Oh yeah....here comes the snow......

Nice 5000 BTW.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:41 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Well...gas tank is done except ordering the tank logos. Today, I decided to mess with the 500, in which I still am. Tried hooking up the ESC with the RX, didn't work so I hooked up the UBEC. Tried a runup, got a nasty grind sound, have to make adjustments to the motor position. Put my 2650 6S batter on the AC6 charger, I get "broken connection" error, so I investigated the connectors on the ESC and battery, they're good. I think a wire or two is broken inside the wrap that go to the balance connector. The other possibility is that they soldered in the wires WRONG, and I've SEEN that before as well. So needless to say, it's been one brick wall after another working on the 500. I've had to open batteries before to fix the balance plug so this isn't a suprise really, it just irritates me. So, today is becomming a real PITA.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:17 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having one of those days Vic. And congrats on the tank.

I should have the Exi tomorrow night. And I have a truly strange weekend work schedule, so I can inspect and start moving parts over as soon as I like.

Tim
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:31 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Vic,

The fender looks great, too bad the "bug" got into the tank. Unless you have a dust free paint booth, your always susceptible to the eliments. YEARS ago, I was painting a 64 Mustang in my garage, and a darn moth landed smack dab in the middle of the hood. Arrrrgh!
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Nov 17, 2011, 05:32 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Tim,

Congrats on the EXI coming in, you won't regret it one bit. And that's the type of heli that all of us can help you with too.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Dave
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:04 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Dave I will indeed let you know. The T-Rex failure is totally bizarre to me.

Meanwhile, I am working with new flight parameters. I am sort of OK at 45* flight and comfortable with 45* hover. I go to 90* and my brain locks up Clearly I need more practice.

Tim
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:03 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Dave...I got the tank done. Stripped it down and did a "re-do", now I gotta order the HD logos for the sides of the tank. All that's left is the rear fender and oil tank, it'll be a done deal.

Well...that 6S 2650 turned out BAD, so I was up the creek working on the 500. I made a series harness and plugged in two 2200/20c's, that made it fly. Must be getting better at setting them up. VERY LITTLE adjustments had to be done. I havent actually hovered it as in taking off etc. But I did have it momentarily holding it's own over the build table.....that was scary. I will probibily do a hover tonight.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:32 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Update on the 500. Took it out side, it didn't go very well. I did hover it...if that's what you want to call it. It was mostly crisis management on the sticks. I landed it, it has a broken tail rotor blade (all I can tell for now), and the belt loosened up which means the boom moved. Well....I dont have ANY spare parts for a 500, so I'm done with this till I get a set of blades. No crash though, and it sure could have been one.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:46 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNDALE AIR FOR View Post
Dave I will indeed let you know. The T-Rex failure is totally bizarre to me.

Meanwhile, I am working with new flight parameters. I am sort of OK at 45* flight and comfortable with 45* hover. I go to 90* and my brain locks up Clearly I need more practice.

Tim
Tim,

You're on the right track, just keep pushing the 45* to 50*, etc. It'll all fall in place sooner than you would thing. But the practice part is essential. I'm happy for you getting the EXI..

Dave
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:49 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Vic,

So far the pictures you posted of the bike, looks like a great job. To bad about the bug and redoing the tank, but as others mentioned, you'd notice that everytime you got on the bike. Glad you took the time to do it right.

500: You've got more bumps in the road, than Carter's has pills. LMAO! We know you'll get it done pat, for sure.

Dave
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:51 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Yep...got digging deeper, I lost the small belt drive gear too. I doubt I've got $20 worth damage. So far, a $3 set of blades, and a $10 gearset...total of $17 shipped. I'm in no hurry, I'll get them on order tomorrow. Anyway....both my 450's are good to go and so is the F-16.

We might zoom back up to 50deg this weekend (snowing today). That's a GOOD time to pull the oil tank and rear fender. The bad part is, you have to jack the bike UP and unbolt the rear shocks. That's where it'll stay till the rear fender goes back on. I'll tie the bike off and jack it up. I do not want that heavy pig falling on me.

So...in a nutshell, the 500 is in a holding pattern for now. I might pull the broken stuff off, but dunno, depends if I get BORED or not.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:35 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,264 Posts
Ah-1w cobra

well, the MiniTitan COBRA is done. It has been programmed in a way that it is relatively easy to hover and maintain turns, and of course it is now programmed to the SPEKTRUM DX6i so all fine tuning adjustements are now available, contrary to the THUNDER TIGER plastic TX mess it came with.
It was also upgraded to a high quality GYRO.
Now : I will make a short MOVIE of the scaler in flight (need to wait for a windless afternoon) but we are getting perfect weather here.......
Once the movie is done to prove flight
THIS HELICOPTER IS UP FOR SALE STRICTLY TO THE BROTHERS IN THIS THREAD . If, after watching the movie you would like to have it, make me an offer......
No need to explain that having any kind of DX-7 m DX6i or DX-8 you get an operational machine (scaler) with no sweat but the DX6i doesn't go with it since there's a bunch of other a/c programmed into it.
I will also post all the rest of my helicopters ( including the HUGHES 503 with lights) and the RAPTORS (30) 2 of those, as time moves on.

OFFERING THIS only to the Brothers, I don't want to mess around with Statewide problems etc etc

RICK signing off

I have gotten too old for this stuff and I give it up
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Old Nov 18, 2011, 12:21 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Rick....put the stuff down and take a break for a while to think about things. I understand your frustration. Look at me, first out door hover with the 500, I gotta buy a new main gear set, tail drive gear set, set of tail rotor blades, and the battery I bought for the 500 was JUNK out of the box. This 500 project is turning out to be a headache just like the AH-64. At least my two 450's are tight and right. I ordered the parts for the 500 (about $30 worth shipped), and now I walk away from it to take a break. Next week, I'll order a 3000mAh 40c 6S for the 500. I DO know what went wrong, but I cant correct till the new parts get here. Stuff happens, and it's EXPENSIVE with a 500 sized heli. You should keep a couple of the 450's you like, and sell the rest......THAT I agree with.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 07:35 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Lurking................
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Nov 18, 2011, 07:50 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,648 Posts
Lurking too...................got a case of the 'screamers".......man, I need some "Liquid Cork"......LOL
Ya'll have a great evening boys.
CopterKid77 is offline Find More Posts by CopterKid77