minus sides.
There's hoards of nitro guys, do what feels best for ya and best of luck.

Dave
Old Jun 17, 2012, 01:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
225 Posts
cheers, also got a new 450 on the way, got a full alloy kit from china for a tenner, really impressed with the quality