Old Jul 13, 2010, 09:21 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARRRICK View Post
HELLO FRIEND;
WHY DON'T YOU WRITE ME AN E-mail about your Rap.30
there's ALL KINDS of electric helis you can pick in return, or "WHATEVER" floats your dinghy.
we can always Xchange ideas, right ?
Helis you could have: HBK2 HBK3 BELTCPv.2 T/REX BladeSR WALKER FP #4
even mSR ....
well ?

RICK

p.s. I own 2 Raps.V2 already a third would fit just right
LMAO...Rick...yer too much...
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2010, 09:24 AM
Life is always craptastic!
United States, WA, Pacific
Joined Jan 2007
121 Posts
Good to see everyone and thanks for the welcome back guys!

I knew that Vic would be after me about that Corsair.......lol. All that is left to do on it is find the right balsa sealer and do the final sandings, then either paint and apply the decals or cover and apply them. As far as heat and motivation go..........I hear ya.

Another long day of work ahead and will be around a little more tonite. Last nite was the episode of Deadliest Catch that I just couldn't miss, how many of ya guys watched it?

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________

Of all the things I ever lost....................................... I miss my mind the most!
ArrowNaughtic is offline Find More Posts by ArrowNaughtic
Old Jul 14, 2010, 02:09 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,262 Posts
True cost: Any idea ?

I've been offered what is described as a Great Opportunity :

T-REX 600
electric with the very TOP components available
DX-7 SE system.
all installed, brings the highest possible charger system (I forget specs.!)
professionally assembled and test flown for delivery to customer.
Customer puts on ONE HOVERING FLIGHT and becomes very ill (Diabetes)
so the heli gets put on sale due to $$ situation lack of money + urgency.

ALL INCLUSIVE SYSTEM, TOP BLADES BRAND, guaranteed perfect condition
PRICE: $ 1200

is this really a good buy ?

RICK

p.s. the LHS offered me, a year ago, a TREX 500 ready to fly for: $ 1500
which of course I did not take
BARRRICK is offline Find More Posts by BARRRICK
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:46 PM
Time For Me To Fly!
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,955 Posts
Heres some current prices on 500,550,600 trex's.. various component groups.. click the add to cart button when map price is given to see discounted price. All will qaulify for an additional $25.00 off coupon as well. I sold my trex 600e for $420.00 shipped with 401 gyro and high grade tail servo,torque tube upgrade,align esc and motor,bec unit,carbon blade etc. Used but never crashed and in very good condition. Lots of options but if your really looking for a rtf 600e test flown and trimmed some of the heli only online shops offer that service for a fee.. the local shop here does that as well. A link to the heli or more info would be helpful,the more heli orientated guys could give it a good look over and price out the whole set up to see what it would run new with all the same equipment.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:47 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Rick,

It sounds a little high, but without knowing some of the specifics it's hard to price it out. With only one flight, it's like new.
The DX7 SE new is about $299. You mentioned "highest possible charger system", so, I'd put a price of about $150 on that. I'm guessing that it would come with at least one flight battery and one RX battery. The flight battery, minimal requirement, would be a 6S 5,000 mAh 25C for sport flying.

I sold my Trex 600 ESP, 2 months ago for about $700, minus the TX, RX, and battery charger.

If you could give us anymore details we'd love to help ya out.

Tener cuidado,

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Jul 14, 2010, 06:55 PM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,262 Posts
DREAM OF "600" went POOF !

as it turns out, the retirement funds handler, when asked for $1200.00 NIXED it outright, explaining clearly that as a retiree and advances taken so far, if taken again would PUT ME IN A HIGHER TAX BRACKET for 2011.
It's bad enough already so I put the 600 in the broken dreams box.
Maybe the wisdom of Mr. VIC continues to protect me

so spending this amount would be EXTREMELY HIGH COST and as an olde phartte I need to COOL it.

p.s. it's not as if I don't have ANY helicopters, right ?

besides, if the CHOPPERS sold his 600 there must be some solid reason
RICK

pp.ss.. I just took out the E-SKY BELT CP v.2 to fly after the "adjustement" job I made and it is ANOTHER PERFECT FLYER....! THANKS VIC
Old Jul 14, 2010, 07:39 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Rick- Maybe better you didn't jump on it. Uncle Same wants too much from us the way it is! Hoping you can get some video for us soon. Haven't seen anything new from ya in awhile.

