HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:09 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Jim, thanks!!! We still need to get together some time. I was hoping that you would bring the rockets out to Busse some time and I would see you there.

Vic, I was having a good day. That was a really good flight for me. Thanks. I still need to upload that vid of the Mikado pilot tossing that MD500 around. Wicked skills.

Heck.. I just did a short one..

MIkado MD500 (0 min 20 sec)

Jay, thanks. Things are coming together. That was some of the very first FF (backwards actually) inverted that I have done. Like I said... I was having a good day.

That guy's hinge work was poor. There was NOTHING on the hinges. They were just clean.

I will put the T28 in the clouds some day.. mark my words!!! I hear you on the eyes... I think glasses will help my efforts for sure.

Dave, I have some really good pilots here to aspire to be like. Phil is top notch and is so smooth. Kevin is a former pattern pilot and flys his heli just like that. I love both of their styles and strive to fly like that. I like smooth over stick banging.

The DX8 has some bugs. This one might be isolated. "Note from John Adams Spektrum

This is John Adams from Spektrum. We have been unable to reproduce this issue here. We are atempting to get the tranmitter back from the person that's in the video so we can investigate. If anyone has a transmitter that has this issue please send it to my attention. Alos note that we will be relesing a firmware update shortly (likely eairly next week} that will correct the other issues mentioned."

That is crazy about the main bearing. Wow. That was fast!!
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:24 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Ivan,
I'll tear the 500 down and do a total PM on it. Keeps me busy.
I like the smooth flying too, I'm to damn old for "Stick Banging" for sure.

Glad to see that J Adams is concerned about the Timer Issue, even though isolated. And firmware updates coming soon. I know you want one, but for now, I'd hold off for awhile and check all the reviews.

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Sep 27, 2010, 08:59 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
The tossing of the MD500 is pretty accurate on how a scaler works for 3D. The aerobatics are slower because it's heavier. You get snap nothing out of a scaler. They do back flips, rolls, inverted pretty well...just not fast. I feel pretty good, it's raining right now and 56deg....I did get a flight in before the garbage weather moved in.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:32 PM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Ivan,
A very nice fleet there Mr.

WOW that DX 8 issue is HUGE!

I have been working on making a "like" camera mount for my heli. Vic, again my thanks for the Vado information.

With permission and the support Justin who lives "down under" I made this mount after his. Tomorrow I will complete it with the camera sling as you will see in his video. My legs are to long right now but this photo is part mock-up. In the end after extensive web searching and reading reviews together with CNET rating this camera high and the camera shops here rating it high too with 1080p HD or 720 HD I ordered it today.
It is a DMC-ZR3A by Panasonic

http://www.youtube.com/user/juz70#p/u/0/zwTfbfncTLY

I feel very good that this whole project will work well when completed.

JPEE
PS: Ivan...............thats some crazy flying. You do have the golden fingers Mr.
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Old Sep 27, 2010, 09:56 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
JPEE,

I've seen that video before, totally awesome.

Best to ya on you're project. Looking GOOD!

Dave
Last edited by choppersrule; Sep 27, 2010 at 10:03 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:23 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,264 Posts
Great plane (report)

Great plane (report)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JUST NOW came back from flying the T-28 for the first time.
Out of the box and binded to a DX-7 with no mods.or corrections. The WX is perfect, almost calm and lots of park space with grass at about 6" high.
First hand launch revealed a slight pull to the left and a dive into the grass.
Corrected with maybe 3 or 4 clicks for right on rudder and ailerons. Second hand launch was perfect : throttle at 3/4 gave a shallow (30 deg.) climb, wings level almost no elevator input. From that moment on and using 3 Lipos at 150 and 160 the flights were INCREDIBLE and perfect. This tiny plane compares equally with any 4 channel perfect flyer. I began with stall turns: the rudder is responsive and effective, the stalls come clean and the pull out of the dive is smooth. Then ROLLS both right and left, LOOPS in all sizes , roll out INVERTED from the top of a loop holds the inverted very well and rolls out into level upright flight sharply. 1/4 thottle descends the plane quite well and steady. No landings and roll out due to the grass. Combo maneuvers like Cuban Eights and Reverse Cuban 8 were done with great centering and recovery. Have yet to try "outside" maneuvers and will try them later. Need to see just how well it rolls into an outside loop begun from the bottom. The power seems adequate, maybe slightly high, but that is good.
THIS IS A GREAT GREAT UltraMicro model.
I am qualified to write a critique because of a long experience with RC planes.
This plane could do very well in the first two or three levels of the old RC PATTERN,[SPA] and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It requires VERY FINE and light finger inputs on the transmitter, as it is very very responsive.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS UM Y-28
RICK
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Old Sep 28, 2010, 10:50 AM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARRRICK View Post

Great plane (report)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JUST NOW came back from flying the T-28 for the first time.
Out of the box and binded to a DX-7 with no mods.or corrections. The WX is perfect, almost calm and lots of park space with grass at about 6" high.
First hand launch revealed a slight pull to the left and a dive into the grass.
Corrected with maybe 3 or 4 clicks for right on rudder and ailerons. Second hand launch was perfect : throttle at 3/4 gave a shallow (30 deg.) climb, wings level almost no elevator input. From that moment on and using 3 Lipos at 150 and 160 the flights were INCREDIBLE and perfect. This tiny plane compares equally with any 4 channel perfect flyer. I began with stall turns: the rudder is responsive and effective, the stalls come clean and the pull out of the dive is smooth. Then ROLLS both right and left, LOOPS in all sizes , roll out INVERTED from the top of a loop holds the inverted very well and rolls out into level upright flight sharply. 1/4 thottle descends the plane quite well and steady. No landings and roll out due to the grass. Combo maneuvers like Cuban Eights and Reverse Cuban 8 were done with great centering and recovery. Have yet to try "outside" maneuvers and will try them later. Need to see just how well it rolls into an outside loop begun from the bottom. The power seems adequate, maybe slightly high, but that is good.
THIS IS A GREAT GREAT UltraMicro model.
I am qualified to write a critique because of a long experience with RC planes.
This plane could do very well in the first two or three levels of the old RC PATTERN,[SPA] and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It requires VERY FINE and light finger inputs on the transmitter, as it is very very responsive.
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS UM Y-28
RICK
Rick...AWSOME report How great is that eh? A micro that flys like a .40 sized 4 channel, I'm impressed because you KNOW planes. I'm real glad you got out and had a chance to fly it......now fly the BIG ONE.

