Old Aug 19, 2011, 12:36 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARRRICK View Post
been looking for answers
but somehow they elude me.

OF THE 2 TYPES OF BLADES ( flat - bullets) WHICH IS THE BEST TO USE ?

remember, I may be considered a low experience / intermediate pilot of this type of heli just at the point of beginning experiments with flips etc etc

if you know, also explain what each type does what ?

thanks RICK

ps been called in to work to reinforce, so will read in the afternoon

RICK
Rick...I never took the bullet blades out of the wrapper....doubt I ever will. The ONLY thing they might be good for is flying in a little wind (3-5mph), in my opinion.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 19, 2011, 02:57 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,269 Posts
Crash by dog !

my order for 8 new mCP X batteries arrived from Cali on the second day after the purchase.
they are 300mAh 35C and DO they work well ! WOW... having read VIC's previous post I changed from bullets to the normal blades first.

CRASH BY DOG ?

picture this : it feels like 110F outside, slight breeze. I just HAVE to try the new batts so troop outside and get the mCP-X going. Of course, BEAU is out there also.....

It is so HOT (like an oven) that I elect to fly sitting down on a lawn platic chair,holding the TX in front of me, concentrating on the heli.
I start practicing piros when suddenly the dog decides to come and BUMPS the bottom of the TX I'm holding ...with his nose, looking for "attention"

ya'll can figure out the rest of the story : CRASH BY DOG !

p.s. the mCPX is a GREAT LITTLE HELI....I am just itching to go somewhere with great space and try flipping and looping.......the transition between N and STUNT happens so smoothly, right on the money, and the smalles input below 50% on the stick really yields NEGATIVE, so the programming must be right on..... remains to be seen, until I invert it !

RICK............anybody care to suggest how to keep the big ball bearing from popping out of the plastic swash when the heli hits ?
this one does it every time....

1001 ways to die ?................

not to worry too much : got it fixed up in 3 minutes and have made 3 additional perfect flights ... came back in when MELTING OF THE SKIN BEGAN .......
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Last edited by BARRRICK; Aug 19, 2011 at 03:10 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:02 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,650 Posts
Sorry bout that Rick.....but I know my dog wants to get in on whatever I'm doing....they don't want to miss anything.!! Yep, ya need some space to practice Bro.
CopterKid77 is offline Find More Posts by CopterKid77
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:25 PM
Limey Jeff
Glastonbury, Somerset. U.K.
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Help...My friend (honest) has just purchased a Rapier 450 and unfortunately on the first flight trial, the tail rotor struck the ground causing the drive to the rotor to snap..anyone got any idea how one fits a new drive belt?

Jeff
Jeff Glasser is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Glasser
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:37 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,650 Posts
Jeff............I personally don't know, but there is a bunch of experienced folks here that I'm sure can. :O)
CopterKid77 is offline Find More Posts by CopterKid77
Old Aug 19, 2011, 03:54 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Don't know much about that particular heli but if it's belt driven like most other 450s you need to remove the tail boom. This is usually 4 allen type screws on the frame where the boom enters it. Just loosen them and the boom will slide out from there. Then you need to remove the tail rotor shaft to get the opposite end of the belt off.

Best advice is to find the manual for it on-line and look at the parts diagram. It should be easier to see from a picture than from typed words.

Here is a link to the manual

http://www.f1hobbies.com/shop.php?id=4582&level=
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:03 PM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Thanks Wnuk, we do have the manual but this does'nt tell how to fit a replacement belt, but your advice sounds good. I think it's a case of being brave enough disassembling it to gain access..

Jeff
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:06 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARRRICK View Post
my order for 8 new mCP X batteries arrived from Cali on the second day after the purchase.
they are 300mAh 35C and DO they work well ! WOW... having read VIC's previous post I changed from bullets to the normal blades first.

CRASH BY DOG ?

picture this : it feels like 110F outside, slight breeze. I just HAVE to try the new batts so troop outside and get the mCP-X going. Of course, BEAU is out there also.....

It is so HOT (like an oven) that I elect to fly sitting down on a lawn platic chair,holding the TX in front of me, concentrating on the heli.
I start practicing piros when suddenly the dog decides to come and BUMPS the bottom of the TX I'm holding ...with his nose, looking for "attention"

ya'll can figure out the rest of the story : CRASH BY DOG !

p.s. the mCPX is a GREAT LITTLE HELI....I am just itching to go somewhere with great space and try flipping and looping.......the transition between N and STUNT happens so smoothly, right on the money, and the smalles input below 50% on the stick really yields NEGATIVE, so the programming must be right on..... remains to be seen, until I invert it !

RICK............anybody care to suggest how to keep the big ball bearing from popping out of the plastic swash when the heli hits ?
this one does it every time....

1001 ways to die ?................

not to worry too much : got it fixed up in 3 minutes and have made 3 additional perfect flights ... came back in when MELTING OF THE SKIN BEGAN .......
Rick...the next time that bearing pops out, wipe the bearing clean, wipe the seat clean. CAREFULLY put a VERY small amount of blue locktite on 3-4 spots on the bearing ring using a tooth pick spreading it thin and make sure no locktite gets into the bearing where the balls are, and press it in. Let it dry for about 30 minuets...it should hold fine. I'm just guessing, but it sounds good to me.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:36 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Glasser View Post
Thanks Wnuk, we do have the manual but this does'nt tell how to fit a replacement belt, but your advice sounds good. I think it's a case of being brave enough disassembling it to gain access..

Jeff
It looks to me as though you have to pull your whole rotor head to get the belt in. On a T-Rex it has a separate drive gear just in back of the rotor assembly but I can't see that in the parts break down for yours. Make sure you test that your tail rotor spins the right way before putting everything back together.

Blessings,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:37 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Rick,
I hope it cools off soon for you. Dogs will do a lot for attention

Blessings!
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Aug 19, 2011, 04:42 PM
Limey Jeff
Joined Mar 2009
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
It looks to me as though you have to pull your whole rotor head to get the belt in. On a T-Rex it has a separate drive gear just in back of the rotor assembly but I can't see that in the parts break down for yours. Make sure you test that your tail rotor spins the right way before putting everything back together.

Blessings,

Jay
Thanks Jay, that's what it looks like to us!!

Jeff
Old Aug 19, 2011, 07:11 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Sounds like you had fun Rick, Puppy Power and all

I have a heli 101 question to ask. I had a nominal throttle curve in stunt 1, with a 0-100 pitch curve(line?). I want to get used to just flying the heli, nothing fancy, just fewer touchdowns due to throttle drop. Here is what I did, I watched my tx, as best I could to determine lift off value on the throttle(83%), and usual hover in the wind was about 86%. So I set stunt 1's throttle curve to 81-86. Then I set the pitch curve to match the manual's pitch curve specs for normal.

Did I do a poorly thought out thing? My goal, for now is to get used to heli handling, not inverted flight or outside loops. I am also training myself to use these switch and mix options.

I appreciate any input, positive or negative.

Thanks

Tim
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Aug 19, 2011, 08:11 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Tim,

Nothing wrong with your thought process at all. Throttle curves and pitch curves are a personal preference. If you're doing this to get use to the heli, it's fine. You still may have to tweak some of the settings, until you find the right combination for flying likes. Most helis, fly a bit more stable with a higher head speed, you may bump up the throttle curve to 90 or 95 after a few flights to experiment with.

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Aug 19, 2011, 09:34 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Tim- keep in mind too that once in stunt mode your throttle doesnt change motor speed any longer, it only increases or decreases the pitch of the blades. That is if you have a straight line thottle curve.
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Aug 19, 2011, 09:47 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnuk View Post
Tim- keep in mind too that once in stunt mode your throttle doesnt change motor speed any longer, it only increases or decreases the pitch of the blades. That is if you have a straight line thottle curve.
+1.... Tim, practice hitting the "Throttle Hold" switch... Lol! Really...
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule