HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 07, 2010, 07:51 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
9sec240's Avatar
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
That pic that Dave posted was from the Align Fun Fly.

That is the ONLY collection that rivals mine!!! LOL.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2010, 08:21 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
Vic,
Great video, his landing was spot on.
Dave
Dave...the 5cyl saito must have cost a TON of cash. It sounds good and has ample "scale type" power. I thought HARD about putting a 5cyl radial on it but a few things that just dont work. The first is, the 5cyl makes the plane REAL nose heavy because it weighs quite a bit. The second is, it's power is OK for scale type flight and all, but not enough to get you out of trouble if you need it and it runs on 4 stroke nitro fuel. I decided on a 45cc two stroke (gasoline/oil mix) engine for a few reasons. It's lighter, fuel is CHEAPER than 4 stroke nitro fuel, and it's almost twice the engine you really need so power wouldn't be an issue if you needed it swinging a 22" propeller. I'm a big fan of inverted flying and aileron rolls, I don't think the Saito can handle my flying style.

A decient flight with the 206 tonight, still re-skinning the Uproar.....that's a LONG job.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2010, 08:31 PM
Got Helis
choppersrule's Avatar
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
Dave...the 5cyl saito must have cost a TON of cash. It sounds good and has ample "scale type" power. I thought HARD about putting a 5cyl radial on it but a few things that just dont work. The first is, the 5cyl makes the plane REAL nose heavy because it weighs quite a bit. The second is, it's power is OK for scale type flight and all, but not enough to get you out of trouble if you need it and it runs on 4 stroke nitro fuel. I decided on a 45cc two stroke (gasoline/oil mix) engine for a few reasons. It's lighter, fuel is CHEAPER than 4 stroke nitro fuel, and it's almost twice the engine you really need so power wouldn't be an issue if you needed it swinging a 22" propeller. I'm a big fan of inverted flying and aileron rolls, I don't think the Saito can handle my flying style.

A decient flight with the 206 tonight, still re-skinning the Uproar.....that's a LONG job.
Vic,

I know you to well, the video is an excellent scale flight performance. However, I know you love to, give it the gun, per say, and rip the skys.
That's something that the Bipe's won't give ya. It'll never be an EDF. LMAO!

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2010, 08:51 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
9sec240's Avatar
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
The weather was pretty good today which had everybody rushing to hit up the flying fields. I loaded up and headed out before noon and flew till sunset. It was pretty packed when I got there and there was a steady stream of people coming and going. I ended up getting 16 packs in all together. The 16th pack ended in a spectacular crash with the T-Rex 450S GF. The tail drive gear failed during the inverted portion of a stationary roll which put me in an inverted piro over the tarmac. I pulled throttle hold and dumped it on its lid. The woodies exploded, the canopy went flying, the battery came loose from the tray. Looked and sounded horrendous. Overall, the damage does not look too bad though.

What a great day!!!
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2010, 08:58 PM
Got Helis
choppersrule's Avatar
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Ivan,

15 out of 16 is a great day. Damage doesn't look THAT bad, but don't forget the shafts and stuff. You know the drill.

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2010, 09:01 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
Vic,

I know you to well, the video is an excellent scale flight performance. However, I know you love to, give it the gun, per say, and rip the skys.
That's something that the Bipe's won't give ya. It'll never be an EDF. LMAO!

Dave
LMAO...yeah....I know. My father in law bought the plane when he was in his mid 60's and lost the drive to finish it (after his wife and first son died). Since I'm the ONLY one in the family who could, he gave it to me. My mission is to have it built and have him out to the field next spring so he can see it fly. This was supposed to be his ultimate, finest, and final endevor in R/C flight, and now it turned into my biggest challenge ever in building because of poor prints and instructions. I'll get it and what I can't figure out, Jim will help.

BTW...I got those colored rolls of carton tape in....they're AWSOME for putting color trim on monokote.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2010, 09:06 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
The weather was pretty good today which had everybody rushing to hit up the flying fields. I loaded up and headed out before noon and flew till sunset. It was pretty packed when I got there and there was a steady stream of people coming and going. I ended up getting 16 packs in all together. The 16th pack ended in a spectacular crash with the T-Rex 450S GF. The tail drive gear failed during the inverted portion of a stationary roll which put me in an inverted piro over the tarmac. I pulled throttle hold and dumped it on its lid. The woodies exploded, the canopy went flying, the battery came loose from the tray. Looked and sounded horrendous. Overall, the damage does not look too bad though.

What a great day!!!
We all have a day where we CRASH....part of the game. It dont look too bad, but WAIT till you dig into it, that's when I find all the little stuff (cut or ripped wires, stripped this and cracked that).

Flew my EXI-450 shaft driven tail (bell 206 scale fuse) today, it went well.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2010, 09:32 PM
Got Helis
choppersrule's Avatar
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
LMAO...yeah....I know. My father in law bought the plane when he was in his mid 60's and lost the drive to finish it (after his wife and first son died). Since I'm the ONLY one in the family who could, he gave it to me. My mission is to have it built and have him out to the field next spring so he can see it fly. This was supposed to be his ultimate, finest, and final endevor in R/C flight, and now it turned into my biggest challenge ever in building because of poor prints and instructions. I'll get it and what I can't figure out, Jim will help.

BTW...I got those colored rolls of carton tape in....they're AWSOME for putting color trim on monokote.
Vic,

My commendations to you, on getting the Bipe ready for your Father in Law.
Challenges are what keeps us all going. Give him a true Scale Flight and he'll just love it. Take your time, you've got all winter to make it perfect.
Cool on the colored rolls of carton tape, I'm sure it makes it quick and easy, and looks great.

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 07, 2010, 10:44 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
9sec240's Avatar
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
I have gotten rid of the noise on the Ultimate. I found that I had not put nuts on the screws that hold the upper wing to the metal struts. I also balanced the prop. Between those two things, it no longer sounds like a pod racer. I also got rid of a pretty big twist in the elevator that was causing most of the roll. I got two more packs in it today and am starting to get it dialed in to my liking. I am up to 40% expo on AIL and ELE and 35% on RUD. It will take a while for me to get really comfortable with this one. I think I might still want some more expo and maybe a bit more throw on AIL for now.

E-Flite Ultimate 20-300 dial in flight (5 min 38 sec)
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2010, 11:34 AM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Small stuff will get ya every time.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2010, 11:57 AM
TIME is so things last longer!
JPee's Avatar
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Ivan,

Nice set up in the SUV to carry planes and helis....me likie.

Your Bipe flight was really nice. She appears to handle very well under your capable hands.

Vic,
Your article on the 5 cyclinder radial was all new to me. Not being a nitro flier nor a plane with any fuled engine I was shocked to hear you sepak of 4 cycle fuel. I had always assumed that when you gus have these gas engines that they were just that, just gasoline, perhaps at least high test 92 octane. WOW there is so much to learn.

JPEE
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2010, 02:38 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPee View Post
Ivan,

Nice set up in the SUV to carry planes and helis....me likie.

Your Bipe flight was really nice. She appears to handle very well under your capable hands.

Vic,
Your article on the 5 cyclinder radial was all new to me. Not being a nitro flier nor a plane with any fuled engine I was shocked to hear you sepak of 4 cycle fuel. I had always assumed that when you gus have these gas engines that they were just that, just gasoline, perhaps at least high test 92 octane. WOW there is so much to learn.

JPEE
JPEE...that's Jims Bipe, he lives in Nebraska (LMAO). He sent me that video so I could see one fly, that was his maiden, I'm building the same plane and he's giving me pointers. Mine wont be completed until ....Feb?

Engines....All glow engines for R/C use nitro and oil mix, plus other stuff but I forget what. The two stroke glow engine will run well on 5% to 15% nitro. Four strokes require higher nitro content as well as more oil in the mix than the two strokes. Helicopter two strokes run 25% or higher in nitro, but I dont know the oil mixture. When you get into gasoline engines, it's like a weed whacker engine, you mix gasoline and oil. I've seen gasoline engines for R/C as small as 20cc and up to 150cc. Personally, if I had TWO 150cc R/C engines swinging 30" propellers, I'd just put them on a plane I built to FLY IN.....I trust my work.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2010, 05:57 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Cricket Chirping (1 min 16 sec)
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2010, 06:21 PM
I meant to do that!
Oracus's Avatar
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,203 Posts
Ok here is the short clip I threw together.



HL 1/16 M26 Pershing (2 min 20 sec)
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 08, 2010, 06:56 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Pretty neat. I loved to throw mine out in the snow and make it go.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion our soaring brothers got2soar Hand Launch 19 Aug 17, 2010 08:58 AM
Sold Futaba Low Band R127DF Receiver! flyinjrc74 Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Feb 27, 2010 09:48 AM
Sold Band of Brothers DVD set Tin Collectors Edition ($45 Shipped, great conditon!) CGReload Non R/C Items (FS/W) 2 Aug 17, 2008 07:11 PM
Band of Brothers - the real-life heroes leccyflyer Life, The Universe, and Politics 5 Dec 08, 2001 09:52 PM
Band of Brothers, anyone else watching? Fitz Walker Life, The Universe, and Politics 23 Oct 05, 2001 07:22 PM