SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:51 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Great vid of the 550 Ivan.
Your buddy was knocking it around pretty well and it looked like it was up to the challenge It looks like you had an awesome day!

Real,
Nice tail touch and flying. Like a bike, right? I'm telling you that little 41"er should be a great beater ship! If it's anything like my 40" with the flying, you'd love it. I tried flying the 40" with a more forward CG and I hated it. It did not fly right at all My buddy here in town had one and his flew completely different. We talked about it and he convinced me to use a lighter pack for 6 minutes of flight and shove it waaaaaaaay back. Inverted my 40 climbs in level flight It's kinda weird to hold positive elevator when a plane is inverted
It pays off in a floaty, crazy, but predictable 3D trainer. Not precise by any means

Vic,
Keep tearing up those skies! I miss my Uproar. I was just talking to a friend about it the other day.

God Bless Y'all!

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2010, 09:21 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
Great vid of the 550 Ivan.
Your buddy was knocking it around pretty well and it looked like it was up to the challenge It looks like you had an awesome day!

Real,
Nice tail touch and flying. Like a bike, right? I'm telling you that little 41"er should be a great beater ship! If it's anything like my 40" with the flying, you'd love it. I tried flying the 40" with a more forward CG and I hated it. It did not fly right at all My buddy here in town had one and his flew completely different. We talked about it and he convinced me to use a lighter pack for 6 minutes of flight and shove it waaaaaaaay back. Inverted my 40 climbs in level flight It's kinda weird to hold positive elevator when a plane is inverted
It pays off in a floaty, crazy, but predictable 3D trainer. Not precise by any means

Vic,
Keep tearing up those skies! I miss my Uproar. I was just talking to a friend about it the other day.

God Bless Y'all!

Jay
The odds caught up with me today, I crashed the Bell 206 with the shaft driven pro inside....on the 3rd battery. I got permission to use the cessna runway, and the first two flights were awsome....inverted and the whole works. The 3rd flight I dumb thumbed it and stuffed it in a bean field. The damage to the fuselage was limited to the vert stab...that was it. The heli got a bent main shaft, two stripped servos, mangled flybar, busted main blade, stripped main gear. The tail DRIVE GEARS didn't strip!!! It's gonna take some time, but I've got all the parts to fix it. The fuselage was not even scratched.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:00 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
Jim, they were shooting rockets off this past Sunday at Busse out of the control line area. I was wondering if it was you.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:30 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
The odds caught up with me today, I crashed the Bell 206 with the shaft driven pro inside....on the 3rd battery. I got permission to use the cessna runway, and the first two flights were awsome....inverted and the whole works. The 3rd flight I dumb thumbed it and stuffed it in a bean field. The damage to the fuselage was limited to the vert stab...that was it. The heli got a bent main shaft, two stripped servos, mangled flybar, busted main blade, stripped main gear. The tail DRIVE GEARS didn't strip!!! It's gonna take some time, but I've got all the parts to fix it. The fuselage was not even scratched.
That sucks but it sounds like the damage was minimal. Glad the fuse took it well.

I dumb thumbed my 450 Pro in today too. Practicing inverted hovers and started leaning off to one side and I corrected the wrong way but instead of correcting the other way, I rolled out of inverted and got freaked out and dumped it. Main shaft, main gear, flybar, boom, torque tube, tail shaft, KBDD Pro tail blades, tail boom and a set of 325D main blades.

I have crashed twice now rolling out of inverted so I took the Trex 250 over to the school after work and actually practiced flipping into inverted and then rolling out. Hopefully next time it happens I will be prepared for it and can manage to keep it from crashing.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:49 PM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Vic and Ivan,

Men....................I am so sorry to read these posts of both you losing your heli's, OUCH. As Vic said, you have most of the parts you need on hand and I hope you do too Ivan and will get them flight ready pronto.

Take Care JPEE
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:13 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
JPEE, thanks. I have a main gear on hand.. LOL!!!! I will have to order up the rest of the parts. I actually have main blades too but they are not the Align 325D blades I had on the heli. I also have a couple torque tubes that my buddy could not use when he bought a Pro boom for his Sport. I guess if I wanted to keep it cheap, I could put the stock tail blades on, the HD 325mm CF blades, the TT and main gear I have here... I could probably straighten the tail shaft and the flybar. I bet I could use a standard Align boom I have on hand too (although it is not the correct color)... the only thing I do not have is the main shafts. I wonder if a standard main shaft would work using a collar. I wonder why they redesigned the main shaft with that hump instead of the collar anyway...

hmmm.... I could possibly fly tomorrow without spending a dime.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:18 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPee View Post
Vic and Ivan,

Men....................I am so sorry to read these posts of both you losing your heli's, OUCH. As Vic said, you have most of the parts you need on hand and I hope you do too Ivan and will get them flight ready pronto.

Take Care JPEE
I've had countless flights without incident, I've done more inverted than I can remember as well as backflips and loops. I can't complain, and it was my fault and not equipment failure. While I was out there not worrying about trees or powerlines, I got a GOOD feel of what's possible. Everyone knows that a crash like this one will require a lot of setup details and redialing everything back in. I also learned that even without the trees, it's easy to get disoriented at a certain distance...but that's not what happened to cause the crash. When it was way up there a couple times, I did loose orientation, but flew it around till I got it back where I could see it. Once I had it high enough...I did a double backflip out there, just to get it down where I was more comfortable. I LOVE flying in OPEN spaces.

I'm a little bummed I got so much work ahead of me, but if you wanna play, ya gotta pay.

I got me a private AIRFIELD at my disposal....I'm STOKED!!!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:24 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
hmmm.... I could possibly fly tomorrow without spending a dime

Me too.....

Hey...if the parts work, use 'em, I'm gonna. I've been pulling parts off my old belt EXI-450 for this repair. If I pushed it, I could have a test hover by 2:00am, but I'm not gonna do it.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 03:29 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,040 Posts
1Radioflyer,been there done that with having the oddball plane from the factory that just doesnt perform similar to others and has problems beyond the pilots controll . Ofcourse its the pilot or set up and not the plane when you do get one of them . Its funny,i remember one in particular.. i struggled with it for two weeks trying everything to get it to fly right,from the very first flight it never flew right. It made me question my flying and my sanity but i knew it wasnt the pilot after exhausting all means to follow cg and manual suggestions on throws etc and trying everything else it would never 3d right for me and had some structural failures in flight as well. I later learned others experienced the same failures and quirky 3d characteristics on the first production run,weight was part of the problem.. it didnt spec out with one of the suggested set ups near what it was suppose to and there was a set up problem with the manual that was a big part of the quirky flying for 3d. I finally got sick of it and full throttled it in a terminal velocity dive to the ground pulling up at the last minute knowing it would finally end the misery it caused and be good worm food . I never seen a plane snap out so violent and fast in my life but me and my buddy got a good laugh since he knew i was on a mission to destroy the dam thing after wasting so much time and effort on it and struggling with poor flight 3d characteristics and a set up issue with the manual that made a huge impact on how it flew.

On a brighter note,took out the souka.. havent flown it in a while since i been trying to get the most flights i can in with the mxs and learn how to ride the bike again . Was fun to rip around and the wind wasnt to bad,think im gonna set up some low rates on it for smoother flying. Started getting the mxs ready for a hatch latch install tonight and some other things.

9sec240,forgot to mention the other day but the same company that makes the slipstream brand(EG Aircraft)has a smaller 59'' mx2 with the same color scheme and theres a couple places that have them. Its a 4-5s set up plane if your interested.

Techone Souka EPP 3D Fun Flying! (6 min 34 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:51 AM
TIME is so things last longer!
California
Joined Sep 2008
696 Posts
Hi Vic,

You I noticed this last week when I some limited to play with my toys that while rebuilding my 400 and tweeking the 450 Pro how much I love that part. Wrenching and the bench work as a whole if fun in its own way. Of course you dread the cost and sometime the "time" you have to put in but still........... I like a certain about of time. Brings a guy back to his roots kinda. I hope you get it rebuilt and back soon.

Ivan, you to sound close so your heli would be stock on the bench very long. Hummmmmm if you had perhaps another heli to fly while this one was down, LOL.

JPEE
JPee is offline Find More Posts by JPee
Old Jul 27, 2010, 04:21 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Sorry to hear you guys stuffed the heli's.

Real,
The Souka flies like it's on rails. Very cool

JPEE,
Are those counter tops on yet? How does it all look? Any pics?

Blessings,

Jay
Old Jul 27, 2010, 05:58 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,009 Posts
Vic,

I know you mentioned a 500 size in the future. Here's a video of a HK500GMT, all CNC, for 100 bucks. I like the Joe 6 pack videos, opposed to production videos. Looks pretty darn stable. Don't know what electronics are in it. A little tail wag, but that's correctable.

HK500CMT first flight (3 min 54 sec)
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Jul 27, 2010, 06:21 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
Vic,

I know you mentioned a 500 size in the future. Here's a video of a HK500GMT, all CNC, for 100 bucks. I like the Joe 6 pack videos, opposed to production videos. Looks pretty darn stable. Don't know what electronics are in it. A little tail wag, but that's correctable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1cG...layer_embedded
Thanks....Looks pretty good...gonna check website for specifications. Still working on the 450 pro after yesterdays crash....I didn't count on a bent tail rotor shaft. Gonna address that in a few minuets.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 09:01 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Looks like I need a new tail shaft and blades and those parts I dont have, but the head is OK now. Wind is up or I'd head to the airstrip with the Uproar. Me gott 'em headache...cant shake it either.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 10:00 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
I had to post to Y'all and say I'm still as busy as a 3 peckered owl, thanks for that saying JPEE, LOL!

I've been Blessed with the new owner of the company getting tons of work and I now have an apprentice to teach. The best part about this guy is I have known him since he was a baby and his Dad taught my how to fly. Bad thing is he is a much better R/C pilot than me. So far it has made for fun days of hard work but good RC conversation. Plus~ this guy grew up learning how to build airplanes like myself so measurements are spot on. Very fun

Y'all have a great day tomorrow!

Blessings,

Jay
Last edited by 1Radioflyer; Jul 27, 2010 at 10:05 PM.