Notice anything odd?
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:02 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Have you tried flying it with the wing upsidedown? I would think you will see great results based on the way it was.

Jim
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:10 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
Jim,
Nothing touches my heart more than helping kids in need.

Dave
That right there is the reason we do the show. It has never been about us or "look what we can do". It's about helping the kids. We often get to meet some of the families that have been helped by the event. They are so grateful for charities like Make-A-Wsh and event's like ours that it always brings a tear to my eyes. Karen and I are thankful for 2 healthy childern. I couldn't fathom what some of the families go through.

Jay- I was so busy working kids games when the Pitts went up I couldn't get my camera quick enough for some close ups. But I immediately thought of you knowing how much you want me to get the smoke on the Decathlon going. Hey, if you got a plane looking for smoke, I have a pump you could have. Let me know, I'll drop it in the mail for ya. No charge of course.

Jim
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:14 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Jim, I did just get back from flying it. Low speed it still has the corkscrew with ELE issue but at WOT, it loops just fine. I would love to hear everybody's opinion on this but it sure seem to me to support Jay's contention that one wing is stalling. At low speeds, it would stall more easily right?

Besides the loops being just fine in FFF, it flies very well. I only put one battery through it.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:14 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
Notice anything odd?
Ivan,

You turned the fuselage upside down. LMAO!

Need a report on the next flight to see the difference, hope it works out.

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:20 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Notice anything odd?
Maybe it's just the camera angle, but it appears that the wings are slanted downward from the fuselage.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:29 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Real, nice flying. I finally got to watch your vids. Very cool. Would love to get an idea of the scale of that plane. Can you get somebody to hold it for ya and snap a pic? Seemed like it was a bit underpowered as it had a hard time pulling out of hovers... or maybe you just were not giving it all she had.

Jim, very cool event. You should be very proud. Looks like you have a lot of good people involved. Some awesome aircraft pictures. How did the RC portion of the event go?
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:41 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Ivan- At low speeds the wing will stall quicker for sure. The BF 109 I have is real easy to stall at slower speeds. Need to keep speed up in a bank or she will snap without warning. The RC portion went great. We invite flyers from all the local clubs and it brings us modelers together from different areas to swap stories an such. The RC show ran from trainer demos (buddy box flying too to help raise money), to small scale, giant scale (great P51 in Tuskegee Airman scheme), to some incredible jets. Had to be real careful with the jets because skydivers were jumping all day.

The guys flying the helis were just outdtanding with the Raptor being the model of choice among them. Don't think anyone flew electric helis yesterday as the wind was up a bit. 2 years ago, Dave Brown (AMA President) flew his 500 in the show for us. Just called us out of the blue, said he heard about our show, and wanted to come out. Word gets around quickly I suppose.

Keep us up to date on the Extra with that upsidedown fuselage!

Quick link to the events web page. Ton's of pic from years past. In the "behind the scenes" album there are lost of my sad mug. www.wingsfullofwishes.com
Old Jul 12, 2010, 07:52 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
Check out the attached link... Go to post #2 and watch the video, then go back to post #1 and go to the link. Then about 3/4 down that page is another video, skip that one and go to the next one. It has to do with low head speeds and longer flight times. I'm gonna try it on my T-500.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1272547

Dave
Dave, I think what really makes that work is the FBL unit. The gyroscopic stability you would lose by running less than half your current head speed would need to be made up somewhere. A good FBL unit could keep things steady. I also can't imagine that you would have the cyclic response needed to fly well with a flybarred unit at those low head speeds. Again, a good FBL unit can be tweaked to get the cyclic response high enough.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 08:12 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Dave, I think what really makes that work is the FBL unit. The gyroscopic stability you would lose by running less than half your current head speed would need to be made up somewhere. A good FBL unit could keep things steady. I also can't imagine that you would have the cyclic response needed to fly well with a flybarred unit at those low head speeds. Again, a good FBL unit can be tweaked to get the cyclic response high enough.
Ivan,
Thanks for the heads up on the FBL. I noticed the FBL in the second video, but not the first.. Heck, getting old. LMAO!
Old Jul 12, 2010, 08:53 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Ivan,
On the low speed corkscrew... if you can twist the wing and make it some what permanent. If it screws rights take the right wing tip and bend it downward. If left... twist the left tip down. This will help with the slower speeds but good to hear the higher speeds went better. Now you just need to swap the paint from the top to the bottom Sorry to see such a lemon of a plane come from Horizon Hobbies. It doesn't surprise me though

Blessings,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jul 12, 2010, 08:58 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Dave,
Those videos were impressive and very "scale" like. I noticed that they were both flybarless as well. That computer must work it rear end off to keep things stable If that's how I understand it

I bet Vic could make one bad arse scaler with one of those helis

Blessings,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Jul 12, 2010, 09:10 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
Dave,
Those videos were impressive and very "scale" like. I noticed that they were both flybarless as well. That computer must work it rear end off to keep things stable If that's how I understand it

I bet Vic could make one bad arse scaler with one of those helis

Blessings,

Jay
Jay,

I really love the scale flying, like in the video. I may have to pursue a FBL.
You know me, a nut case. Lol!
Blessing to you and the family,
Dave
Old Jul 13, 2010, 04:49 AM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,984 Posts
9sec240 thanks on the flying,the specs for the mxs are 72'' wingspan and 67.5'' length.. its the largest plane ive flown so far,been flying it a bit reserved since i havent flown a balsa plane in so long but the flying with balsa will come back to me eventually.. its sort of like going to a 600 from a 450,more mass and stability but not nearly as quick or violent as the smaller stuff. On the power.. the power is very modest with the hacker on 6s but i knew it would be when i started,gonna try some things out soon though. Snapped these pics earlier tonight.. its a clipped wing mxs now though with a 66'' wingspan,will fly it soon then start on moving the rudder servo and some other things after that to make it a bit more friendly for the set ups i'll be running in the future probably.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
Old Jul 13, 2010, 07:24 AM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Just love the trim scheme on the MXS, Real. You seem to be having a great time with it!

Jim