HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:21 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
Rick............looks like a good plan my friend. Even though I want to polish my scale techniques, each flight with a purpose is the best action. I enjoy a rock solid hover....after all, everything with a heli starts and stops with a hover..lol..so to this day, I work at it......and in all kinds of weather too!
CopterKid77 is online now Find More Posts by CopterKid77
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:45 PM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Hey Guys,

I looked up (K)= Kontronic Retailer outlets today and called one who shall remain "nameless" to ask about warranty. Was this call informative, yes! If a K goes bad on you, you do have to send it back to the seller and then they send it on back to Germany. The mailing alone will take no less than 6 weeks. Because of the way they are built they "cannot" be opened for repair so a new one can be sent if they feel the failure was "part failure" and not abuse or from a crash.

Now the technical information. I told the tech that I was dealing with the new 700e and going to keep it stock accept for the K ESC upgrade. He went on to tell me that the stock motor and the K do not "like" each other and often not work well or if at all together. He said many guys go to a Scorpion or other motor. I too have read on 700 Forums about this problem. He did explain it to me why they dont like eachother but I cannot repeat what he said with any accuracy, while I understood it I just cant put back into words
so I won't try. He also explained that only "some" of the version upgrades can be done with K Program Disk Wheel (pictured down below) which is only another $145.00 dollars w/o sales tax added to the already spent $540.00 on the K ESC so now with sales tax on both you have a grand total of $745.00. No but wait, there's more! The programming disk "will only" do some upgrade conversions but not all likethis last one where K did an upgrade to make it a Version 9, you have to send the ESC to Germany for that one

He went on to talk with me on me about CC and their problems. He said that more times than not the CC burns up on spool up and if it burns where it located on the frame that pretty well precludes you from getting a real substantial damage, so there is no real worry here other than being able to auto down "should you" be flying and it fails which he said is rare. It can be upgraded via a computer as to any and all versions or programming, He knows people that fly 700's with CC 80HVs other brand "nameless" motors (the vagueness of some if this is to protect my source at the store) that fly the wheels off with no problems in over 150 flights. So he submitted that make sure my CC ESC has been upgraded to remove the bug when my 700 arrives that they were having problems with in this model and to just fly it. He said, your saving $745.00 and should I have an issue or crash down the line that I am still money ahead. Also, that it is not a common as people proclaim on the CC failure rates.

In closing he said for the type of flying I will do that really insures I probably will never have a problem and........ he gave me some build hints and where there is a frame problem that can be modded very easy to save a potential
rub of two moving parts that can bind and bring down the heli. So that kind of makes me think I should stay with CC and I have read from guys on HF & RR who have had no issues and many flights.

Still no delivery date for the 700e but I am hoping for this week!

JPEE
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Old Aug 22, 2011, 03:57 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Rick...that's how it works for taking off and landing NOSE IN.....just practice.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:18 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,262 Posts
I THANK MY STARS that I have never had any problems with nose in. Even back when we started with the coax.
Remember that LOOKYJ commented on just that ? he noticed in the little filming I was showing with the mCX
nosein just existed for me.
I take off and land nosein normally.
AND I DON'T KNOW WHY THIS HAPPENED THIS WAY

FUNNY ! POST 7682 might just as well be written in ancient Aramaic.....I didn't understand a SINGLE WORD.....

OI VEY ! how ignorant can one be ? [ ME, of course ! ] and still wake up in the morning.....
BARRRICK is online now Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:47 PM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Guys,

You have to see this. An RC plane built in the shape of a bird that literally flaps its wings.

http://www.flixxy.com/airplane-flies-like-a-bird.htm

JPEE
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Old Aug 22, 2011, 05:27 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,262 Posts
Deja flew !

Dear JOHN

(a dear John letter ! WOW !

back on July 22 in post 7043

I posted this film of the BIRD as a gift for y'all ....

isn't it a MIRACLE ??? did you SEE the mechanicas inside !!!!!
BARRRICK is online now Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Old Aug 22, 2011, 05:43 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,640 Posts
Yeah.....it's really incredible..
CopterKid77 is online now Find More Posts by CopterKid77
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:15 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Very cool ornithopter I does remind me that I need to fix my Dragonfly, http://www.wowwee.com/en/products/to...reen-dragonfly. I got a few flights out of it and then forgot how. It needs a new battery.

I got my new batteries from RCDudes. They weigh 1 gram more than the e-flites and are a touch thinner. I will play with fixes for that, since in a reverse flight, with the ever present shaking the battery wants to slide back. My guess is that all I need to do is add a layer of scotch tape.

Performance-wise the battery seems substantially better, but the wind is bad enough that I can't be sure. My throttle seemed to down in the 70's as opposed to the mid to upper 80's. That is entirely consistent with my experience with this battery brand. It also seemed to meter the power more evenly, not punching major juice at first and then hitting a happy spot and slowly fading.

