to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2010, 03:23 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
I just ordered a Tracfone. Lol!
I checked on the card to add minuets. I was really blown away that my daughter was using it as a primary phone. The card to add 60 minuets, it's $20.00. That's why it's NOT gonna be a primary for the wife and I. Basically, it's gonna be an in the car deal and for emergency ONLY. Jeebus...I know journeyman maintenance mechanics that dont make but $18 per hr, that's about 2yrs of college courses full time.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Nov 20, 2010, 05:07 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I use a Verizon pay as you go phone. It's $15 a month, and whatever they charge for the phone. Free to other Verizon cells as well.

I am ready to go and the weather is not cooperating

Fern
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Nov 20, 2010, 05:28 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Hey Fern,
The helis looking pretty good. Make sure when you have the training gear on, that you have the CG correct. You back yard looks really nice. Don't forget to zig and not zag around some of those obstacles.

On the cell phone, Vic and I are two peas in a pod on that. Emergencies and necessary calls and that's it. No chitter chatter. That tracfone I ordered is $99 dollar per year, only 800 minutes, but I'll never use that many. The phone itself was $19.95. If someone is a phone yakker / "Chatty Cathy, it's not the way to go at all.

High today was about 40 degrees, overcast and windy. I went to the beer store and Miejers, that's it for my report.

Next up..
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Last edited by choppersrule; Nov 20, 2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 05:32 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Here's the tracfone I ordered, nothing fancy at all. It's all I need to call "Ice Pick Willie" when necessary.

http://www.tracfone-orders.com/bpdir...sionId=7808637
Old Nov 20, 2010, 06:01 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Ironically that is the front yard. The backyard is about 20'deep The edge plantings are for some privacy from the tourists. I find it fun to see folks coming to tour the old cemetery discovering a 3D shock flyer cruising the skies. I checked the Radar, I might get a shot at trying out the Rex. Does baro pressure play a role in helis of this size? I know that the pressure is low enough(29.50 adjusted for altitude) that I might see problems with the mSR. And for Ultra Micro planes this is borderline.

Fern
Old Nov 20, 2010, 06:21 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,240 Posts
Hey guys,
Just want to wish everyone a good weekend and a good week!
We're going to pick up our nephew from Mississippi at the airport tomorrow for the week.
Very excited
Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Nov 20, 2010, 06:26 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Hey Fern,
The helis looking pretty good. Make sure when you have the training gear on, that you have the CG correct. You back yard looks really nice. Don't forget to zig and not zag around some of those obstacles.

On the cell phone, Vic and I are two peas in a pod on that. Emergencies and necessary calls and that's it. No chitter chatter. That tracfone I ordered is $99 dollar per year, only 800 minutes, but I'll never use that many. The phone itself was $19.95. If someone is a phone yakker / "Chatty Cathy, it's not the way to go at all.

High today was about 40 degrees, overcast and windy. I went to the beer store and Miejers, that's it for my report.

Next up..
My daughter informed me that a $20 card will auto double the minuets with THAT phone...she bought it that way on a sale or something.

I ran out of 6-32 screws working on the struts, so I had to head to Family Farm and Home. I was supposed to pick up perscriptions today and I forgot, but they're open tomorrow.....no biggie. I LIKE the way MY struts are turning out as compared to the plan suggested...much stronger, and look good too.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 06:40 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Fern,

Don't listen to those weather guys and the baro pressure, their wrong half the time anyway. Take out the mSR and give it ago. BTW, nice FRONT yard.

Stamper guy,

Enjoy the time with the nephew, still time to let a few rockets go.
Have a grand time with him.

Vic,

Tracfone does have double minutes on certain phones, the one I got is double minutes too. More marketing crap. 2 for 1, she'll still use them all up.

Dave
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:06 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Fern,

Don't listen to those weather guys and the baro pressure, their wrong half the time anyway. Take out the mSR and give it ago. BTW, nice FRONT yard.

Stamper guy,

Enjoy the time with the nephew, still time to let a few rockets go.
Have a grand time with him.

Vic,

Tracfone does have double minutes on certain phones, the one I got is double minutes too. More marketing crap. 2 for 1, she'll still use them all up.

Dave
She gave me the trac fone....she's got a boost mobil. Supposedly, $50 per month unlimited phone/txt INCONUS. Considering a wall phone with NO long distance is almost $40 per month, so boost is the way for her to go. So now she has a decient portable and a decient price....lets see how many calls get dropped...LMAO. My son has the dropped call thing a LOT.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 07:46 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Vic,

LMAO, a WALL PHONE! LOL! You crack me up.

I haven't heard that term in years, and you know I worked for the phone company for almost 30 years. I keep forgeting how much land line service is, one of the perks being retired from the industry is free life time service, with 200 minutes of long distance, per month. For her, at $50 bucks a month for unlimited talk/text time isn't that bad at all.

The dropped call thing with your son, that depends on the area you live in, how many towers in the area, and if you're in an area where the cell tower ranges overlap. Also, volume of calls per tower. The range of the cell towers also depends on population, in suburban areas 1 to 2 miles. In dense urban areas it may be 1/4 to 1/2 mile. Out in the boon docks, it may be 30 miles.
The closer range in highly populated areas is to handle the call volume.

See my scientific picture of cell towers. LMAO! As you drive down the streets or highways, your called will be switched from one QUARTER to the next QUARTER. On a dropped call, it's kinda like, Heads you win, Tails you loose.

It's amazing that we all don't glow in the dark, with all the radio waves that bombard us everyday. Cell tower, satellite signals, microwave, the list goes on.
Dave
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:08 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
That would explain why I don't need a night light to see my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night....LMAO.

Listened to Barry's interview...interesting stuff there.
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:16 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Barry's something else, one heck of a guy and what a back ground. Turned wrenches on planes and now nut turning with helis. Sold cars too.

Dave
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:16 PM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,202 Posts
Ahh thats why my pee glows in the dark.
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Nov 20, 2010, 09:32 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I have my own weather gear. And the mSR was a touch less flyable. Actually in straight airplane mode the heli would not fly. When I switched to Heli mode the mSR flew fine. But the thin air was evident.

Fern