HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2011, 06:43 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Rick,
Glad to hear your doing well. Keep that OLD chin up and spirits bright.
Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:32 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,269 Posts
help me a little HERE ?

I did indeed go out on the driveway to FLY the AXE400 right after I applied the programming received over the phone/

the result was EXCEPTIONAL

the helicopter flies very very well.

Maybe you wanted to know how this story ended ????

ps : maybe you have an opinion on something:

as I was flying the heli, after maybe 4 or 5 minutes the motor quit running and the heli dropped....fell straight down w/no damage at all. the strange thing is that applying throttle again after it landed, it started right up AGAIN and flew for another 4 or 5 mins. and AGAIN it cut off and dropped.

When I disconnected the battery I found that it was exceptionally HOT.....after the fall none of the "inputs" were missing i.e. the swash moved, the servos all moved, etc etc.

Just the battery seemed to turn off (?).....so I put the batt. on charge and it filled up really quick......

WHAT IS, in your opinion, actually happening ?????
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Old Jan 26, 2011, 07:46 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Rickster,

It sounds like you have a cell going bad in that battery. And the sudden turning off of the battery sounds like the ESC hit a "Low Voltage Cut Off". Try a different battery.

Dave
Old Jan 26, 2011, 08:14 PM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,212 Posts
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:30 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,269 Posts
Miracle in houston

I was sitting here in the house minding my own business when SUDDENLY a big bang in the back room made me go in running...!

there on the bed was a BEAST !

if you believe this ........

y'all maybe remember that my MAIN THING was airplane AEROBATICS......
even placed in the Nationals ( in my category )

So now I can try some AEROBATICS in the smaller sizes. I have already flown the T-28 and it is pretty fantastic, I think this one will be a lot better.

REPORT COMING !...............and they are ALL flown from the DX-7 .... [most of the HELIS as well]
Last edited by BARRRICK; Jan 26, 2011 at 09:39 PM. Reason: add a pic
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:36 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
Rickster,

It sounds like you have a cell going bad in that battery. And the sudden turning off of the battery sounds like the ESC hit a "Low Voltage Cut Off". Try a different battery.

Dave
I did the leg work. They come with a 25a ESC which cannot handle the battery or the stock motor which is around 4000kv...the ESC was over heating and kicking it out.....I'm 98% sure at this point because I went through it with the HBKII. He needs MINIMAL of a 30a ESC, preffered would be a 40a ESC (I like the HobbyWing ESC's). I went to TowerHobby website and checked the factory installed equipment, putting a 25a ESC in that thing was just STUPID and they did it to CUT costs on putting it together.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Jan 26, 2011, 09:56 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
I did the leg work. They come with a 25a ESC which cannot handle the battery or the stock motor which is around 4000kv...the ESC was over heating and kicking it out.....I'm 98% sure at this point because I went through it with the HBKII. He needs MINIMAL of a 30a ESC, preffered would be a 40a ESC (I like the HobbyWing ESC's). I went to TowerHobby website and checked the factory installed equipment, putting a 25a ESC in that thing was just STUPID and they did it to CUT costs on putting it together.
Same crap with Blade 400, an ESC that just won't handle the load.
I'm with you on the 40 amp ESC
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:53 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Almost done:
Jim
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...14&postcount=1
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Jan 26, 2011, 10:53 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
Same crap with Blade 400, an ESC that just won't handle the load.
I'm with you on the 40 amp ESC
I'm upgrading my ESC to 60a running that Bell 206 fuselage. The 40a dont get hot enough to kick out, but it gets hotter than it needs to and I dont like it.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 06:44 AM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,212 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
I'm upgrading my ESC to 60a running that Bell 206 fuselage. The 40a dont get hot enough to kick out, but it gets hotter than it needs to and I dont like it.
I run a 60A ESC on my EXI W/3900 kv motor it stays ice cold
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Jan 27, 2011, 04:33 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracus View Post
I run a 60A ESC on my EXI W/3900 kv motor it stays ice cold
That's what I'm talking bout!!!!
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:08 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,269 Posts
I recommend : !

especially for JAY "1RadioFlyer"

I flew the ULTRAMICRO BEAST today, about an hour ago. Two men in the RC field with big planes waiting for the wind to go down below 10 to 12 mph.

Pulled out the new UNflown BEAST Biplane, stuck a battery in and walked out to the runway. Ignored the "comments from the bystandars" and just took off into the wind :

WHAT A PLANE !!!!! totally OUTSTANDING + AWESOME

it will hold its own even in high wind ! it will DO any and every maneuver you can think of. Made enormous ROUND LOOPS with snaps on the top, inverted, knife edge.....the whole enchilada.....
came INTO the wind and landed 5 foot short of my foot, stopped at the edge of the shoe and it immediately "taxied" backwards...and fast...high wind.
used just the regular settings, no EXPO no D/R this is one FINE AEROBATIC PLANE

JAY : I know YOU will enjoy this one, I just KNOW !!!!! must GET one !

RICK
Last edited by BARRRICK; Jan 27, 2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: ADD PIC
Old Jan 27, 2011, 05:34 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Rick,
Congrats on the flight of the Beast! I held one about a month ago @ the hobby shop. It is a remarkable thing of micro beauty. I might have to get one of these by spring although my wife might just kill me. I now have over 31 planes in my basement and that doesn't include some of my older planes still hanging in my Dad's basement
Great to hear your having fun!

Wnuk/Jim,
Good to ditch the Dish Notwork. I have never been more happy to get rid of a company. Enjoy the HD!!!

Stamp/Jim,
She looks great! I love the 3 blade prop, that should keep it out of trouble

As for me I got the P-38 powered up and surfaces moving.
Bad thing is that I found a neat little silver thing on the ground near my work station. It took me a second to realize it was a broken switch from my Futaba 7CHP. It couldn't have been a switch I rarely use, nope, it is my 3 position switch for my dual rates Dog Gone IT!
I'm going to do some research to get a replacement and while I'm at it I will replace the few that have snapped off of the other 6 CH that I have, also Futaba. This is the only thing I've had break on Futaba transmitters and I've had the 7CHP for over 4 or 5 yrs.

EDIT~
It took me a minute to find that TowerHobbies carries replacement switches for Futaba transmitters and the three position switch is only $5.00. I can handle that

God Bless Y'all and keep having fun!

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Last edited by 1Radioflyer; Jan 27, 2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 06:52 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
OK...we're moving again. Rick...GREAT...soooo cool.
Here's a pick of my 450 supporting it's new paint job...waiting for parts, and the 1/4 scale....waiting for parts:

Added the pic of the orginal 57 I took from, and a training sesson of a 57 practicing deck landings....maybe I can build the boat too. I got a nice river in my father in laws back yard to work with......
Last edited by metalbenderusn; Jan 27, 2011 at 08:49 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 09:23 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Vic- You've been a busy guy lately. The new paint looks incredible! Very nice scheme and great visibility too. The bipe is shaping up too. To me there is no sweeter site than a framed up balsa plane. It's looking fantastic!

Jay- I've had those switches break too on my 6AX. Radio shack carries them but I don't remember the price. If you have more to order at Tower than I'd go that route. Will be watching the All Start Game this weekend. Minus Crosby and Malkin though

Rick- I truly enjoy reading your posts. You have a way of describing things that makes me feel like I'm standing right next to you as its happening! Congrats on the successful flight! Here's to many more!

Good Night Dick!

Jim
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk