Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:47 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
Dave...been doing some reading on the 6S in a 500 heli. Yep, some guys are modding the frame to accept the fat 6S batteries. The EXI 500 I have has aluminum side panels. When the battery gets here, it's a matter of a dremmel, some aluminum stock, and hardware to make it fit where it doesn't throw the CG to badly. I dont think the overall weight is gonna be an issue either. Once I make the mod, I'll be looking at using the one type battery only though. I can handle that. My 6S cost $85 shipped, a little steep compared to the 4S but I think overall, it'll be worth it. I should gain flying time for sure.
Vic,

Just my nickel here.(Cola.)

I hate to see you modifiy a new helicopter to make a battery fit for one.

Secondly, I'm not so sure it will improve / gain flight time either. Maybe some, but not by leaps and bounds. I looked at our basic Turnigy packs. A 5000/40c weighs 937 grams. A 3000/40C weighs 621 grams. For a difference of 316 grams or 11.14 ounces. Well over 1/2 a pound. With that much added weight, you'll definately have to make throttle and pitch curve adjustments. You may want to consider selling the 5000 pack and getting a 3000. Just my thoughts.
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 06, 2011, 08:50 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Ivan,

At minute 1:03, I knew it was you driving. I could tell by the eyes and eyebrows. Pretty good huh!

You're not "Ivan the Terrible", you're "Ivan the Coolest". Great run... I still want "shotgun".

Dave
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:19 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
Vic,

Just my nickel here.(Cola.)

I hate to see you modifiy a new helicopter to make a battery fit for one.

Secondly, I'm not so sure it will improve / gain flight time either. Maybe some, but not by leaps and bounds. I looked at our basic Turnigy packs. A 5000/40c weighs 937 grams. A 3000/40C weighs 621 grams. For a difference of 316 grams or 11.14 ounces. Well over 1/2 a pound. With that much added weight, you'll definately have to make throttle and pitch curve adjustments. You may want to consider selling the 5000 pack and getting a 3000. Just my thoughts.
First...Ivan, what a rush. That was one heck of a run there.

Dave....it's one of those "Ill decide when it gets here" things. The mod is easy and non destructive. Just a matter of lowering the existing battery tray according to the guys on helifreak. The biggest problem is fitting a canopy according to them. I use that 3000/30c on the TH-57, never tried to use it on a stock 450 but I think I will just to see what I'm dealing with. I may end up selling the battery like you say, but I gotta look and see first.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Nov 06, 2011, 09:34 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Vic,

Like you said, "Gotta look and see first". Then make that decision. You can always go backwards on mAh size.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:02 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Vic,

Like you said, "Gotta look and see first". Then make that decision. You can always go backwards on mAh size.
Well....you got me thinking. I just finished a test run of the 3000/30c on a stock 450. WOW!!!! Longer flight time, major POWER, I'm IMPRESSED....
CG only needed a few clicks of trim to compensate, but nothing major. The stock canopy didnt fit, so I took the old HK-450 pro canopy, relocated the grommet holes, good to go. So in theory, the fat 6S might work without much fuss. Now it's a wait and see.
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:46 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPee View Post
Hey Guys,

Ivan, that was outstanding!

Real, I hear you on the car but on the other hand you make the foamy workout baby, very nice.

It has been raining and it is very cold here in LA

On Saturday I treated myself and bought a new Honda EU2000i generator! Me likie, but I really struggled with this one because I already have a generator, in fact three if you count the one in the RV. However, while my old one is in perfect condition and is a Honda EX1600 watt and I take it to the field and it works fine but it is a bit louder than the new ones. I put a Hobbs hour meter on it years and years ago and it shows 88 hours lol. I would bet that it has a near double that but still. Here is another kicker. I found my receipt and the hand book. I bought it 27 years ago! Yes 27 years ago. We only used for the old rv so the girls could dry their hair otherwise it just sat. Then it was used in the big quake in 1994 and now charging at the field. The riff is, it weighs 97 pounds dry, where is my truss???? Now I am big boy at 6' 220 lbs but still carrying it out of the shed to the truck and lifting it up onto the 4X4 tailgate and bed, it is a task. Then repeating that when I come tired, me no likie. The new generator while called a 2000 watt it only provides 1600 running watts with 13.7 amps because it is an inverter type, but it can take a 2,000 watt surge. But the biggie for me is............. it weighs 47 pounds! and that was the trade for the $$$$$ spent. List is $1150.00 plus tax. I got it out the door for $975.00 and that took days of shopping let me tell you. I have my old one on Craig's for $450.00 and will take four. But I told Judy tonight it does gall me that they are darned near a like in performance and some buddy will be able to run for the most part what I can for only $400.00 to my $975.00 OUCH. I hope it sells and I can defray some of the new cost with sale of the old one.

Tonight getting board I took two of my power supplies both near the same wattage and I use "Feather Merchants" how to from HF to bind them together to give me 24 volts. That will kick up my Hyperion to its full potential. However, that is only 180 watts per side. That should allow me to get close to a 2 C charge on my 5000 packs. Right now with a 12 volt input my max is only 6.5 amps in. I also have been looking at the iCharger 1000 watt.. At 12 volt they put out 500 watts! and they have these "para boards" and here is the LINK http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...roducts_id=106
So I have a lot on the table right now. The 700 is still for now until my Airtronic rxs come in. The guy NEVER mail them last week I found after writing a note asking where are they because the tracking umber was dead too. He then sent them off and the tracking number is now good, but man that ticked me off.

I put out a request for information on HF as what batteries they are using on their 700s. After reading all of the input and doing some PMs I settled on getting the GEN ACES as they rated the highest among the guys there for performance not cost. They come to $107.00 delivered each so I will try two sets so I can fly twice and then throw them on my chargers and go fly a 500 or something till they come back.

That's it from California boys, JPEE
JPee,

Man, as long as I've know you, you've always got your fingers into something or another. I mean that in the highest respect. I certainly can relate to getting a generator that's half the weight. It may be pricey, but the alternatives is "Screwing up your back", that's something at our age we always have to take into consideration.. I just notice that the original generator was 27 years old, I had to laugh at that. Liz and I got a huge food freezer for out in the garage, I think about 21 sq. feet. To replace a much smaller one, that was over 40 years old. LMAO! And the thing was, you couldn't hear the darn thing running. They just don't make 'em like they use too. That's for sure.

I've always read good reviews on the Gen Ace batteries, their Internal Resistance beats most batteries, up side the head.

Dave out... heading for some Popcorn
Old Nov 06, 2011, 10:48 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Well....you got me thinking. I just finished a test run of the 3000/30c on a stock 450. WOW!!!! Longer flight time, major POWER, I'm IMPRESSED....
CG only needed a few clicks of trim to compensate, but nothing major. The stock canopy didnt fit, so I took the old HK-450 pro canopy, relocated the grommet holes, good to go. So in theory, the fat 6S might work without much fuss. Now it's a wait and see.
Sounds like you've got a good perspective of what could go on with the 500.
Hope all works out well for ya.

Not doing zip lately. Typical Indy weather, some rain and higher winds this time of year.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 12:36 AM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
When I get everything here, I'll let you know on the 6S fatty in a 500 of how it works out.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 10:08 AM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Quote:
When I get everything here, I'll let you know on the 6S fatty in a 500 of how it works out.
Vic,
I have flown 500s with 5000 packs without a canopy because they won't fit with a pack that size and they are real heavy. Now there are two 500 frame models. Mine were the older 500 ESP. Then two years later they came with the newer ESP frame that was already cut down to fit a 3,000 pack. So I cut the frame on both of mine and it worked out well. But I am hear to tell you there is not enough frame to cut down to squeeze in 5000 pack. Seeing that you bought a clone I would expect that to be the old frame model I have. If you would like some picks to see where I cut and modded the frame let me know.

Let me know what your amp rating is on the 5000, perhaps I can help you. I fly 5000s 45-50 C in my 600s

John
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Last edited by JPee; Nov 07, 2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 11:00 AM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPee View Post
Vic,
I have flown 500s with 5000 packs without a canopy because they won't fit with a pack that size and they are real heavy. Now there are two 500 frame models. Mine were the older 500 ESP. Then two years later they came with the newer ESP frame that was already cut down to fit a 3,000 pack. So I cut the frame on both of mine and it worked out well. But I am hear to tell you there is not enough frame to cut down to squeeze in 5000 pack. Seeing that you bought a clone I would expect that to be the old frame model I have. If you would like some picks to see where I cut and modded the frame let me know.

Let me know what your amp rating is on the 5000, perhaps I can help you. I fly 5000s 45-50 C in my 600s

John
Here are the specs:
Capacity(mAh) 5000
Config(s) 6
Discharge(c) 40
Weight(g) 836
Max Charge Rate (C) 5
Length-A(mm) 150
Height-B(mm) 49
Width-C(mm) 52

I think the above will be to big. I'll be looking for a 4S 3000/40c and I'm sure it will be CHEAPER. I'll have to sell the 6S when it gets here.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 02:57 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Vic,

With the 1600KV motor and 12 tooth pinion you ordered, running a 4S battery, you'll fall way short on headspeed. At 100% throttle, top headspeed would be around 1754 rpm.
You'd be far better off getting a 6S 3000 pack. The difference in cost between a 4S and a 6S is about 10 bucks.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 03:16 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Vic,

With the 1600KV motor and 12 tooth pinion you ordered, running a 4S battery, you'll fall way short on headspeed. At 100% throttle, top headspeed would be around 1754 rpm.
You'd be far better off getting a 6S 3000 pack. The difference in cost between a 4S and a 6S is about 10 bucks.

LMAO...I know NOTHING about these 500's.....can you tell? I haven't bought any other batteries for the 500 yet and apparently it's a good thing. Looks like a 3000/45c in a 6S for me then.
Old Nov 07, 2011, 03:36 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Vic,

It's just a new learning experience for ya, remember back when, we all went through the same headaches, when we went from the old Blade Cp to a 450 size.

Here's a headspeed chart, that you can play around with. You can change any of the values, from battery size, motor size, pinion size, etc.

In the right side column, about half way down the page, you'll see "Align Trex 500 4S" and "Align Trex 500 6S". Click on either one, then look in the top left hand column for all the good information.

http://dhrc.rchomepage.com/calc.htm
Old Nov 07, 2011, 04:08 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
With a 450, I know what I like.

2200/20c stock, 3000/30c for scalers
11T pinion
3800 to 4200kv motor
40a ESC for stock and 60a ESC for scalers.

Now I gotta learn the 500.....
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:33 PM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,203 Posts
You'll get it figured out
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus