HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:15 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,650 Posts
Well Vic..........On full scale 407's with blade tip targets, and other equipment...no prob....but I've only done one four blade model for a friend. I started by using a metal "millimeter" ruler and drilled a small hole to accept a ball link at "0" and did a second where the instructions on pitch link length recommended. In full scale it's called "nomalizing". All pitch lengths are equal....then with a swashplate leveling tool...level it up. . attach the pitch links and ya got a great start. I picked one blade as a "Master" and use colored tape (that I could see contrast) on the other three blades. Number and log 1-4..(I used small stick on numbers on the blade grips) . and spool'er up to track each blade with the master seperately. It actually worked for me and didn't take a year to get'em in pretty close.

Hope this helps more than confuses...LOL
CopterKid77 is offline Find More Posts by CopterKid77
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:40 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Barry...I weighed /balanced each of the 4 blades and marked them #1-4. I tracked #2-4, then added #1-3 blades, and then tracked them to #2-4, and it come out good. Tracking is great, but I still got a LONG way to go on set up but it's a LOT better. Still not flyable, but making progress twords it. VERY INTERESTING STUFF.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:49 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,650 Posts
Awesome Buddy..........I know you'll nail it..!!
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:18 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I have enough trouble with two blades

Here is how the battery cycling went for my TX it took about 15 hours to do 5 cycles and it took until the 5th for the charge discharge numbers to match. And now it is slow charging back to a full charge. Assuming this works out, I just save $35 bucks.

I also have new batteries at the post office so I can determine if I killed the hyperions or not, or wore out the motor or if the TX was being wonky due to it's battery issues.

I hope to get in a bunch of flying this weekend.

Tim
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Sep 23, 2011, 01:26 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,650 Posts
Good luck on the batts Tim........since I'll be getting the new lipo stuff with this next heli......I'm going to spring for the best charger I can afford. I did that "cycle several times" thing with my nicad packs and never had a glitch. I trusted them in an $1800 gas bird . And let me say, I aint no rich guy...the Benzin was a gift from my late parents 15 yrs ago.........it was my first heli.......I know..........and it took me months of practice just to get brave enough to pick it up and then learn to hover. I couldn't afford to wreck it then....and sure couldn't afford it now...LOL
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:39 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I recommend you look into the Accu-cel chargers, back when I was fully employed I almost bought a second one. I have both the accu-cel 6 and a much pricier Triton Jr. The accu-cel out performs the Triton jr in all but one respect, the triton jr is in 50 mah units while the accu-cel is in 100mah units. But for battery cycling it is preset to 5 cycles in both nimh and nicad. And last I saw they were in the 30 dollar range. Not anymore, http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html

I would probably never get up the nerve to fly an $1800 bird.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 03:45 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
....MAJOR SETBACK. I was doing a turn working on the main rotor, one of the tail blades let loose off the hub. Bent some linkage, and lost a bushing that's so small....I might accidentally find it in a week or so. I switched the tail rotor back to a two blade for now. Onward...... The REALLY crappy part is, I put LOCTITE on EVERY screw so this didn't happen, and it still happened. I'll get it done...may have to order ANOTHER 4 bladed tail rotor, but at least I'll have spare PARTS from the old one.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:06 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,269 Posts
http://www.zapiks.fr/share/player.swf?file=50284
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:21 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,650 Posts
Thanks for the info Tim....it's appreciated. yeah, it took me 2 months to take it out of the box and at least start building it...lol. It was almost like working on our 206's cuz it was huge.... 16.7 lbs, .6' rotor span, 23 cc gas engine.....lovely.

Well crapola Vic....sorry to hear that.....dang Bud..........I sure understand the Loctite dilemma ......you'll get'er though.
I remember my first "accident" with the then new CA glues......the cap was stripped I guess cuz I was gently putting a couple of drops on a tail feather holding it in my lap....and WHOA....The whole bottle dumped right there.......hand and part glued to my blue flannel shirt ...that was now stuck to my zipper.....and "things" under that were burning and stuck together...........man, it was embarrassing when I ran into the house shouting colorful metaphors , with "unknown" guests that showed up early.....there was no debonder back then......lets just say it was a bad memory...!!! LOLOLOL

Holy Johnson Rick.........man, I had to change my Pamper...........what a ride....and bad luck......unbelievable he didn't get hurt bad...!!!
Last edited by CopterKid77; Sep 23, 2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:33 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Rick.....did he actually think he could STOP the sled? Well...now I'm back to working on the 4 bladed head. Now I have PITCH probs that I gotta work out in the setup. Like I said, I might get to test fly the airframe in a couple days.....
Old Sep 23, 2011, 04:54 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,650 Posts
Keep plugging Vic..........we's a waitin' patiently Bro.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:32 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
My mSR bling is in the USPS pipeline.

That video is just one more reason to avoid snow
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:56 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Good you didn't get hurt when it let go Vic. It sounds like you got yourself a real brain teaser going on there. You'll get it, no doubt.
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Sep 23, 2011, 06:56 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,269 Posts
Complex now gone !

Got rid of my complex of being TOO OLD (for anything) !.... I managed to install the complex front windshield on the heli , SINGLE HANDEDLY ! no help.... and consider those little black dots that hold the windows to the fuselage are LESS THAN 1 mm ACTUALLY : 0.80 OF A millimeter ! super micro phillips heads screws

AND I THOUGHT THAT WITH TRIFOCALS I COULD NO LONGER SEE !
AND I THOUGHT THAT MY HANDS WOULD SHAKE TOO BAD FOR OLD AGE !

ha ! HA ! BOY....am as good as I ever was
so if I start bitching that I'm too old....JUS' TELL ME TO SHADDAP RICK

AS I WRITE THIS THE UPS TRUCK JUST DELIVERED THE 5 in 1 for FIXING THE 120 SR which should be DONE in about 15 minutes.
Also : THE #2 m CP-x has arrived AND the spares to make the #1 mCP X
fly again (dropped a bearing, remember? )...plus some EC3 connectors which will be used to UPGRADE the charging systems for the LiPo batteries.
BUSY BUSY BUSY BUSY BUSY...............
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Last edited by BARRRICK; Sep 23, 2011 at 07:36 PM. Reason: plus text plus pics
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:35 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Very cool video Rick!!! What a ride huh?
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240