HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2010, 08:23 AM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
CENTRAL AIR CONDITIONER PROBLEMS....that was a thing I had happen 3 days ago. I heard the furnace making a weird noise, I checked the vents...no air comming out, so I shut it down and killed the breaker. Disaster I'm thinking and I just spent $350 getting it fixed not long ago (a hole in the freon return line). Pulled the lower panel of the furnace, the "A" coil was a brick of ICE...that explains no air comming from vents. The system was new in 1999, so it's got some time on it. It took 12hrs to thaw it to room temp. Since we all know NO filter can completely stop dust and given the systems age, I see there's a blanket of fur on the A coil. It took two hours to clean that coil with a wire brush, but I got it clean and put the lower panels back on with new filters. It got hot in here, I had to fire up the A/C cause I couldn't stand it. Apparently, the blocked A-coil was the prob...works as advertised now. Two things will cause an A-coil to freeze up. First is low freon charge, second is dirty A-coil (these being MOST common). Other things will cause it too, but check the coil first and freon charge second. ANother thing that can happen is the capacitor in the A/C unit can go bad. The AC wont work, but you'll hear a hum from the unit. I had a mouse touch BOTH terminals of the capacitor, and it fried the mouse and the capacitor....a $60 part (not the mouse). SO....I have central air again. WHen I dont need it, I'll kill the breaker to it to prevent the mouse episode again. This was an easy fix, but preventitive maintenance would have made it easier and quicker. Vaccume your A-coil once every year or two and always replace filters to your furnace every 6 months.
AC problems can be tuff to figure out, but If you know your system pressure get a cheap set of guages to check your charge with.
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:45 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,262 Posts
Way too many

TOO MANY TOYS

NOT ENOUGH GOOD SENSE

other addictions I "could" have (but I don't) ! :
alcohol,tobacco,broads,weed,drugs,beer,gambling,wo rk?
so I lie to 'self and keep on going, kidding 'self that am doing good ....
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Last edited by BARRRICK; Sep 19, 2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: add text
Old Sep 19, 2010, 01:32 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,242 Posts
^^^
You are being a very good boy .
Addictions come in many forms.

Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Sep 19, 2010, 01:36 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Rick, how do you like the Micro T-28?
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Sep 19, 2010, 04:29 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracus View Post
AC problems can be tuff to figure out, but If you know your system pressure get a cheap set of guages to check your charge with.
Kyle....Had it froze up again after cleaning the A-coil, I would have called the guy who fixed it last time...he knows his stuff. When he fixed the hole in the line, he added filters to the freon lines and corrected a bunch of problems the original installers screwed up. Up to now, it's been flawless since he worked on it. The dirty coil was my fault I will next spring have him come out and do a 100% PM on it, it will have been two years since he touched it.

LOL....Rick....I see you're partial to the T-28, aint NOTHING wrong with that. A guy I flew with in the Navy had a .60 sized T-28, it was GREAT and I loved it. Back then.....I couldn't afford much more than a trainer to fly, and it's all I was capable of flying.

Jay...I added another 230gr bullet to the tail, it's BETTER than last time and close to flying upright or inverted with no stick input other than to roll it over...one more ought to do it. The fuel system...yep...I gotta dig into it, there is a leak and I'm gonna find it today.

My helicopter is on administrative leave (unpaid) till further notice. If it comes down to it.....I'll FIRE it.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Sep 19, 2010, 05:58 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,262 Posts
As if by magic

to: 9SEC240 :

wouldn't KNOW how the T-28 flies !

I have the MAGIC ability to turn ALL flying models into STATIC DISPLAYS

18 helicopters, four planes and one big glider attest to that and have become fancy complicated book ends. [ you can ask VIC ! ]
i curse myself daily FOR THIS REASON.....who can go fly when the HEAT is 100F every day ?
vomit vomit
Old Sep 19, 2010, 06:03 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARRRICK View Post
I have the MAGIC ability to turn ALL flying models into STATIC DISPLAYS
You and me both

Blessings!
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Sep 19, 2010, 06:57 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
You and me both

Blessings!
LOL....I got a NICE Bell206 holding down a shelf in the basement. Right now, I'm really thinking about dumping helicopters and concentrate of real NICE planks and EDF jets. Heli's are fun and are cool BUT I've got to decide if the cost justifys the means. I fly the Uproar flight after flight. If the engine quits, I land (hasent happened with this .46 though). If a helicopter quits, it splatters it's self in an instant, sometimes you can auto-rotate, but that's a 50/50 proposition. If you're in a 15 ft high hover and it quits, not much time to auto rotate because the air across the main blades isn't enough and aint gonna save it. I'm really thinking about this:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVZB0&P=ML

using a 4 stroke engine and the optional detailed cockpit
Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:52 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Added one more bullet, got what I was after. I prop'ed it to a 11-6, I don't like it...back to the 12-6. Tomorrow will be windy/stormy/hot (for me) at 80deg....I won't be doing MUCH tomorrow. Flew the Uproar 3x today even in the wind...not a lot of problems except I need to manage the flaps a little better by NOT putting them all the way down, that don't work too well when landing....the plane slows down to slow if you don't manage the throttle at the same time...flaps are sort'a new to me, never used 'em before this year...ever, so it's a LEARNING thing.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 06:56 PM
I meant to do that!
Joined Apr 2007
1,205 Posts
Sounds like a good time with the uproar. Some times you just need a break(Heli's), fix it up put it on the shelf youll come back when your ready.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:37 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Vic,
When I get a minute I'm going to send you out an APC 12.75x3.26 prop. I absolutely loved the 46 and this prop. It is a bit slower to "spool up" but the power is unbelievable.

Kyle,
I think I'm on the back side of my heli benching. I'm going to get Hughes 500 fuse for the 450 soon and do it up with lights I'm starting to get that itch back even though we're on the end on the season.

Blessings,

Jay
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:39 PM
I meant to do that!
Joined Apr 2007
1,205 Posts
Jay

After my last little break I improved alot once I started flying again.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 07:47 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
There is as lot to be said with that. I felt like I hit a wall and was going any where. I guess I feel the same way with planes now. I think it's time for me to take helis in a scale direction.

Blessings
Old Sep 20, 2010, 09:05 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
There is as lot to be said with that. I felt like I hit a wall and was going any where. I guess I feel the same way with planes now. I think it's time for me to take helis in a scale direction.

Blessings
An amazing amount of wisdom in the last 4 posts. I think I need to give helicopters a powder for a while. Along with the Cessna 182 Gold edition, I looked at the Cessna 310 (.46 twin), it's awsome for sure. I checked out retracts for it, Robarts are almost $400 THEMSELVES. The Cessna 310 to build with retracts (I couldn't live with fixed gears on it), I'll guess about $1000 to flight ready and that thing is HUGE, my wifes "taco bell" dog would easily fit in it with comfort, and the plane would fly good with the dog on board. I could not feel good about putting the little dog in it and flying it (unless I put in an ejection seat and parachute for her). The Uproar is a GOOD beater that performs well. A REALLY NICE scaler would be good for a change, and WINTER is ALMOST here. Moving snow isn't an enjoyable hobby....it's WORK.

If these two dogs can get along, ANYBODY can. The little one acts like the big one is her mother....LOL.
Last edited by metalbenderusn; Sep 20, 2010 at 11:43 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 02:34 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,262 Posts
a GIFT from me to y'all :

http://www.tubewatcher.tv/182