Old Nov 14, 2010, 10:19 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracus View Post
Dish/Direct Tv whats that? LOL

I quit the dish thing awhile ago, now I just use a 40ft antennae Im 1/2 way in between Indy and Bloomington so on a good day I can get like 10 channels
Kyle,

You should be able to get a lot more channels than that. Here's a TV station antenna locator. I didn't know your zip code, so I just took a random one from the zip code data base for Terre Haute.

A good antenna will have a range of about 150 miles.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a3e6639ef558
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2010, 04:50 PM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
Kyle,

You should be able to get a lot more channels than that. Here's a TV station antenna locator. I didn't know your zip code, so I just took a random one from the zip code data base for Terre Haute.

A good antenna will have a range of about 150 miles.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a3e6639ef558
I could get more with a 2nd antenna. Yeah that tool is pretty close to what I get, it all depends on db level(signal) the lower the number the worse the signal, plus digital does not carry as far as analog and your usually not going to pick up a digital signal lower than 0. With analog you got snow/static digital has pixelation/artifacts plus most dig tuners need a minimum signal level to assemble the picture. Remember 1st civilian job was a cable man Here is my area.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a35d36a3ec8e
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:06 PM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
OK....so what's a GOOD helicopter engine? I thought OS was pretty much top of the heap, but I guess it does matter which model you buy like difference between LA and whatever else. One is better than the other but same size. One has cheaper components inside, or ringed or whatever. I do know this, I wont touch FOX or Super Tiger anything.
OS are good engines just 50-55 not 55hz used the same bearings which the race would break down 1st and get in the rest of the bearing. It biggest problem with the bearings is rusting main cause is moisture. YS engines use bigger rear bearings(compared to OS & TT) which can handle the BIG power and heat these tiny engines can put out. OS is the most popular! Most Popular is not always the best The TT 53h had problems with the carb sticking, TT released engines with a newer carb but some still complain of sticky carb(never had that on mine). Then there are Novarossi and YS which are the tops, KME which is gaining popularity with huge power and bigger bore engines, then Align which is a re-branded OS(who would have guessed).
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Nov 15, 2010, 05:32 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
I could get more with a 2nd antenna. Yeah that tool is pretty close to what I get, it all depends on db level(signal) the lower the number the worse the signal, plus digital does not carry as far as analog and your usually not going to pick up a digital signal lower than 0. With analog you got snow/static digital has pixelation/artifacts plus most dig tuners need a minimum signal level to assemble the picture. Remember 1st civilian job was a cable man Here is my area.

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wr...81a35d36a3ec8e
Kyle,

Huh, I learned something here, I didn't know that digital signals don't travel as far as analog. I had the Indy special attenna system set up about 10 years ago (three antennas stacked on one pole, all pointed in different directions.) Worked great and I got like 23 stations. Wired in parallel.
I forgot you were a cable guy. Just another Dumb ass attack, to add to my list.

Dave
Old Nov 15, 2010, 06:14 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
I can't even get radio signals where I live. Other than on an emergency radio. The repeaters are set on the side of a hill that I am in the lee of. For TV I am a Dtv guy having had both now.

I have training gear in the mail, so the T-Rex is back on my list. Flying the mSR outside has my heli bug working again.

Fern
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Nov 15, 2010, 07:38 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Sending the dish stuff back. I decided to make my own packing with foam and stuff. I used one of there boxes instead of the (2) they sent. I just checked shipping from UPS with delivery conformation and value of $400. It will cost me $25. I just saved $5 and Dish can kiss my........ Sorry. I'm very disappointed with dish and how they do things.
I will never have dish notwork ever again. The U-verse has been working quite well. A few bugs we had to work out but the customer service has been superb.

Blessings All,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:35 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Jay,

I'm the same as you, if a company me off for any reason, I'm outta there forever. Several of the local stores here in Greenwood, I'll never shop there again because of bad service.

Quick story about Liz at Best Buys.
She got treated so rudely at their customer service station, the employee had Liz almost in tears. We talked to the store manager about it, he said, that this wasn't the first report of the employees conduct. He made things right for Liz and fired the employee on the spot. Kudos to him. I'll go back to Best Buys. But the others I won't.

Back to TV stuff. I currently have Direct TV, I'm happy with the service, but every year they keep increasing the monthly bill. Not happy with that at all.

I did finally check into U-verse. Next Feburary, I'll be getting U-verse, when my contract is over with Direct TV.. Oh, BTW.. I did find out that I get a 25% discount, being a retired telephone guy.

Your mileage may vary. WHAT????

