HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2010, 12:47 AM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
LOL... My very first helicopter was the LMH Corona 120 about 9 years ago. I probably had around $2000 into it RTF.
Had I bought a heli in the late 80's or mid 90's, it would have been a cricket, and my heli career would have probibily ended there.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:07 AM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,648 Posts
hahahaha........will do Dave.

Great STOL vid GR.......that has to be some fun and some butt tightening flying.

Barry
CopterKid77 is online now Find More Posts by CopterKid77
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:14 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,269 Posts
Cricket

MAN, you brought back some MEMORIES of the 80s and onwards.!
First I purchased a CRICKET by GMP --- Fixed pitch, motorized..... no matter what I tried I was never able to get it up in the air...!
a bit later they brought out the COBRA, <CP> but those helis did NOT use any mixing at all, just four straight servos, no GYRO !
with the COBRA and "VERY" favorable flying conditions : every night, after work, I had a whole hangar ( 747 size) closed, polished concrete floor and NO WIND in which to practice. So I was finally able to get the heli airborne. I did get it into HOVER, by then there were only very specialized groups of people who did helis, so not exchanging with them the concepts of 'nose in" etc were unknown. There was a defective connection up in the head and when the defect caused a boom strike (twice) @ $ 250.00 each repair I just gave up with helis. Here in Houston we had the producers of the HORIZON heli. I would go out to the parking lot of RICE UNIVERSITY and watch the flying, and envy the performance.I remember being able to make the COBRA hover and even went higher than my own 6.1ft height. So that was fairly OK.
Yes, VIC, having done the Cricket it was very likely one would have given up the hobby ...
now as you can see; I am still not progressing very fast, but I guess I have to admit being " old " ?
at 6 am : closing down, there's a terrible storm in progress.
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:49 AM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
Had I bought a heli in the late 80's or mid 90's, it would have been a cricket, and my heli career would have probibily ended there.
My heli career "ended" shortly after I purchased it too. I spent a fortune fixing it after crashes and finally put it away in favor of RC cars and trucks. Eight years later, I dug it out of the garage after flying a $20.00 IR 3CH heli my buddy picked up at Walgreens. Things have changed a LOT in the RC world since I picked up that Corona.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:49 AM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,210 Posts
Guys! Those are some really good videos.

Rick
Sorry about the crash it was goin good till the end.
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:26 AM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,210 Posts
Gave Steve his HBFP Sunday(sorry no video) and after afew mins of getting use to controls I told him to take it up about 2ft off the ground. He was hovering within 3mins of never touching a RC heli before. He really likes it and was grateful for the gift. I also ran my little buggy afew tanks for fun after my Saturday flying tuning bad.

Saturday I went to the flying field, everything was going good I had already flown 1 pack thru the EXI and 3 tanks in the Vision. I decided to fly the Exi again! I started by turning a clockwise circuit(1st time ever), then some side in hovers(Im gettin better), Then I did a stationary roll It rolled perfect Albert the shop owner commented how nice and clean the roll was then I told him "would you have guessed that was the 1st time I tried that". So being all excited I decided my nerves had enuff of that flight, and on the return for landing I had it coming in gave alittle adjustment to gain altitude to level it off before landing It shot up, and back going inverted into a tree top. After a minute in fell out of the tree back to me. Normal damage blade, shafts, mixing arm, not to bad. What I did find was the motor pinion (12t Rhino pinion) was loose with its set-srew cracked in half. This has happened one other time to me where the set-srew was cracked. OK Im fine with crash that just dont worry about it it not to bad. After relaxing watching other guys fly abit, I wanted one more tank thru my Vision. I had finally got my Idleup setup good on it and was comfortable with the power and handling. I did some more side-ins then moved into a slow CW circuit, as I went in front of me going for another pass I lost all response to it. Engine still running its heading for the ground fast OH MAN DID IT HIT HARD! We found that the brand new RX batt I just installed had failed , It broke the lower right frame, both skid struts, blades, mainshaft, main gear, pitch links and mixers. It could have been alot worse, so after feeling alittle sick to my stomach I collected what was left and went home. Set it all in a pile next to my bench awaiting rebuild.
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Jul 19, 2010, 03:03 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Kyle....you should have stayed home. I've had days like that and it seems everything you touch turns to garbage. Shake it off guy, that's what I do. I've NEVER had a problem with the rhino pinions and set screws...guess I've been lucky. I've been using strictly rhino pinions because too many failures with the bronze pinions. We've got a real nice LOW wind day going on, but the sun will peel the hide right off ya, and it's only like 78deg. The sun is HOT, I'm not gonna stand in it to fly.

Cricket...I remember they were strictly no gyro fly by the seat of your pants type helicopters. I bypassed my gyro on the MX-400 and flew it once and I found it's not impossible, but it's not even close to being FUN either...that was a lot of work hovering with no gyro. Glad I never bought one...it would have been a severe disappointment.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 06:09 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
Kyle,

That just plain sucks, two in one day. That set-srew will get ya every time, I caught it.

dave
choppersrule is online now Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Jul 19, 2010, 06:11 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
Just puttered around the house today, went to the mail box and found a coupon. Lucky me... $15 big ones. About 2 miles down the road, rib city here I come. Yummie!

http://www.davesday2010.com/
choppersrule is online now Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Jul 19, 2010, 07:22 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
HA!!! Congrats Dave on winning the food lottery! You are Blessed, enjoy that food

Kyle,
I feel for you. I just made my Edge 540 a project On the first flight I hit the ground so hard the carbon fiber gear broke. I flew the second flight with just one gear leg but finished off the second upon landing. Third flight I hovered it into a soccer net to catch it. Fourth flight I hit the ground so hard I had to quit... many things broken Good news is that it looks like I can put it all back together

Blessings,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:05 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Wow Kyle- that truly sucks. Guss we all have had days like that. Seems you are taking it well enough.

Jim
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:07 PM
"To Hover is Divine"
United States, MO, Howell
Joined May 2010
1,648 Posts
Hi Jay, Dave........ya think if we all changed our names to Dave they'd buy that?? Great looking menu and got one in Branson....bout 2hrs from me.....wow. I told Tee that would get me out of the house for a bit.!!

Barry
CopterKid77 is online now Find More Posts by CopterKid77
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:47 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopterKid77 View Post
Hi Jay, Dave........ya think if we all changed our names to Dave they'd buy that?? Great looking menu and got one in Branson....bout 2hrs from me.....wow. I told Tee that would get me out of the house for a bit.!!

Barry
Hey Barry,
Food has the power to change my plans My wife brings a book when we go to an all you can eat crab legs place. I try to "beat the house". I think I win most of the time

God Bless Ya,

Jay
Old Jul 19, 2010, 09:54 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
Hey Barry,
Food has the power to change my plans My wife brings a book when we go to an all you can eat crab legs place. I try to "beat the house". I think I win most of the time

God Bless Ya,

Jay
LOL..."beat the house". If I wanna beat the house, I have to bring my son...I cant do it. When my son walks through the door, the manager breaks into a cold sweat, the waitresses fight on who is gonna take his table...nobody wants it. If it's shrimp...they're really in trouble.
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:00 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
LOL..."beat the house". If I wanna beat the house, I have to bring my son...I cant do it. When my son walks through the door, the manager breaks into a cold sweat, the waitresses fight on who is gonna take his table...nobody wants it. If it's shrimp...they're really in trouble.
HA!

Any news I hope those in charge get things done soon

Blessings,

Jay