HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:33 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Sounds like you are back in business Rick!

Rain has delayed the outdoor maiden for me. Might try some indoor hovering to feel it out.

Jim
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:37 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Jim (Wnuk), very cool you got the mCP X. Refreshing often to see what you think after your maiden!!

Vic, cool gun. Very cool that you can mod it like that.

Kyle, CONGRATS!!!

Rick, glad you got it back and it is flying well. Enjoy that sucker!!

Dave, where the heck are you???
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:54 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,262 Posts
Question

IVAN :

just put in one more flight in the back, a full battery and the cpx really flies well.
Now a question for you :

what are these bulleted blades ?

the flight certainly is solid and steady. Are these bulleted blades to be used ONLY for serene steady flight.?

Of course I now am ready to start DOING SOMETHING. SHould I go back to the normal blades AND do the grommet thing ?
I have done FLIPS and a LOOP once with one of the 450 s so I am pretty confident to try them with this CPX
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE BLADES ????????????????????????????

RICK
BARRRICK is online now Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:05 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Rick, the bullet blades are supposedly designed for fast forward flight... or I guess sideways / backwards too. The non bullet blades are commonly called the 3D blades. I like both blades. The bullets seemed smoother to me and the 3D blades seemed to flip faster. It is kind of a toss up on which would be better for you. I think that the bullets would help smooth our your flips but they might have the tendency to bog a bit more due to the increased weight. Collective control is veryimportant or you blow the tail out (meaning the tail no longer holds in place and the heli piros out of control). Once you get the timing down, flips become just about effortless.

I would say give the bullets a try for a bit and then switch to the 3D and see which ones you like better. I would also recommend putting a drop of CA on the weight in each blade to keep them in place. I guess they come shooting out every once in a while. Most are probably lost during a crash. The heli does not fly well without them.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:31 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,262 Posts
thank YOU Mr. I

that was a good read.

Am putting a drop of CA on the weights. Easy to see the need, also easy to do.

do the bulleted blades actually remove the need to install the grommets ?

Clearly for me to do that is impossible, 'cause I can hardly see the grommet

if you have the time would you explain the deal with the "collective management" please ?...... keep the revs HIGH ? go down a bit but not much?

Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:45 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
I think the heavier bullet blades mask the issue.

While in a hover, if you jam the collective, you will find the tail does not quite hold the way it should. When going from positive to negative collective during a flip, it is really hard on the tail and you can easily get a blow out. The tail motor just does not have enough thrust to keep things sorted out in these hard collective moves. This is what the longer boom helps do. The longer boom pushes the motor further away from the center of the heli allowing the tail motor to apply more torque to keep things in check.

So what does this mean to you? Well, when attempting flips, you may try to jam the collective when coming around to inverted which will blow the tail out. Gently applying collective will keep the tail from blowing out but you have to time it so you don't crash into the ground inverted either. LOL. It will teach you to be gentle, smooth, and deliberately slow.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:46 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
I've just been super busy with everything but RC, I haven't touched a heli in a couple weeks or so. Been out of town a lot too, Michigantown, North Judson, Valpariso, and Merrilliville IN. Lot's-O-driving, Michigantown is the closest at 75 miles, the farthest is Valpariso at about 140 miles. Liz and I spent a couple days at Leslies house and three days at her dad's.

Shed Update: The vinyl siding came in a couple days ago, so I'm now working on the shed too. Unforturnately, it's been hotter than blazes and will continue.
Soooo, work is getting done at a slow pace. I'm guessing two weeks and it'll be completed.

Rick,

Whichever set of blades you are using at the time, I'd highly recommend to grommet mod on the swashplate balls. I'm sure that will eliminate any erratic flying with the non-bullet blades / 3D blades.

Kyle,

Congratulations on your new position. Watch your P's & Q's for a bit though.

That RC grider / stump remover was a hoot. Watching the guy, he wouldn't be able to do Nose-In though. Lol!

Wnuk,

That new mCP X ya got, will be addictive. Ivan's living proof of that. You'll enjoy it for sure.

Ivan,

Videos and flying, excellent as always. You're always pushing the bubble a bit.
How cool is that chair, totally awesome. I'm like Jay, 5 foot 7 and shrinking. Ha! Comes with OLD AGE.

Dave out for now.. catch ya all, on the flip side.
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:51 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Jay,

God Bless ya.

Dave
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:35 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Well I did some outside hovering just before dark between the rain drops. Seems I have a problem though and hopefully Ivan can shed some light for me.

First thing of note is when the heli is sitting on a level solid bench with no air flow around, the servos seem to be hunting and chattering. Given the enviornment I would think the servos should be dead still, no?