I do have one of the batteries charging on my Accu-cel, so I can give you mah replaced in the two batteries that flew the closest flight profile. That did not work the first time around. I was using a TME 4 port adapter and my charge rate was a smoking 0.1, not 0.7 I programmed in.

I have another charging cord on the way, so I will soon be able to switch through the batteries and nearly not have to stop. A more interesting option just occurred to me, I could plug a charge cord into one of the battery powered chargers and be able to charge when I am elsewhere

More to follow,

Tim
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Last edited by FERNDALE AIR FOR; Aug 22, 2011 at 06:45 PM.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 07:45 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Hey guys,
I have a problem with the mCPx that I haven't heard of. I got one great flight with the heli tonight and landed without mishap... perfect. I immediately put in my second batt and it would not lift off but the swash did want to go left. I eventually found the gear on the screw moving all over when I moved it. I tore it down and found that some of the balls had fallen out of the bearing and no... I did not go looking for them Here is a pic of what I found. I'm going to call Horizon tomorrow and see if they will just ship me a new servo. I'll email them this pic I took.

God Bless Y'all!

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:07 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
That is an awesome find. I never would have thought to look there. Did you remove the gear, or was it already off? Just curious. That is definately a first, that I'm aware of.

Blessings!
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:10 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
That is an awesome find. I never would have thought to look there. Did you remove the gear, or was it already off? Just curious. That is definately a first, that I'm aware of.

Blessings!
Dave,
I pulled the gear. When I moved the servo I could see the gear wobble so my thoughts were bent screw drive or bad bushing/bearing. I had to use my magnifying light to see all of this. The Canon A70 did a good job getting the picture.

Blessings!

Jay
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:12 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Wow Jay- Hadn't seen that one yet. Had a servo stick for me briefly but once it got cleaned all was well.

Rick-Your approach sounds logical. Whatever gets you where you want to go.

JPEE- Reading your post- what makes the Kontronics so expensive compared to Castle? Leave it to you to get to the right contact. Looks like he steered you right.

Tim-Real curious to see how much goes back into the new batteries.

Vic- Did the painting get done on the shed today?
Wnuk is online now Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:45 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Rick...you are TALENTED/GIFTED. I find nose in STILL difficult but do-able, and I have NOT taken off or landed looking at the nose (CP helicopters). The MCX...yeah...I can do anything with that little bird (cept CP manuvers).

Jay...excellent picture and worth a million words.

Jim.....he's got one more day of painting, he'll have it nailed.

Today, I decided I'd work on the snowblower and get it working. I put the Harley in the front yard, and parked my NEW Husquvarna mower next to the house. As I was backing it into the spot I wanted, I saw the right front tire bust right off the bead. Oh great! I went down and looked, there was a strong piece of stainless spring wire sticking in two places in the tire. I yanked it out, went and got my jack. Took the tire to the tire factory and had them tube it. Well, and hour later and $13 poorer, the tire was back in place, good to go. Then I tore into the snow blower. Tried the obvious such as adjusting the linkage for the shifter, and checking the control panel area...no good. I then tipped it up on it's nose against the wall in the shed and removed the bottom plate. I had NO idea what I was gonna run into. I got the plate off and I was simply AMAZED how simple the drive system is. I do need to replace a broken bolt, and then work on getting eveything adjusted inside. I was gonna take it to the shop, and I still might. What needs replaced is the friction drive wheel and the belts, shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred to get it fixed properly. They can fight those springs and gears and all that mess under there.....I'll let 'em. If I can get it working easily tomorrow, fine. If I cant, I'm loading it up and taking it to the shop, there's not a lot WRONG with it and it's built like a tank. Very much worth a couple hundred in repairs because a new one that big costs over $1100.00.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:45 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Hey Y'all,
The 3D HobbyShop addicts were on fire tonight with awesome vids!
The first are from Skip Stewart who is just a wildly skilled pilot but I'm scared he will be in a box soon if he doesn't dial it back a little.~
Skip Stewart 2011 by Scott Slocum.mov (3 min 20 sec)

Skip Stewart flies through hangars in Adalusia, AL (0 min 39 sec)

Skip Stewart - Airplane flies into back of pick-up truck to pick up ribbon. (0 min 31 sec)

This next video is just beautiful and amazing!~
Full HD High Speed Movie - Eagleowl - Photron SA2 (1 min 0 sec)

God Bless Y'all!
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:46 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I am doing one of the new batteries now, on my charger to battery rig.

That TME didn't mention that they had a metering diode on that board is odd. Or perhaps they did, I bought mine soon after they came on the market And perhaps I missed it.
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR