HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2010, 06:22 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Jim...better on the new meds. IMO I still need stents BUT I'm not an MD and I cant make that call.

Took the plane to the field out back, flew it, had to get it out of the neighbors yard (some 100yds walking involved), not any probs doing it though so that's good. I may call Rick wed/thur to check on him unless he pops in. Hope the wind is down and we pull mid 50's tomorrow so I can fly this plane again. It was interesting because I havent flown a trainer in years.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2010, 06:32 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
I did get to maiden the Ultimate yesterday. I was really nervous as this is the first balsa plane I have flown and should be quite a bit more spicy than the PZ T28 and Extra 300. I warmed up with a pack in my Trex 500 and then loaded a battery into the Ultimate. I set it down on the runway and double checked the control surfaces and gave it a little over half throttle and it shot off and up into the air. Immediately I found that I had to keep pretty heavy right aileron to keep it level. It just wanted to spin and spin FAST. I was really having a hard time flying the plane. I couldn't think and just could not take my fingers off the sticks long enough to hit the trim switches. In hind sight, I could have probably done it with my left hand but I was just not think about anything but not crashing. I was over controlling it and really having a hard time evaluating how it was flying. On top of everything else, there was a strange noise coming from the plane. I wanted to land but just could not do it while compensating for it being so out of trim. I had my buddy who was shooting video hit the trim switches for me and he finally got it close enough that I could start trimming it on my own without it spiraling out of control. I finally got it trimmed out and flew it a bit longer trying to figure out what the noise was. It was happening only at low to medium speeds and sounded like either an imbalance in the prop / spinner or maybe a flutter on some surface. It was not getting any worse so I just finished the pack checking out how it flew. Not too bad.

I was a bit disappointed to see how much trim it took to fly straight. There must be some issues with the control surfaces or wing incidence. What I need now is a plane guru to show me what to do to get this thing flying straight. Despite having CG set according to the instructions, it seemed to fly a bit nose heavy. Low speeds needed a bit of back elevator and inverted flight needed quite a bit of forward. I put a second pack through it as the sun was setting and am looking forward to getting it sorted out and flying better.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Nov 01, 2010, 07:52 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Kyle,
+1 with Firefox. no problems for years now and I love how it works. I don't like Explorer at all.

Vic,
When I was training someone on there Nexstar the engine quit so I took it. Luckily our club had a cross runway and no wind because it glided past my initial touch down point and I hit aileron and rudder to make the turn for the cross. It settled in 30 or so yrds after that. This trainer can glide!

Jim,
Very good to see the Winner with a great slap shot We want pics of the event of Y'all having a great time. That reminds me... I was watching a fight the other day and a hockey game broke out

God Bless BOB's!

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Last edited by 1Radioflyer; Nov 01, 2010 at 08:09 PM.
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:08 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Ivan,
You experienced pretty much what I had on my first flight. I found the wing incidences way off requiring a lot of sanding and shimming on the "N" struts. Much like a heli... you need to mechanically get things straight before you try to tune it. I got a cheap Robart incidence meter but there are digital ones out there that are much better. This tool is crucial to a fine tuned bipe. My twist/warp was built in by E-flite as I assume yours is, too. I posted my findings in the "3D Capable" thread.

God Bless Ya,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:28 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Jay....I just forgot that trainers do that. I need to put the wheels in the grass 30yds in front of me, that will give me a stop about 10-20yds behind me if I pull an excessive roll out like I did today. I got the engine dialed in for the cooler temps, everything has been gone over and I'm looking forward to giving it another run tomorrow. Once it's trimmed and correct, I'll break it down to storage for the winter.

"I was watching a fight the other day and a hockey game broke out"...LOL....that's about right
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:39 PM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,379 Posts
Quiz...

This should be an easy quiz for those who have even a modicum of knowledge about aircraft. The answer may surprise you.

"What is the primary advantage of rotary-winged aircraft over fixed-winged aircraft?"

-
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:54 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper J3 View Post
This should be an easy quiz for those who have even a modicum of knowledge about aircraft. The answer may surprise you.

"What is the primary advantage of rotary-winged aircraft over fixed-winged aircraft?"

-
Being the guy that opened the door!
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:56 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
My goodness..... Must be why military pilots wear the green flight skins...
Old Nov 01, 2010, 08:59 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Piper,
It was done with PhotoShop. This one she has her drawers on.
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Nov 01, 2010, 09:15 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,240 Posts
Really guys?
Family site...remember

Anyway,
Wnuk...congrats to Nick!!!!!!!

Jim
Stamp is online now Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Nov 01, 2010, 10:11 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
The stressful maiden flight video.. Can anybody diagnose the Star Wars pod racer sound coming from the plane?

E-Flight Ultimate 20-30 Maiden (5 min 41 sec)
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Last edited by 9sec240; Nov 01, 2010 at 11:04 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 07:06 AM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Ivan- 3 thoughts come to mind. The first is flutter on one of the surfaces. Check the hinges real well. 2nd might be a bearing in the motor. Does it feel "notchy" when you turn it by hand? 3rd would be an unbalanced prop.

Now go clean those drawers of yours!

Jim
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Nov 02, 2010, 11:29 AM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
I have a feeling it's motor or prop for sure, and I lean real hard to prop balance.
Old Nov 02, 2010, 01:18 PM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
The stressful maiden flight video.. Can anybody diagnose the Star Wars pod racer sound coming from the plane?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTnEPSY3K8g
Ivan,

Do what I do before a maiden, two table spoons of Kaopectate and an adult Depends, that will take care of the poopy pants problems.

For real, she is a twitchen plane and you flew her very well for the maiden. Good luck with her.

JPEE
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Old Nov 02, 2010, 06:29 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Ivan, for the noise, I would check the prop and the spinner torque. I can make my planes make a similar noise is a propsaver band is a bit worn.

There is a trick to flying this kind of Bipe. And the trick is that it flies different Seriously, you fly a wide body Bipe, (I have a smaller Ultimate, a Reflection, a Pitt's and the UM 4-site, I love 3D bipes) primarily with the Rudder and the elevator. The ailerons are handy but a failure on that channel just slows you down some. You should be able to turn with just a touch of aileron and as much rudder as you please.

That will let you feel more confident when flying. You have to remember that you have twice the weight than normal on the wings. That is why they are so twitchy when you go to roll. You also have twice the lift, so a hard rudder dive is harder to do. It can be done.

I would think that this would be the easiest style of flight for a Heli pilot, it's throttle, rudder, and elevator, with ailerons for trimming and for tricks. You can a lot of the same with most extras as well.

Also, I recommend both dual rates and expo, at least on the ailerons.

It looks like you got the basics down quickly, and I hope you have a great time with the Plane.

I hope that was somewhat helpful.

Fern
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR