HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:54 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,269 Posts
Great reading today!

THANKS TO ALL WHO WRITE IN : it all makes for great company
BUT an especially big thanks to JIM WNUK for that tremendous long film of the Make a Wish event. Even the music was acceptable to my ears but I truly wished I had been there. What a NICELY DONE movie !
I am so glad to be a part of this great group of friends
RICK

JPEE : I guess "fortitude" is the word required to live through breaks of that magnitude. I can see the trend away from 600 and 700 s due to cost. For now I will keep my 2 450 s in good order

I signed back in to add : CONGRATULATIONS to 9sec240 for this tremendous film taken from the T28, now that is a WELL DONE project, without having all the details of equipment used, etc.
The PRIMARY interest for me (run it twice just to confirm) was the very small amount in degrees that the elevator deflects in flight. This is a correct setup but also a clear sign of expert hands or thumbs on the transmitter. Couldn't detect any rudder input while in flight, but the rudder peeks around a wee bit while taxiing around on the ground. AND I made this commentary just to pick up on the previous problems with deflection, if you recall, with the previous EXTRA 300 and the big deflections that one has. THESE ARE QUITE A CONTRAST..!! ..... Just to get a LOOP the elevator deflects maybe 3 or 4 degrees which proves the aerodynamic correctness of the model. The quiet sound of an electric contributes to pleasure in watching the film. ( I tried watching the car film but can't take the "music" ( ! ) that was put into it..
BARRRICK is online now Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Last edited by BARRRICK; Jul 17, 2010 at 09:14 PM. Reason: add text
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:08 AM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Jim WNUK, I agree with Rick, very nice video. Looks like your event has progressed to include EVERYTHING!!! Full size Planes, cars, trucks, motorcycles, moon bounce, face painting, RC planes, jets, helicopters... did I even see a cannon? Wow!! Very cool.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:00 AM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,210 Posts
Ok got project #1 complete tuned and flying!
I got a Esky HoneyBee FP as a parts for next to nothing. Added steel Trex450 flybar, FP head stiffener, CP3 mixer 3n1, AR6100, DD tail, and a 3s 1200mah lipo. Programed it to Steves DX6i and got it dialed in good. For a FP heli this thing is a hands off hovering heli Biggest plus for it is its very durable(I hit afew trees and a power line) just pick it up the go again.

Project#2
I picked up 2 nitro buggies for the windy or general bad weather days here in Indiana. I acquired 1/16th Sportwerks Chaos buggies, one needs a pull start, both could use new tires. Both run great! The engine is tiny in these, one of the pics is a size comparison to a 3s 2150mah Rhino pack from my EXI.

Catch you later
"gone flying"
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Jul 17, 2010, 04:52 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,269 Posts
It's proper to post when something GOOD happens.
I did the struts for the micro planes yesterday and today I installed a LIGHT system in one of the helis and the components ( s rews, nuts etc ) are smaller than micro-sized.
I suddenly just now realized that it seems all the problems that have been holding me back have faded away : My hands no longer shake and will hold and use micro sized items, my eyes focus quite well if I use the trifocal settings. Now I wonder what it was that was making problems like that. I hope this fix works and stays for a while. Next challenge will be the rigging for the CAMEL which is labor intensive.for that I have to wait see if HANGAR 9 will deliver the rigging that was not included in the kit box. I just now crashed the WALKERA, a gust picked it up high and backed it into the garage "just" barely missing me. One of the blades broke in half and the other is bad nicked,The joke is that I was making a film of the flight to encourage my friend overseas to try and fly his own Walkera... sent off for spares already. But it showed me that I still don't have the sharp/fast reflexes needed to fly a helicopter correctly....:-(
RICK
ps.s the film came out really well and the speeding dive of the heli past the camera is clearly seen . HA HA
MAQ00057 (3 min 47 sec)
BARRRICK is online now Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Last edited by BARRRICK; Jul 17, 2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:21 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Hey All!

Wunk/Jim,
I loved the video. That is such a great thing your group puts together for kids. It looks like it pretty fun for all as well. That SNJ pilot sure was low Very cool cars, too

Ivan,
My local small town store owner gave me a sample of the bacon potato salad and I was hooked! I have purchased many containers sense
Nice flying and landing with that T-28 You sure fly at a beautiful place

Kyle,
Sweet looking heli and car

Stamp/Jim,
Any pics from Lego land? Sounds cool

Rick,
Sorry to hear you lost a heli I'm glad it missed you though. I caught the srews thing... cracked me up I pray you continue to get better and continue to be able to work on the the small stuff as well!

I had a great day at a local giant scale 3D fliers event. There were some great pilots and amazing planes. One guy is just shy of being sponsored but I'm sure it will happen soon. He did so many maneuvers that I was sure would end up bad but each time he just kept on. Smoke systems galore
I also got to catch up with many of my old flying friends that I hadn't seen in quite some time. Just a wonderful day

I hope everyone had a great day as well and a relaxing Sunday, too!