Secondly is the main motor. I setup my 6xi exactly as the manual suggested for all settings. When I spool it up, the main gear and motor gear create a noise as if they are meshed too tight and I see no way to adjust the gear mesh distance. The noise is similar to plastic binding while trying to rotate. Ivan- if you could do me a favor and try to rotate your blades by hand and tell me if you feel much resistance. I get plenty, leading me to suspect a motor issue. The heli does lift off and fly but the motor seems to be below normal RPM even near 75% throttle which also leads to the next issue.

The throttle curve is 100% for stunt mode yet the heli will not switch to stunt mode when in normal mode after takeoff. In other words, I ilft off in normal mode and come into a hover. Flip the switch to stunt and the motor RPM doesn't increase. I can prove its not going there by landing the heli and dropping the throttle stick fully down. The motor shuts off instead of just negative pitch being induced. If I set the heli on the ground with no throttle input and flip into stunt mode, the rpms come up as they should but not nearly at the level I hear in Ivan's videos. Something surely is amiss and I'm positive all programming in the radio is correct.

Ivan- hoping you can shed a bit of light my way.

Jim
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:51 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,262 Posts
needed just that

thank you

that was just the kind of explanation I needed to hear.
I was already more or less in tune, but reading it, confirmed my suspicions.

I don't think I would ever "jam" anything on a TX, regardless.

but I WILL follow your advise......REPORTING SOON
Old Jul 18, 2011, 08:56 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
My servos constantly make noise. This seems to be normal.

My main motor sounds quite noisy too. I recently pulled the main gear and ran just the motor up.. it is LOUD!!! There is no mesh adjustment. Make sure both your motor screws are in all the way. I have read that some have found theirs to be loose. Turning the main blades by hand shows quite a bit of resistance. The motor cogs very hard.

I run three throttle curves. 0-75-85 in F0, 90-80-90 in F1 and 100-100-100 in F2. I have never heard a head speed change when switching flight modes.

The stunt mode does not make sense. The motor shuts off when in stunt mode when you give full negative but will start up if you are at full negative and switch to stunt mode? All throttle curves and such come from the TX... the heli should just do what the TX tells it to.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:10 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Wnuk,

I don't know what TX you're using. If it has a monitor mode, go to that menu and watch the throttle indicator when you flip the idle up switch and moving the throttle stick.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:11 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
It seems pretty stable so the servo chatter shouldn't be anything to worry over then.

For the throttle curves. Normal mode (0) is 5 points with L =0%, 1=40%, 2=60%, 3=80%, and H=100%. Stunt or (1) is setup as 100% for all 5 points. Normal mode hover is just over mid stick or roughly 60% throttle. When going into flight mode 1 from that throttle stick position, the motor RPM increase to 100% and at least with my 450 I hear a definite change in motor speed.

I agree that the stunt mode isuue is unique. I need to figure out what's going on. Thanks for checking your motor resistance for me. I think it's the difference between brushed and brushless. Maybe mine is normal then. Think I'll make a quick video so you can hear what I'm hearing.

Jim
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:17 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
Wnuk,

I don't know what TX you're using. If it has a monitor mode, go to that menu and watch the throttle indicator when you flip the idle up switch and moving the throttle stick.
Good idea there. The DX6i does have a monitor menu. I used it to diagnose an issue with my TX at one point.

DX6iIssue (0 min 47 sec)
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:27 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnuk View Post
It seems pretty stable so the servo chatter shouldn't be anything to worry over then.

For the throttle curves. Normal mode (0) is 5 points with L =0%, 1=40%, 2=60%, 3=80%, and H=100%. Stunt or (1) is setup as 100% for all 5 points. Normal mode hover is just over mid stick or roughly 60% throttle. When going into flight mode 1 from that throttle stick position, the motor RPM increase to 100% and at least with my 450 I hear a definite change in motor speed.

I agree that the stunt mode isuue is unique. I need to figure out what's going on. Thanks for checking your motor resistance for me. I think it's the difference between brushed and brushless. Maybe mine is normal then. Think I'll make a quick video so you can hear what I'm hearing.

Jim
Jim....I remember having an idleup problem like you discribed with a DX7, go back through your manual and programming....you missed something in the settings and it's something small that you wouldn't think about. I CANT remember what it was exactly though. Your video SCARES me....LOL.

Richard Barr....the grommets serve a purpose (been reading) even with the bullet weights. I recommend the grommets anyway. The bullet weights increase stability and they say dont go to the 3D blades till you're very proficient with the bullet blades. Not what I know, it's what I read.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn