Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:25 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iryna View Post
Hi guys,
I didn't mean to make you suspicious. I am studying in Arizona State University. Currently I am taking an Applied Marketing class where we should apply our knowledge from previous marketing classes in practice. My professor chose this topic because he thinks it is hard to advertise and sell RC Helicopters. My task is to find out more about the target market, which basically is you
Also I had to generate my own information (i.e. not downloaded from the web) And that is what the survey is for.

I have flown some RC planes, but I don't know much about helicopters.

I hope it helps, and thanks everyone who responded.
Iryna,
Color my face red. There are a lot of spammers that show up from time to time on the RCGroups thread and with just one post I was very suspicious about the real goal of the survey. I will gladly take your survey and please no hard feelings. If you ever get bitten by the heli bug you will enjoy it.

Blessings!

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2011, 07:52 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Jim/Wnuk,Did you get your batteries yet from Hobby King? Just curious. I ordered mine on 8/10 and they haven't arrived yet.. Guess that's part of the process, when getting good deals on prices, Waiting! Lol!

Rick,

Thanks for the belated Happy Birthday..

Second oldest Bob...
Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:08 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,647 Posts
Lord...I love the ocean....what a beautiful place Tim....thanks for the vid.

Awesome pic Rick........yeah, 21st Century for real, huh.....lol
CopterKid77 is offline Find More Posts by CopterKid77
Old Aug 28, 2011, 08:08 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Dave.... NOBODY I know goes to a gun show and leaves with nothing......that aint happening. Just decide what you want, find the best price, and get it. Prices are going up for this stuff and finding a deal is GOOD. Today I bought a neat little kit that almost instantly converts my 1911A1 govt from .45acp to .22LR, and also converts back in seconds to .45. I got a deal on it, they go for like $360, I got it for $300 shipped. I cant wait till it gets here...it ought to be FUN.

R/C...yep. I did some MCPx today and came close to holding inverted hover. I did have some electronics problems for a while, tail wouldn't hold, I think I got that issue cleared up but it's to dark now to check. I thought about flying the F-16 or the 450 heli today....didn't happen.

Shed is DONE, moved the generator from my basement to the shed. Next order of business is to do the receptical on the side the house for the generator to plug into so I can power the house completely (isolated from the service grid of course). I look forward to getting the snow blower back from the shop too. That thing is gonna be NICE this winter.

Parts for the Harley should start arriving tomorrow, I'll be installing those. I also gotta clean up the yard from the construction and make a dump run Mon or Tue.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:13 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
I flew at a new field today. Poplar Creek Model Airplane Flying Field which we call Shoe Factory Road due to it being on that road. I had been there many times as a kid to watch but never had anything to fly. I was a bit apprehensive about going because I had heard that the people there were not heli friendly. I was meeting a local heli pilot there to buy a heli off him and figured I would fly while I was there. It turned out to be an awesome day. A little windy but nice and sunny with some clouds. The field was awesome aside from the fact that it faced south. I don't know why but the majority of the fields here face south.... kind of stupid if you ask me. I made friends with the locals and flew planes for a while then switched to helis. Several local heli pilots joined me at the field and we all had a great time. The wind kept most of the planes grounded till people showed up with some BIG stuff. I actually knew several of the plane pilots so it all worked out great in the end. I will be going back there for sure.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Aug 28, 2011, 09:49 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Vic,
I was just totally overwhelmed at what the show had. Just need to do a lot more homework.
It's a 3 day show, first day, pay the price, last day you can negotiate, and cash is even better.
I'd like to get at least one "bolt action" and an AK.. Just don't know what caliber either... It's just for plinking anyway. Picture below is an AK .223 for about 8 bills.

Ivan,

You'd think flying fields would have two locations to fly, depending on time of day, and where the heck the sun is. Duh! The field I use to fly at years ago, you'd always face East, so in the early morning it was hard to see, until noon or so. When I fly at Leslie's house or the Aldis field, I get my choice. Go Figure...

Great you had a good time, and meeting others.

Time for popcorn, and maybe some vanilla ice cream (with chocolate),

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Last edited by choppersrule; Aug 28, 2011 at 10:45 PM.
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:43 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I am truly going to step in it, but I would rather have a mini-14 in 223 than an AK. Unless they fixed the so it shoots straight. That is just my opinion.

CK, I am glad you liked the video. I think I found a spot that I can set the camera up on a tripod and get 5 minutes of surf.

Here is a different video. I set up my hatcam for 16:9, I think it shoots 480X680.

BOC, http://www.badiusownersclub.com/vide...experiment.wmv

Y-T,
mCPX 28 Aug, 16 9 aspect experiment (3 min 51 sec)
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Aug 28, 2011, 11:52 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Yep...those toys are expensive. An AK in .223 usally runs $1000-$1200 depending on what make and condition, and more important, where it was built. Russian commands a better quality along with a higher price. Eastern Europe made is better than Chinese by a mile. Calibers....223/5.56mm and .308/7.62mm are a GOOD/safe bet.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:06 AM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNDALE AIR FOR View Post
I am truly going to step in it, but I would rather have a mini-14 in 223 than an AK. Unless they fixed the so it shoots straight. That is just my opinion.

