HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:00 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Dave....you've had your simulator longer than I have and I have a question. I can fly the 450's and 500's on advanced settings with great efficiency and skill. I do still crash with the sim when I cant see the heli or just plain dumb thumb it. I can fly ANY orientation with the sim. My question is "did you notice a higher confidence level and good advancement in skills with a real heli AFTER some time on the sim"? I know the sim is NOT 100% true to life but I haven't been able to fly outside because of weather. Just wondering WHAT to expect when I do get out there.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2012, 01:42 PM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Hello Vic,

While your question was directed to me I will add that a SIM has been very helpful to my skills growing. Yes while SIM's are not 100% real they are close enough to give you the thumb memory you need. I never went inverted until I mastered on the SIM first, not even a try as I knew what the out come would be. I have a 4.5 RealFlight SIM which was good in its day and is now behind compared to the Pheonix but! it still serves me well for learning new stunts.

Thats my .02

Phil,

Finally I found a LEFT HANDED drop leg tactical holster for my protection and a GPS that I am bringing down. I see your buddies hip mount holster but for me on a quad, that looks like it would be in my way while riding the back in the country. The wifes foot is now in a shoe all day but still iced at night. As soon as she can shift, we are loading up and coming down.
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Last edited by JPee; Feb 19, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
JPEE...you know your input is ALWAYS welcome. I've seen your flight videos and you're no slouch with a helicopter. Your answer is EXACTLY what I was fishing for. I understand all orientations of flight with a heli now thanks to the simulator. Minus the actual physical time difference of reaction between real life and the sim of the heli and transmitter setup, it will give you thumb memory as you say. In my opinion/experience...things (gravity) happen FASTER with a real helicopter but the stick input response is SLOWER. That could just be servos and my programming setup that I will be working on. I have found that I need less stick throw and more response to make things happen FAST.

I flew an HBKII on my simulator and I LAUGHED, it's REAL close to being real. If I do a punch-out, I have tail blow out just like on a real HBKII.

JPEE...I checked at the Harley dealer about getting my primary oil changed. It's a matter of removing the clutch inspection cover and a drain plug, replacing the seal on the cover, etc(not rocket science by any means). They wanted $150, I couldn't BELIEVE it. I also know how to check the clutch chain while I'm there...not that hard. I'll have it done in less than 1/2 hour on the first dry 60deg day in my front yard. Thge bike had 6000 mi when I bought it but I'll bet all the fluids and the air filter were the same as when the bike was purchased new. I changed the oil tank oil earlier this year during a warm day in January. I couldn't believe how dirty the carb air filter was when I changed it.
Last edited by metalbenderusn; Feb 19, 2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 05:55 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
And yet another video. I will be switching out the head this evening, I was a bit heavy handed for awhile in the video. I had just flown my MS Composit Swift wide open and that is a full throw plane. Yep there is onboard video of that as well.

Here's the video

TRExi 19Feb12.wmv (4 min 51 sec)
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Feb 19, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
I stuffed mine today (450). Working on replacing parts right now of which I think I have all the parts. I even bent the feathering shaft, and I better check the tail rotor too.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:23 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,269 Posts
Outstanding !

TIM FERNDALE.
you borne out my prediction : with a lot more SPACE AVAILABLE your flight was released from proximity obstacles and you performed an outstanding job.
GOOD FOR YOU
I hope you were saying : " Rick, this one's for you" when those 45 degrees nose-ins were attempted ...
Twice I watched the flight and I was really wishing I was there to share in the moment....GREAT

VIC : what in 'ell R U doing ? crashing ? not supposed to DO THAT when you're a PHOENIX Junior FLyer. GIVE SOME DETAILS so "WE" can learn from your experience.

Still taking care of the family.....chauffeur par excellence, going /taking them everywhere.....ChuckeeCheezes is a favorite, also back and forth from school every day, ballet lessons.......
RC stuff frozen solid.....

just now : learning her BD gift ( KitchenAid) + icecream maker we just finished our first batch of TRIPLE CHOCOLATE ICE CREAM which is now in the freezer....should be ready for tasting in 4 hours ...
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Old Feb 19, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Well Rick....since you're gonna back me into a corner I'll tell you the truth. I DID NOT preflight my heli at all and it's been a LONG time since I had it outside. My aileron trim was off by about 8 clicks (and I didn't notice) and had a tip-over. Took out my crown gear in the front, main drive gear, and a feathering shaft. Lucky for me I have ALL spare parts available right here....nothing to order. I should have it re-built by NLT 10:00pm. Once it's built, I'm gonna program the TX to act like the sim transmitter a little closer. I'm a little irritated with myself right now.....I know better.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:15 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Tim,

Just amazing progress in just a few days, awesome job. I watched both videos and you can tell the difference when you were out at the field. Once you feel comfortable enought and take the training gear off, you'll notice that the heli will be more stable. It's hard to see with your eye, but those training balls are fluttering all the time from the down draft of the blades.

Keep at it your doing more than fine.

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:18 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
Dave....you've had your simulator longer than I have and I have a question. I can fly the 450's and 500's on advanced settings with great efficiency and skill. I do still crash with the sim when I cant see the heli or just plain dumb thumb it. I can fly ANY orientation with the sim. My question is "did you notice a higher confidence level and good advancement in skills with a real heli AFTER some time on the sim"? I know the sim is NOT 100% true to life but I haven't been able to fly outside because of weather. Just wondering WHAT to expect when I do get out there.

Vic,

+1 what JPEE said. You'll do things on the sim you wouldn't try with your heli and it definately improves your muscle memory. And yes, I did notice an improvement in my flying. I've read on some of the other threads, that some of the flyers will practice on sim for a half hour or so before they go out to the field.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:19 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,269 Posts
wrotten LUCK ?

well :

obviously, from the action, your DAMAGE is more caused by bad luck than by the actual damage that one should get from a tip over.

Great that you have the parts.

On my side, when the batteries for the XXXator (!) arrived and after I checked them out for performance, voltage, balance, etc
I installed one of them in the XXXator(!)
and just took off into the wild blue foggy damp air
NOTHING HAPPENED
other than a great flight
( like you, never checked anything, and the XXX(!) had not been flown in months, and months and months
SEE : luck is just a factor

NOT ABILITY ! (before the home made ice-cream, ready in 3 hours)
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:23 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Rick,

I know the chauffeuring much to well over the years, and still haul Liz around all the time. Lol!

Triple Chocolate Ice cream home made, it couldn't be better than that.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:37 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Thanks guys, Rick I made a conscious effort to fly nose it because of your comment. I have my mCPX so twitchy that nose in is dangerous. I CAN change that setting And I will

As for the difference between flying at the field and out front, out front I am working, sort of, on the RADS system. Fly in the box. While at the field I can experiment more. I find the 450 so much more forgiving that the mCPX, probably because it is properly powered.

I am, however, suffering from warm batteries after 5 minute+/- flights that the technical info says should not be warm. More on that in a future post.

Here is the flight that caused the ham handedness. This is a medium speed ridealong, the second in my rollercoaster group of videos.

Swift2.5 19Feb12 RollerCoaster.wmv (3 min 57 sec)
Old Feb 19, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Rick....that's WHY there's a pre-flight. When I was in the Navy, I'd NEVER climb on board Naval Aircraft to fly without LOOKING at it myself before boarding. I trust the guys pre-flighting it but the more eyes, the better chance of catching something, even if it's MINOR. One screw loose in a wing can take out an engine quick. You call it luck, I call it stupidity on my part.

Dave...thanks. I'm almost ready to do a test turn on the rebuilt bird. Heresay...we're gonna see 52deg this comming week, you might see 65. If the wind is down, I'll be out there. The F-16 is the ole standby...it LOVES to fly. If the real ones are as dependable as this little thing, it's gotta be an awsome thing to fly.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:48 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Vic,
Weather here has been unusually warm for thie time of year. We only had 3 snow falls and none of them lasted more than 30 hours or so, before it all melted. I'll take it anytime.

No RC for me until mid April or so, I've got everything put away and batteries on storage charge.
Old Feb 19, 2012, 09:54 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Here is a 20 second video. The question is, "Why is my battery warm?". I flew my Watt's Up meter, and the numbers are nominal. Any thoughts?

TRExi Watt's Up 19Feb12.wmv (0 min 26 sec)