Randy- Hope Liz is doing OK after losing her brother in law. Tell her we sens our best to her and the family.

Jim
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Last edited by Wnuk; Jul 14, 2010 at 07:44 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:07 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
[QUOTE=ArrowNaughtic;15539840
Another long day of work ahead and will be around a little more tonite. Last nite was the episode of Deadliest Catch that I just couldn't miss, how many of ya guys watched it?

Arrow,

I did watch the Deadliest Catch often, and was sad to hear that, Captain Phil Harris has passed away. An amazing series to say the least.
Dave
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:13 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARRRICK View Post
besides, if the CHOPPERS sold his 600 there must be some solid reason
RICK
Rick,

The main reason I sold my Trex 600 was, I was afraid to crash it. A "Good" set of main blades is about 100 bucks, others about 50 bucks.
There was nothing wrong at all with the heli whatsoever. I've cut back on the helis for now, my fleet is small. I have a Trex 500 and a HK450Pro TT.

Dave
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:18 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnuk View Post
Randy- Hope Liz is doing OK after losing her brother in law. Tell her we sens our best to her and the family.

Jim
Jim,
Thanks for your concerns, I'll tell Liz. That's the third death in the family this year. Anymore, we just shutter when the phone rings.
Dave
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:31 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Rick....get the cobb webbs off that pile of helicopters and fly 'em. Glad you got the CPv2 going. I can tell you it was a MONSTER to set up with that crappy stock radio. Once I got it dialed in, it wasn't bad at all and I preferred flying it it idle up instead of normal mode. To find a perfect balance between normal mode head speed and idleup head speed, it was virtually IMPOSSIBLE. So what I did was to dial in the idle up so it was good, and the normal mode was a little on the sluggish side...had to be done that way because of limits using a stock radio and the mechanical setup. I got it as close as physically possible, and it flew exceptionally well in idleup and IS capable of inverted flight and 3D in the right hands.

Vic

Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:37 AM
Joined Jul 2010
105 Posts
Hi guys

Here are my ideas so far regarding a DIY heli project

TX/RX - HK or Turnigy set from HK.. price is too hard to knock back for me
Servo - A couple of $3-4 servos (prob from HK again)
ESC - Again, a cheap ESC from HK
BEC - HK cheapie (if required.. not sure yet)
Gyro - HK 401B
Motor - Rewound CD motor (Brushless)
Frame - DIY
Head - DIY
Swash - DIY
Blades - DIY
Tail boom - DIY (probably aluminium tubing)
Tail Rotor - DIY
Tail Drive - Not sure whether to go belt or motor driven at this stage.

So basically, the electronics will be cheap stuff from HK with combined total cost of around US$100 including 9-Channel TX. Diy parts will be fabricated from fibreglass plate at around 1-1.5mm thickness. Most parts will be CA'd first then epoxied for strength. Frame designs still being worked on but approximate size will be 350-400mm rotor diameter and 150-200g total weight. Initial model will be fixed pitch with large skid footprint and low COG to make it beginner friendly. I have it in mind that it will be able to be assembled and flown by someone who hasnt flown before (someone like me :P).

Any thoughts and comments welcome... help is always appreciated

Cheers

Jay
jayw81 is offline Find More Posts by jayw81
Old Jul 15, 2010, 06:38 AM
USA, TX, Houston
Joined May 2002
1,262 Posts
E-SKY BELT CP v.2

VIC: good morning, ( THU 7/15/10 6.00 am )
what you write is exactly correct. However, the hit this heli must have taken coming from Michigan to Texas must have been something ELSE
because the boom was OFF (the only part I was able to fix myself) and the belt was so loose around the internal gear that it hardly pulled the tail rotor around. Then the rudder servo was out of alignement also and I was not able to figure out how to center the servo arm with the actuator in the back. So it went to the recently found LHS expert fixer/upper. worked up and found that the GYRO was hanging from a thread and although apparently connected to the frame was dancing around under power...

anyway : here I brought it back to the house and remembering your report about running it simple ( not Idle-up ) I did it like that and it works very very well. Will try the Idle-up setting next time it's taken out. I am doing very well with the helis. Hoping to get more to practice and FLY THEM ALL. Sent the MD530 INNOVATOR back to California and that one remains to be heard from don't really know what they plan to return. I mentioned If they won't fix permanently I want a return of the total price.
The INNOVATOR EXP is actually flying perfect and is SO centered it holds hands off for several seconds. the FP WALKERA is also doing very well (provided there is no wind ! ) and I am going to make a film of the way it flies so I can post the film for our new friend in PERTH to see. I think that for $ 99.00 total price for the whole package this WALKERA #4 serves his purposes way better than what he is planning to do.
6:30am rolled around and I have to get on with it .... go to work

ps because I feel a lot better, yesterday afternoon the CAMEL was completed ... install two servos and connect everything up is the only remaining job, maybe done over the week-end except that the WHOLE RIGGING is a complex job. I know, because I built the VK CAMEL once before and it took a year to complete. see the pic, it looks good.
Last edited by BARRRICK; Jul 15, 2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: add picture attachment
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:00 PM
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayw81 View Post
Hi guys

Gyro - HK 401B
Frame - DIY
Head - DIY
Swash - DIY
Blades - DIY
Tail Rotor - DIY

So basically, the electronics will be cheap stuff from HK with combined total cost of around US$100 including 9-Channel TX. Diy parts will be fabricated from fibreglass plate at around 1-1.5mm thickness. Most parts will be CA'd first then epoxied for strength. Frame designs still being worked on but approximate size will be 350-400mm rotor diameter and 150-200g total weight. Initial model will be fixed pitch with large skid footprint and low COG to make it beginner friendly. I have it in mind that it will be able to be assembled and flown by someone who hasnt flown before (someone like me :P).

Cheers

Jay
Although your efforts are commendable, I've been down the road listed above to an extent. The results will depend entirely on how well it's built and setting it up. You can get an HK450 for about $45USD shipped, and add all the electronics from HK and still come out with something flyable (I use the word flyable loosely). Fixed pitch is less forgiving on a learning pilot than a CP unit. My point, you are gonna put in a LOT of time for a custom fixed pitch helicopter (which are generally electric motor tails that are controlled with an "all in one"), you're gonna end up spending MORE and loosing more if it crashes. An "all in one" controller is comprised of the ESC/BEC, RX, tail motor controller, and gyro. My opinion...get a CP like the HK-450, the gyro, ESC (35-40a), and the $3 servos....You'll be into it for less than $150USD (I think) and have something that is more stable than a 300 sized heli. The battery it will use is a 2200mAh 20c, and they run about $17 ea before ship from HK, and you can use an E-Sky cheap charger for Li-Po batteries that costs $20USD instead of $80-$150 for a decient one.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 03:39 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayw81 View Post
Hi guys

Gyro - HK 401B
Frame - DIY
Head - DIY
Swash - DIY
Blades - DIY
Tail Rotor - DIY

Cheers

Jay
JayW,

I've read your blog and see that this is a project that you are really looking forward to. As far as the tail drive, it's a flip of a coin. If you decide on a belt drive, you'll spend extra money on the tail assembly and boom. If you decide on an electric motor, then money on the controller for it. Too, not knowing how many amps your DIY motor will pull, it may fry the controller with an electric tail. Just my opinion, but I think the belt drive is more reliable.

Here's a site you may find interesting.

http://rcvehicles.about.com/gi/o.htm...ect/index.html