CK, I am glad you liked the video. I think I found a spot that I can set the camera up on a tripod and get 5 minutes of surf.

Here is a different video. I set up my hatcam for 16:9, I think it shoots 480X680.

BOC, http://www.badiusownersclub.com/vide...experiment.wmv

Y-T, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV4h_vnjYi0
LMAO...this one has been beaten to death (AK accuracy). AK's are tank tough and will do the job they were designed to do. For the record, Mini-14's lack the accuracy of a decient AR15 but ARE more accurate than a AK.....I've owned all of them, I still own the AR15, the AK and Mini are a memory. Given BRUTAL conditions, my money would be on the AK, it just works no matter what you do to it.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 12:17 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,029 Posts
Jay,grillin looks good.. funny i made the same thing today. Steak,couple half ears of corn.. and marinated boneless skinless chicken breast(italian dressing marinade).

Seen those flying fish,look to fly well for indoor and neat looking.. mylar spaceships and star wars stuff would be cool next.

Dont fly helis much these days but will check out the questioner. Curious about the marketing and selling thing? People want them and there easy to sell im sure.. Ofcourse they are not easy to fly and only look like they are because it looks easy when an experienced pilot is flipping and doing tricks etc. If for any reason they might not sell easily its because a good shop owner isnt going to just sell you one if someone wants to buy a 90 class beast or even a trex 450 without being fourth coming about the skill needed and type of heli thats best for a beginner,other than that helis are expensive compared to similar sized planes but still a lot cheaper than turbine jets etc. Im sure there are a lot of other things like maintenance as well that play into a consumers decision. Like anything else if a first time buyer has a bad experience with helis for what ever reason(more so than not jumping into the wrong type to learn) there wont be a return customer or they just think its to insurmountable to learn how to fly one and give up. One thing for sure.. you wouldnt buy a car without a test drive and some shops will let you try various rc vehicles.. not so much with aircraft but the local hobby town usa here lets people try the rc cars and sometimes the small beginner helis depending on the customers experience level or will demo small helis and planes to show a customer that is interested in buying one and never flown anything rc before. You may want to do a bit more research on the topic for your class.. IE talk to people in the industry as well as hobby shops that sell rc helicopters for a well rounded perspective and even more insight into the subject.

Local shop demo

Flyzone Überlites At Hobby Town USA Orland Park Overview And Flight Demo (3 min 40 sec)

Got my order of epp and some other things friday,cut the grx park jet out in epp this time and will have time to fly it maybe during the week or next weekend. It should be pretty cool,depending on set up i can fly it at 5oz lightly powered or maybe around 6-7oz on more common 3d epp plane set ups but will see what loadings it does best at overall and have a couple power set ups for it. The original owens version with the 400 class power set up would be a bit to much for this one and epp planes dont like to that fast.. i could make it work and might even try it later but it would need more carbon to work well in epp(would be sweet in depron though) and i think an indoor class prop jet would be cool. Depending on how flight testing goes i'll probably make a slightly modified design of it for 3d that can hover etc with working rudders.. keeping it simple like the first one for now as just a yank and bank flyer and have a few other planes to work on when i get some time again. Cut out a lot of foam this week,been off and it was nice to get some flying in... quite a bit of flying this week but one night i got some night flying in and that was really nice. Calm air,quiet,peaceful and just really relaxing. I really need to fly at night more often.

3D EPP Planes Night Flying! (5 min 17 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 29, 2011, 05:11 AM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,647 Posts
Great stuff guys.......I'll catch up later.....just been to side tracked......of course I'm easily derailed anymore...lol
CopterKid77 is offline Find More Posts by CopterKid77
Old Aug 29, 2011, 09:12 AM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
It is my understanding that the AK will withstand major abuse. I have never had a mini 14 out on the 500m line. M-16A2, I took that to the firing line once a year, and 500 was easy money.

That is a cool vapor-esque bipe.
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Aug 29, 2011, 04:49 PM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
LMAO...this one has been beaten to death (AK accuracy). AK's are tank tough and will do the job they were designed to do. For the record, Mini-14's lack the accuracy of a decient AR15 but ARE more accurate than a AK.....I've owned all of them, I still own the AR15, the AK and Mini are a memory. Given BRUTAL conditions, my money would be on the AK, it just works no matter what you do to it.
Vic nailed this one! AK's will continue to fire beat up and a barrel full of mud LOL! Oh and those 7.62's hurt a little .
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:19 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Real,
$109 for essentially two planes isn't too bad.

Nice night flying! Your GRX flies amazing! Great job on that designI've wanted to venture over to our local mall at night and fly but never have.

Blessings
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:26 PM
Addicted
United States, CA, Placerville
Joined Jan 2006
144 Posts
nice little foam jets GETREAL, I havnt played with foamies since 2007, I think I might start hacking away on some foam tonight
USMC0351CPLRICCI is offline Find More Posts by USMC0351CPLRICCI