God Bless Y'all,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Last edited by 1Radioflyer; Jul 17, 2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:08 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Video from today flying the Extra 300. Lots of loops, rolls, etc... you will either like it or throw up from the roller coaster ride!!

Parkzone Extra 300 sport flying. (6 min 47 sec)
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:09 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Like Jay...been busy. Winds are running 13-18mph, not very R/C friendly at all. I built up a mail box for the brother in law, installed a working mower deck on my mower and mowed the front yard....that's about it. Now I gotta do a little GI here in the basement...getting rough, needs cleaned badly.

Rick...sorry to see that crash.

Guess I'll get to the broom and dustpan. I really need to finish stripping the paint off the minibike...been dragging that out way too long.

Alrighty then.....you guys been BUSY.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old Jul 17, 2010, 10:12 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
RICK!!!! WOW!! That was VERY close!! Sorry about the crash but the video is AWESOME!
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:22 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Rick,
Good video but man that was close. I'm glad you didn't get hit. It was good to see you pushing those sticks though and flying that heli

Ivan,
The flying is great and the perspective from the camera is great. The quality from the camera is very impressive as well. Do you mind posting the link for the camera again? I'd like to try one or two of those out. I love aerial footage
Blessings,

Jay
Old Jul 17, 2010, 11:37 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Jay, I got that camera from a buddy of mine. I PMd him to see where he got it. I have another that I got from Hobby King that seemed to take even clearer video but it was choppy. People have mentioned that it is the speed of the SD card that causes that. I picked up some class 4 cards tonight that I will try tomorrow. I am hoping that they do the trick.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:00 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Some dual perspective video from saturday morning with the mxs,gonna try and get a couple flights in a little while with the camera facing forward. Should have my other cam for onboard video next week .

Slipstream 26% MXS With Dual Perspective Video! (5 min 56 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2010, 08:59 AM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Rick- Loved the video! That was a bit close but rest assured we have all done that before. Was a bit difficult to tell but did I notice a bit of nose in early in the video?

Ivan- How has the 300 been behaving with the "upside down" wing?

Real- Nice perspective video, really liked it.

Jay- still waiting for my BBQ invite!! LMAO. And yes, those bosy in the SNJ and PT 17 do fly low for us. Neat thing is if you head to the airport they are based at, they will take you up in either plane for a small fee. They did a drawing for a ride in the PT 17 for us to help raise money for the event. Great bunch of guys. The PT 17 pilot does some mild aerobatic on calm days over the vlly. Seeing him loop and roll practice over my house is really something!

Vic- Any more videos from you to see? Wasn't your son gogin to help you with more or did that "pike" fishing get in the way??!!

I need to do some flying to keep up with you boys!BTW, I didn't do the video of our event, another flyer did it for us. I just posted the link.

Jim
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:55 AM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Great Vid Real! It looks like your getting right back in the saddle with balsa.

Ivan,
I'm going to go window shopping for a small camera today and see what's out there. Maybe a flycam 2 is in order? It would be nice to get some video like you guys are getting without the weight penalty and hassle of slinging the big camera from the belly.

Jim,
I saw fresh baby back ribs were on sale in the paper today
I might have to go get a rack

Blessings All!

Jay
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:11 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
This is what ive been using since last year Mini Cam. This is the one ive been wanting to get for a while and it was back in stock and on the way now Key chain cam. Picked up a new slash 4x4 body a week or so ago to,got some flights in a while ago with the cam facing forward.. i even used that low rate thing switch for the plane to . Havent flown low rates since last year and i rarely use them but it was nice to fly the plane with more throttle and smoother lines.. got some long passes to. Will put together some clips later today or tomorrow from the flying. Babyback ribs sound good.. maybe famous daves tomorrow.. been thinking chipolte mexican grill though to. Liked that extra vid on the take off.. cool to see the prop wash kick up all the dust.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:58 AM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Real, very nice video. The prospective change is interesting. When you are flying slow and high alpha, your hat cam shows it to be very slow and graceful while the on board still seems like all hell is breaking loose!! LOL.

Jim, I flew a couple flights with the wings flipped over and it does fly better. I could loop harder without getting a corkscrew. Landings were also much easier as the elevator is not as pitchy. I had to go back to right side up because the orientation was just killing me. For sport flying, the plane flies decently enough stock. I just have to remember to be light on the elevator and expect less than perfect landings if I am trying to land short.

Jay, I can't say enough about the versatility of the keychain cams. They are very small and super easy to mount. I am just sticking them on with velcro!! Can you tell which cam took the nose over in the dirt on the Extra yesterday? LOL
Last edited by 9sec240; Jul 18, 2010 at 12:04 PM.