Blessings,
Dave
Old Nov 15, 2010, 08:50 PM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Hello Boys,

TOPIC: Dish and Cable TV

Some of you guys might be aware of this but it bears sharing. There is a website called HULU TV. Now this site plays the main network channel shows a few days later. Yes they have commercials but they are farrrrr shorter than public TV/cable. Even better they host tons and tons of old shows by catagory. Anyway, I just plug in a HDMI into the TV from the computer and WA-LA your watching your favorite shows free on the big screen. Some guys here are keeping their "data" cable service for their computers and dropping the TV end of their bill! Its kinda like having NETFLIX for free because you can pick the type of show you want to see at anytime.
http://www.hulu.com/

You can also go to the CBS, NBC and other to look up your shows and watch them there a day late too on the computer or pipe them into your TV.
Here is one of my fav shows:CHASE....the blond Deputy Marshal, tough as nails
http://www.nbc.com/chase/video/the-posse/1258651/

JPEE
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:12 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Hammer the sattelite compnays. They will bend over backwards for you. The last time Dish tried to raise our rates, we polietly said that we could no longer afford their service (not true but do what you need to) and that it was time to cancel our service. Instead of our rates going up, they dropped them by $15/month for 2 years. When that expired, we told them that we were going to Direct TV instead becuase they offered new customers a better deal. Dish dropped our rates another $5/month for a year. You have to play thier games, my wife is great at it. When this offer expires our excuse will be "It's wrong that being a customer for 7 years and we have to pay more than a new customer. What ever happend to being loyal?" If that doesn't work its off to Direct TV for a few years.

Watch your phone bill too. They like to add charges and fees without you knowing. We originally signed up for DSL service at $39.99/month. After seeing promo's a year later for $24.95/month we complained to them. We are now at the lower rate in locked in iforever.

Bad experience tonite. Downloaded new maps for my 2 month old GPS. Took 3 hours. After the update it tells me I no longer have useable maps and the unit is not functioning. A call to tech suport only suggested I d/l it again. Just got that started and I'm off to bed now.

Jim
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:13 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
OS are good engines just 50-55 not 55hz used the same bearings which the race would break down 1st and get in the rest of the bearing. It biggest problem with the bearings is rusting main cause is moisture. YS engines use bigger rear bearings(compared to OS & TT) which can handle the BIG power and heat these tiny engines can put out. OS is the most popular! Most Popular is not always the best The TT 53h had problems with the carb sticking, TT released engines with a newer carb but some still complain of sticky carb(never had that on mine). Then there are Novarossi and YS which are the tops, KME which is gaining popularity with huge power and bigger bore engines, then Align which is a re-branded OS(who would have guessed).
I'm like you....I hate learning the HARD way but sometimes that's what happens.

YS....I haven't heard bad about them.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:19 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
When I was a kid we watched tv for free........now we pay up the
I stood next to the tv acting as an antenna...no kidding.
When we got a top moount antenna it was a grand occasion.
We had a Zenith (parents still have it in the basement) that had a phone built in. The tv would ring and we would talk at the tv. We could hear the caller through the tv speakers. High technology back then. That's when televisions were a piece of furniture!

Today, I can barely see my tv when I walk into the room

Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Last edited by Stamp; Nov 15, 2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:22 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPee View Post
Hello Boys,

TOPIC: Dish and Cable TV

Some of you guys might be aware of this but it bears sharing. There is a website called HULU TV. Now this site plays the main network channel shows a few days later. Yes they have commercials but they are farrrrr shorter than public TV/cable. Even better they host tons and tons of old shows by catagory. Anyway, I just plug in a HDMI into the TV from the computer and WA-LA your watching your favorite shows free on the big screen. Some guys here are keeping their "data" cable service for their computers and dropping the TV end of their bill! Its kinda like having NETFLIX for free because you can pick the type of show you want to see at anytime.
http://www.hulu.com/

You can also go to the CBS, NBC and other to look up your shows and watch them there a day late too on the computer or pipe them into your TV.
Here is one of my fav shows:CHASE....the blond Deputy Marshal, tough as nails
http://www.nbc.com/chase/video/the-posse/1258651/

JPEE
JPEE,
Both great sites. I just watched 8 minutes of "The Walking Dead" a couple minutes of "The Office". Works perfectly. Pretty cool. I'll have to try it on the big screen.

Thanks for the tip..
Dave
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:22 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
JPEE, I am very aware. And my contract is coming up. But I would have to buy a new computer. And potentially a new TV, as mine is over 10 years old now. But I find I watch it less and less.

Here is a new mSR video. This is the second video. I decided that I needed to trim the heli and have a second option for indoor flying. Post video, I reset my expo to linear.

I have some Micro shenannigans working as well.

Fern

mSR Outside 15 Nov 10.wmv (3 min 9 sec)
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:24 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
When I was a kid we watched tv for free........now we pay up the

Jim
When I was a kid, there wasn't TV.. Only the rich could afford it. So there. I was about 6 years old, before we had a TV in the house.
Now I see, pre-teen kids walking down the street on their cell phones.

Dave
Old Nov 15, 2010, 09:29 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
When I was a kid, there wasn't TV.. Only the rich could afford it. So there. I was about 6 years old, before we had a TV in the house.
Now I see, pre-teen kids walking down the street on their cell phones.

Dave
You got that right. Kids watch tv walking down the street.
I was 14 when we got CABLE!!!
That was even grander than getting an antenna.

Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp