Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
Boring and fun...at the same time.
Love getting a good deal.
Never looked at it that way. But I did have some great times with it.
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:00 AM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Oly....I remember you or hearing about you. You did post on the RCU thread didn't you? If not, I know Tracy has mentioned you. When you see tracy again, tap him on the back of the head and tell him Vic says "get that Corsair done". I want vids and everything, I do hope he does retractables on it. They look so much cleaner without garbage hanging down. Tell him to be REAL careful on the flaps. Make sure he's quite high in the air, and extend them a little at a time so he can see what they do, and how to compensate for it.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Sep 29, 2010, 05:38 AM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,194 Posts
Here is a vid of the 1st ever Indy 700

Indianapolis 700 (8 min 52 sec)
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:51 PM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Hey Guys,

Got up this morning and cut the skids down to where the camera sling itself is
2" above the ground. This should make a heck of a difference.

Leaving now for a open field test to see how is goes.

I was so "blindly" wrapped up in the I did not reply to others here having fun too.
Rick, congratulation on the micro T-28. I was at the field last Sunday and there were three there. The are a bit bigger than my micro P-51 in my eyes and they look really cool. Take care and get out there and fly the fleet!

Vic, So your going big time with a 1/4 scale Corsair hey. Well good for you After being here the short time I have been I know the pleasure you get out of the "build" in and of itself. The flying is your bonus so to say. Great luck to you on this project and leave that heli on till next year. That was a good plan.

JPEE
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Old Sep 29, 2010, 01:46 PM
what ya mean i have to land?
DesMoines,Wa
Joined Feb 2008
1,107 Posts
np metal,i'll let him know,think we might go flying this weekend and i hope the batts for my dauntless show up,would love to fly that against tracys corsair lol,it has full flaps and retracts.i guess arrow is getting into some of the larger planes and i think i might get back into helis again,i just got frustrated that every time i took a chopper up it cost me money,even if i never broke anything lol,think i'll get another trex450 and maybe another hbk2,that was a fun chopper.also talked to arrow last night and he says hi folks,glad to see ppl still think of him lolol
oly_rcer is online now Find More Posts by oly_rcer
Old Sep 29, 2010, 06:37 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
JPEE...yup, 1/4 scale but NOT corsair (not that I wouldn't love to). It's a Concept Models Fleet 1930 biplane (see pic). My father in law started building it about 7 years ago. He passed it off to me to finish, so I guess it's a combined effort. Him and I would both like to see it fly before we move on to what's next....I can make it happen. Funny, in the last couple years flying EDF jets, low wing, mid wing, etc, if it has wings.....I can fly it...that's pretty good in my book.

Oly....thanks for rattling Tracy's cage for us. He needs to drop in "once a month", it aint gonna KILL him....LMAO.

Kind'a windy today, but I take advantage of the low 70's temps and wind being under 12mph, I fly that Uproar every day, sometimes twice a day. JAY!!!! I really think the Uproar is the BEST .40 I ever flew bar NONE. It has GREAT character in the sky. What a plane!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 06:53 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Hey Guys!
Awesome posts from you all. The vid with the camera slung from the mount like JPEE built was really impressive. Those GoPro camera shoot excellent video!

That stop motion vid was amazing! I wonder how much time that took to do?

Oly,
Is that a Windrider Dauntless? That looks absolutely beautiful! I think I need one Let us know how it flies!
Tell Arrow he is greatly miss around here and we'd love to hear what he's been up to.

Jim,
It's great to hear you and your son are having a great time with those flying boats, they're just neater than heck. The rocks look awesome, too

Vic,
I think my wife sent the props this morning. Let me know what you think. They make it a bit harder to tune the motor so hit the max rpms and then richen it up a few clicks to be safe BTW, they aren't balanced.

SOS for me... no flying.

Blessings Y'all,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Sep 29, 2010, 06:59 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Thanks Jay. BTW...yer getting ready for the great 2010 deer archery season aren't you? Or MAYBE you're beat down with work so you cant get out to get the blind set up (I guess that isn't all bad). Being working after such a long dry spell has to be a GOOD thing forsure. Alrighty then.....have fun.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:28 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Vic,
I'm ready for the season but like you said, work comes first. I've found that around Nov 1st is the best time but I can't help going out when it's cold and the weather is right just so I can sit in that tree stand and watch everything that goes on in the woods. 50% of bow hunting is having the bird land inches away from you and not know your there or a curious owl the perches 15 feet away to see what you are. It's an amazing time to be quiet, watch, and think.

God Bless,

Jay
Old Sep 29, 2010, 09:58 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
Vic,
I'm ready for the season but like you said, work comes first. I've found that around Nov 1st is the best time but I can't help going out when it's cold and the weather is right just so I can sit in that tree stand and watch everything that goes on in the woods. 50% of bow hunting is having the bird land inches away from you and not know your there or a curious owl the perches 15 feet away to see what you are. It's an amazing time to be quiet, watch, and think.

God Bless,

Jay
How cool is that? When I was a kid, my dad brought home an owl like that but it was a baby. The mother had got killed somehow so dad brought it home. He grew up on chicken liver and gizzards, and was an exceptional family pet. One day, the DNR showed up and said we couldn't keep the bird in captivity, so my dad broke a window and told the DNR guy...the bird can leave anytime it wants. We made the window a perminate door for the owl to come and go, and it did just that, went hunting and come home. A goofy bird, it would jump off my shoulder into the dishwater to take a bath when I was doing dishes. The owl loved to sit right on top of my head (claws are sharp, you dont dare move to quick). Anyway, it got wet in a soaking rain (couldn't fly because all the natural oil got washed out of it's feathers) and got hit by a car when it was walking home. We found it dead in the road about 3 days after he was missing. An owl is very territorial, this owl ("Clicker") would attack ANY dog that come into the yard. Your pic really stirred a memory of that owl we had. Thanks for posting it!
Old Sep 29, 2010, 10:22 PM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Dang Vic and Jay...........what stories those are. Funny, only today I was flying with my buddy who was a Federal Forest Fire FighterChief. He was showing me pictures of this fellow fire fighter who got scratched on the head by an owl while fighting a fire. As he was walking back into base camp the owl came down a straffed him and sunck his claws in this guys scalp! His head was bleeding so they cleaned him up and put Neospoarin? on it. Now this gets interesting. While asleep in his bag later that night he woke up to a BEAR licking his head where the Neosporan was! My buddy said the guy CRAPPED his pants but maintained his composure and got up real slow and walked away from the bear. He was flown off the mountain in Yellowstone where they were fighting that big fire the next morning and never worked the forest line again!

I got two flights in on the heli today after cutting down the skids to where the camera was 2 inches off the ground. She handles better than before but still not right. So I took Justins (the designers) advise and kicked up the head speed to 95 across the board in idel-up. Well that really helped calm down the flying ability but she stills a bit more work. I am going to drill holes in the frame where I can to make it lighter. I do not! want to lose to much of the frames strength and protection for the new camera that I ordered. God forbid this ever came down do to equipment failure! I want some protection to be there for the camera just in case. But his whole idea of letting the camera hang frmo the velcro belts takes all of the vibrations out of the video.
The first video was shakey as I was shaking like a leaf. My blood pressure must have been 150 over 100. The second flight after I made some adjustments was much better. No posting because the clairity of this old camera is HORRIBLE but it serves for the beta work now. Soon though soon.

Vic, nice plane. I am sure that between the both of you that plane will be a honey when completed.

Cheers JPEE
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:49 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPee View Post
Dang Vic and Jay...........what stories those are. Funny, only today I was flying with my buddy who was a Federal Forest Fire FighterChief. He was showing me pictures of this fellow fire fighter who got scratched on the head by an owl while fighting a fire. As he was walking back into base camp the owl came down a straffed him and sunck his claws in this guys scalp! His head was bleeding so they cleaned him up and put Neospoarin? on it. Now this gets interesting. While asleep in his bag later that night he woke up to a BEAR licking his head where the Neosporan was! My buddy said the guy CRAPPED his pants but maintained his composure and got up real slow and walked away from the bear. He was flown off the mountain in Yellowstone where they were fighting that big fire the next morning and never worked the forest line again!

I got two flights in on the heli today after cutting down the skids to where the camera was 2 inches off the ground. She handles better than before but still not right. So I took Justins (the designers) advise and kicked up the head speed to 95 across the board in idel-up. Well that really helped calm down the flying ability but she stills a bit more work. I am going to drill holes in the frame where I can to make it lighter. I do not! want to lose to much of the frames strength and protection for the new camera that I ordered. God forbid this ever came down do to equipment failure! I want some protection to be there for the camera just in case. But his whole idea of letting the camera hang frmo the velcro belts takes all of the vibrations out of the video.
The first video was shakey as I was shaking like a leaf. My blood pressure must have been 150 over 100. The second flight after I made some adjustments was much better. No posting because the clairity of this old camera is HORRIBLE but it serves for the beta work now. Soon though soon.

Vic, nice plane. I am sure that between the both of you that plane will be a honey when completed.

Cheers JPEE
JPEE....LMAO....who wouldn't "crap" themselves waking up to a bear licking their head? I'm guessing for the firefighter, he'd rather deal with inner city than the wild animals.

This biplane will no doubt be my last "kit" build, it's gonna be done right and I'm putting an engine on it that is 7cc's bigger than recommended and it swings a 20" propeller instead of a 18" as recommended. I watched a video of the biplane with a G-38, it lumbered around in the air and rolls/loops seemed labored. Then I watched a biplane with a 45cc engine....way more authority and snap, and a lot shorter take off roll.....I need that here. After flying a midwing, low wing, and an EDF Jet, I like a plane to have some guts....speed is good too.

Our pet owl, you should see peoples faces when they realized it wasn't stuffed...it was alive. My grandmother ran out of the house screaming when the bird slowly turned it's head and looked at her...she thought it was stuffed....my dad didn't tell her about us having an owl in the house.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 06:36 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Well...the 1/4 scaler is here. Doing the parts inventory and finding out where it was left off at. Still a good amount of fuselage work to go, some wing stuff needs done, vert stab and rudder need built......it's a heck of a project for sure. Now I remember WHY I didn't like KIT builds, but I'm excited about this. I'll work on it day by day and like everything else, I'll re-engineer things I dont like....like the landing gear area is WEAK, I'll beef it up with basswood and epoxy. I'm having FUN now. To windy to fly today, so the Uproar gets a break.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:01 PM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,194 Posts
We(BOB's) will require pics of the build progress for our enjoyment
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:09 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Vic,
That is sooooo cool that you had an owl growing up! I can't imagine having and owl in the house but I imagine it would be as loyal as any other bird that grew up not knowing another life. That is very neat! Enjoy building that bipe!

John,
Holy smokes! I would poop if I woke up and a bear was licking my head When I was about 15yrs old I though about being a fire jumper. Those guys rock but work their rear ends off.

Windy as heck here today!

God Bless Y'all!