HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:11 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Shed:

Where's "Bob the Builder", when I need him. This will be the last one for this old guy, it's taking it's toll. I'm pooped and still have a ways to go.

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:54 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
That canopy looks really good. Think I'll try one tomorrow. Good tip on the canopy holes and makes perfect sense. Guess you gave us the "Tip of the Day"!

BTW: Have you been to the Aldi's field lately?
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Aug 13, 2011, 08:56 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Barry- Tink looks pretty in that pose. Looks like she was letting her hair blow in the wind. Very nice pic!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:18 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Jim,

Haven't been flying at Aldis in awhile. Busy on the shed and stuff. I do get the 450 out in the back or front yard once in awhile and practice oriention. We'll be heading to Leslie's in a couple weeks, I'll load 'em all up then. Speaking of "load 'em", I have fired the new pistol yet either, I'll take that too.

On the paper canopy, it's neat when flying tail-in, the white paper reflects the blue LED from the control board pretty brightly, since there's no clear canopy as the stock one.

Hey Barry,
I forgot to mention too, about how cool the picture is of "Tink", looks like a pose for a magazine.

Dave
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:20 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
LOL...had to catch up. Nice canopy links, saved it to favorites. Shed building project...LAST ONE IN MY LIFETIME. What a hassle, PITA, you name it. Should have hired it built. I was putting on the last few rows of roof shingles and got rained out, more like lightning caused us to leave in a hurry. I got less than an hour on the roof of the shed, it'll be roofed. THEN I get to install the 7ft x 6ft roll up door I got from Menards Home Center. Last thing you need when you have 18" of snow on the ground is a door that swings out, better to have a door that goes straight up to get a snow blower out of the shed.

MCPx...parts come in today. Good thing I ordered a skid assembly, I broke mine tonight. Found what the tail bob and vibrations were....the WHITE BLADES. Went back to stock, flys like new again with the new feathering shaft. I also ordered a new main motor and new blade grips just in case. Now I just need to order another set of stock blades, tail rotors, and another skid assembly, maybe a main shaft. I'm STILL not sure I'm gonna stick with the MCPx, but I'm having a ball finding out.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:29 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
For it's durability alone I'd stick with it Vic. I've hammered this thing on several occassions. The canopy rods are broken on the main frame of mine now and is only held on by the top two and it STILL keeps going. The weakest link seems to be the main gear slipping and CA took care of that. Once I put the 2mm carbon boom on I haven't had one break yet. The tail cage has come of it but never broke. Just slide it back on and back in the air.

Been trying to tune my 450 back into good flying shape. Yesterday when I was out with it each time it went into idle up the tail would shake and vibrate like the gyro was hunting. Did it so bad I wouldn't go inverted with it. Put a new set of 315 pros on it this morning and initial results seem like that nailed it. Got to get to a field to really test it out. Rain all day tomorrow so it'll have to wait till Monday.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:32 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Dave- If I get Phoenix (likely on Monday) are we going to do some on line flying together? The LHS has it for $130. Common Sense has it this weekend for $105 with free shipping. Still think I'll support the LHS. Without him in business parts would be a long time coming.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:38 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,650 Posts
Jim.....yeah, she's a show off...lol she minds better than the kids used to...lol. 55lbs of love.!!

Dave.....I think I have "Bob's" phone number ..LOL. Just take'er easy Bro.

Vic........ Sounds like your about to get a handle on it Padre'.

Finally got to burn a pack....charging again now......it's fun for sure and good practice. Can't wait till I can get a new bird.
CopterKid77 is offline Find More Posts by CopterKid77
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:07 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,650 Posts
I haven't been busting it like you guys have, but my brother did send me a Porsche model to do for his son in law. Man, it's been a long time since I worked with 1/24th stuff.

Here a blurry pic......got a bad close up lens I guess. It's a cheap camera but it takes good stills in the std lens mode.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:12 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Jim....and Barry, this thing (MCPx) has some WEIRD tendencies at times, I dont know where they come from (loosing control of the tail, pitch changes in idleup without input to mention a couple). It could either be my settings, or radio, or anything. I'm STILL in evaluation mode with it but I agree that you can beat the he!! out of it and it asks for more which is impressive in it's own right. Supposed to rain again tomorrow but if the wind is down and it's not raining.....out to the field it goes for more beatings. I did LEARN NOT to fly it over hard surfaces if you're possibly gonna crash. Keep it over grass/sod that's 3" high, no damage will occur if you do stuff it.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:26 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,650 Posts
Vic....I sure do like the idea of tough...I need all the help I can get.......I've been out of it for a long time. I'm sure some of it will come back ...as I've been trying to use the sticks on my Nano.......LOL.....but if all goes well before the end of this month....Ol' Bear will have one. !!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:26 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Jim,

Flying together sounds like a blast, then you can see how bad I really do fly. Hah!

A couple things when you get Phoenix, when you set it up with your TX, follow the instructions to the letter. The swash "type" has to be 1 sero / 90 degree. If you're using a DX6i, you don't need any adapter, the enclosed "dongle" plugs right into the DX6i. Don't power up the TX, no need to. If you do, it doesn't hurt anything, but Phoenix won't work. Also, it checks for the latest version of software, and will let you know if one is available. Also, if any aircrafts or fields are available. You'll enjoy it.

Dave
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:40 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopterKid77 View Post
Vic....I sure do like the idea of tough...I need all the help I can get.......I've been out of it for a long time. I'm sure some of it will come back ...as I've been trying to use the sticks on my Nano.......LOL.....but if all goes well before the end of this month....Ol' Bear will have one. !!
Barry...I found that outside I hand launch this thing, very seldom off ground because of the tall grass and I dont carry a heli pad out there. Also, even toned down, it's VERY responsive to input and very quick, probibily WHY I cant hold inverted hover yet, she's just to touchy....LOL. I can do the ole roll it over into a hover, and then quickly roll it back to upright...unintentional roll back to upright for sure.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 10:58 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
mCP X down:

Guess I'll never learn, but I smashed into the basement wall in idle-up. What a site. Lol!

I was truly expecting the worst. Nothing broken, at least I thought. Then I noticed both blades were flopped down. Hmm, that can't be good. Long story short, the elevator push rod broke / snapped right at the ball link. I do have the CNC swashplate, I'm suspecting over many hard landings and crashes it finally gave out. It's the only push rod that is straight from the servo to the swashplate. The aileron and pitch push rods have bends in them and they flex. When parts come in, I'll rig one up so it has a bend in it.

Off to order stuff. Lol! I've been using "A Main Hobbies", they're the same price on parts as others, but only charge $2.98 shipping and their fast. Usually 3 days and its here.

I gonna go see what other trouble I can get into tonight.

Dave
Old Aug 13, 2011, 11:03 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
Joined May 2010
1,650 Posts
Vic.......I'll sure be looking forward to messin' with that thing. I know you guys are having a ball with them.

Dave....has Liz let you off that shock collar yet.....that's supposed to keep you from getting in to trouble...LOL