Vic
Old Sep 28, 2010, 05:45 PM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Hey Guys

I just completed two test flights of the 500 with the camera rig on and have a few small issues to deal with. The first flight, I had a wobble when I was going up. Once up high she held pretty nice as a platform but as soon as I dropped RPMs the heli started shaking. Most of the time I could see the long landing gear vibrating too. So I think with that carriage swinging a bit the gyro is over reacting trying to hold the heli and the vibration of the legs need to be delt with. So on the second hover over the house here rather than let the heli lift up and let the carraige swing loose the way it was designed by the straps, I had sucked them much tighter making the heli and the rig all one piece. Well that helped with the wobbling I thought but then the legs really started to vibrate.....then the tail started to go crazy so I have to bring her down to about 10' then she was calm.
When viewing the video, it was fine. It has some sideways swaying as the camera carriage moved from side to side while hanging there. But on flight two after I cinched up the straps and made a strong connection between the heli and carriage the picture was horrible. It had picked up all of the vibration from the heli, so it's back to letting the rig hange by the straps again.

So as you see the pictures here I am going to cut the legs waaaaaaaaaay down until the camera is about 3" off the ground. I think once I shorten those legs and the rig becomes lighter there will be huge improvements across the board. My goodness I love the challenge of creating something. Once I am done with the mods I'll record the weights involved with the project. I do know that the two 2250's weight is 163 grams less! than the 3000 brick so I have been testing with them. I did a check of the motor, the packs and ESC and all were no different than normal flying. One thing that helps is....... I can fly with the canopy off the heli and everything can breath. With the large green skids I can maintain orientation very well.

JPEE
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:19 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
John,
It makes sense to me with the extended legs any vibration will be exaggerated and would cause problems to the gyro. The rig you've built looks more like the ones they use for filming with really big 'ole cameras and such. As you said... maybe scaling it back a bit will help with the vibrations though out the heli. I would think that your camera would almost tuck right in under you 500 with small leg extensions and some sort of foam dampening for the camera.

Blessings,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:22 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Rick,
Great report on the micro T-28. I'm glad to hear your having a ball with it!

God Bless,

Jay
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:22 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
JPEE....heli on stilts....LOL, that's pretty cool though. Without the camera, you could land in 6-9" of water or deep SNOW (snow isn't in it for you though). Just pull'in yer leg guy....LOL.

Flu shot yesterday...today I get to enjoy the effects......

Crappy weather comming, so I managed to get a flight in with the Uproar cause tomorrow, it might not happen.

My helicopter....sure it's just got a bad motor, going to order a new one when I feel like messing with it, that MIGHT be a while. I know I need a 60a ESC, a better motor, and a couple new batteries which isn't immediately on the list of priorities....it's going into winter, I'll finsh out the season with planes I think. I did burn though a gallon of 10% fuel though, so it was a good flying season for planes. Getting things ready for the Fleet 1/4 scale biplane to arrive so I can get it built. It's really different than anything I've ever built cause it's bigger which means MORE detail. I'm really looking forward to it.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:23 PM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,210 Posts
Sounds like everyone's doin alright.

Ivan
I am more impressed by your flying every time I see a vid. About the DX8 hope horizon fixes the bugs quick, we wouldn't want you to lose one of those pretty birds you got.

Rick
I'm with Vic on this one also, if you give it a good review and a thumbs up, its a keeper.

Jpee
Good choice on the camera Man have you got a nice rigg, now for some test pics.

As for me I have been busy around the house, and a few emergencies here so havnt had time to fly until yesterday. Flew some foamies(kinda rusty) started the Vision and engine wasnt running right, i think fuel in the tank went bad, plus needed retuned so not too much flying. After work today took out the Vision again good fuel , adjusted thr curve a bit, alittle tuning for 2 tanks alittle more tweaking and it'll be good to go. I did have some vibs and some shakes, vibs could be tuning and possible glowplug. But best part was today was my 1st low alt auto's 6-7ft up.
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:25 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Vic,
I my wife found one of those bubble wrap envelope thingies at work today. I put some cardboard on the tips so they don't get ruined... hopefully
Props are headed out tomorrow

Kyle,
Awesome on the auto practice

Blessings!

Jay
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:32 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Awesome writeup Rick. Thanks for sharing!!

JPEE, keep us updated on your progress.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Sep 28, 2010, 07:51 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
John,

The camera rig is hugely big. I'm sure some / alot of the vibrations is coming from the downwash across the foam tubes on the lower skids. Especially since they are suspended from the heli and not anchored tightly.

Food for thought here...

Remove the original Align skids.
Modify your camera skids to mount to the heli frame.
Shorten the camera skids as you mentioned in your post.
Remove the foam tubes from the camera skids.
Modify the camera mount to reduce / elimate any vibrations. That's the big challange right there, think outside of the box, my friend. (Small springs, rubber bands)

As far as the gyro over reacting, just turn the gain down a tad. You'll only be doing scale flying with the camera rig on there anyways.

Make a few test flight with your key-chain camera after any modifications.

Dave