HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:18 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Rick,
T-storms rolled through here and our alarms went off but the "Doppler indicated" tornado was 15 miles north of me. It went through quick with no damage here.

Ivan,
That wind was blowing in that video! I'm not sure I'd drive a RC car in that kind of wind
Good stuff

Blessings Y'all,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:29 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Notice anything cool about this pic?
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Jun 27, 2010, 04:48 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Full charge in less than a half hour and if your flight time is back, you used a safe amount of mah?

Blessings,

Jay
Old Jun 27, 2010, 05:09 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Jay, Good observations. I am charging at 5A (a bit over 2C). This battery is from my 450 Pro. What I found cool is that it put back in EXACTLY 80% to the mA!!
Old Jun 27, 2010, 06:01 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
This battery is from my 450 Pro. What I found cool is that it put back in EXACTLY 80% to the mA!!
That is very cool It sounds like you got the gearing and head speed perfect.

On the charging thing. I have the ThunderPower 610. There is no manual way to up the charge rate. Most batteries take an hour to charge I need to do something about that

God Bless ya Ivan!

Jay
Old Jun 27, 2010, 06:26 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Jay, you can't choose the charge current rate? or the charger just wont provide high enough current to charge over 1C?
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:01 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
I have not found a way to change the charge rate. I can choose the fast charge option but it only cuts about 10 minutes off the charge. Most charges are 1hour 5 minutes with every battery. The instructions are incredible hard to understand so I'm not even sure if there is a way to can the charge rate.

Blessings,

Jay
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:35 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Is it a 610c Jay?

Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:39 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
I have not found a way to change the charge rate. I can choose the fast charge option but it only cuts about 10 minutes off the charge. Most charges are 1hour 5 minutes with every battery. The instructions are incredible hard to understand so I'm not even sure if there is a way to can the charge rate.

Blessings,

Jay
Jay,
I found the attached thread, and the guy mentions that the TP 610 has a max of 4 amps output. The TP 610C has 10 amps. Example, if you had a 2,000mAh battery, you could charge it at 2C, with the 610.

I know on my Bantam charger it took me some time to figure out all the options. I actually just kept hitting buttons, because the manual is not very clear at all.

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=116147

Bless ya,
Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Jun 27, 2010, 08:56 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
A 1C charge rate will usually charge battery in about an hour. An 80% discharge should take 80% of an hour to recharge and the rest of that time is spent balancing the pack.

Your charger goes from CC (constant current) to CV (constant voltage) to balance the packs. When you select fast charge, you are skipping the balance charge. This is probably not the best option as cells will begin to become less balanced and will end up reducing capacity as you will have cells that are not fully charged.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 09:01 PM
Luvin' Life
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Ivan and Dave,
That's the charger I have in the picture, 610c. I have cycled through the menus and haven't seen where I can change the charge value. I think I'll call TP tomorrow and hit up their customer support. They've always been extremely helpful. I have the cash to upgrade to a better charge now so maybe that's the ticket.

Ivan,
What charger is that in your picture? Happy with it?

Thanks for the reply on the fast charge. I did it once but after finding that it didn't increase the charge rate I went back to the normal charge rate. I'd love to be able to do 2C at least

Dave,
Will that Bantam allow you to select the charge rate?

God Bless!

Jay
Old Jun 27, 2010, 09:36 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Radioflyer View Post
Ivan and Dave,
That's the charger I have in the picture, 610c. I have cycled through the menus and haven't seen where I can change the charge value. I think I'll call TP tomorrow and hit up their customer support. They've always been extremely helpful. I have the cash to upgrade to a better charge now so maybe that's the ticket.

Ivan,
What charger is that in your picture? Happy with it?

Thanks for the reply on the fast charge. I did it once but after finding that it didn't increase the charge rate I went back to the normal charge rate. I'd love to be able to do 2C at least

Dave,
Will that Bantam allow you to select the charge rate?

God Bless!

Jay
Jay,

The 610C is a good charger, it capable of charging a 5,000 mAh battery at 2C. It is confusing and something you may be over looking. Give TP a shout and have them walk you through it. On my Bantam, you would scroll over to the charge rate, and it will blink, then push the increase or decrease button until you get it where you want. Then hit the start button. I know your's is different. Here's a couple pictures, I am in process right now in charging a 7 cell NiMH battery for the RC Car. You can see one is set at 2.2 amps and the other at 3.0 , just for the example. BTW 3.0 for this battery is 1C.
Dave
Last edited by choppersrule; Jun 27, 2010 at 09:50 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 09:52 PM
ferndale air force
Joined Jul 2006
3,095 Posts
Hi guys. I got the new paddles balanced, got the Heli balanced. And I just looked at the programmed numbers. No expo, low rates at 100%. I am thinking I may have gotten minimal assist from the LHS.

I am thinking 50% expo and 80% for low rates. I wish I had a spare AR6110.

Fern
FERNDALE AIR FOR is offline Find More Posts by FERNDALE AIR FOR
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:03 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FERNDALE AIR FOR View Post
Hi guys. I got the new paddles balanced, got the Heli balanced. And I just looked at the programmed numbers. No expo, low rates at 100%. I am thinking I may have gotten minimal assist from the LHS.

I am thinking 50% expo and 80% for low rates. I wish I had a spare AR6110.

Fern
Fern,

Lol! With the minimal assistance from the LHS.. Mine is pretty close to zero, when it comes to helis. Cars and boats are their area.

As far as expo and rates, that's a very personal setting.. Set it the way you think it should be and adjust as necessary. We all fly differently.

Dave
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:06 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
For the latest round of experiments with the Gaui 500, I dropped the gearing (head speed) down once again. I am currently running a 13T pinion, 60T front main and 20T OWB. This is just one step from the bottom of the available gearing for the Gaui. I also removed the longer Trex 600 flybar and put the stock one back in. I put the KBDD paddles on in the more aggressive position. When I was originally trying to get the flip and roll speed up, I forgot and skipped the more aggressive setting on these paddles in favor of a larger set of KBDD paddles. The idea was that the paddles would be create less drag being on a smaller diameter disk and hopefully reduce battery consumption. My fear was that the flip and roll rate would not be adequate and that the bogging would come back.

Flight impression: I did not measure head speed but I could tell it was slower. It no longer sounded like it was pushing hard to keep the head speed. Instead, that sound was replaced by a nice mechanical hum. Collective response was plenty good and not overly aggressive as it usually is. The flip and roll rate was SLOW!!! It was very manageable though. There was no bogging so that made me happy. I did some more flips and rolls and some FFF. It was flying exceptionally smooth and steady. It felt great. FFF was fast but not too fast. Overall, the only thing I did not like was the flip and roll rate. I tried a FF roll and thought it would never end. LOL.

When I last set up the heli, I ended up adjusting both ELE and AIL for 6 pitch and ended up with -41 on AIL and +50 on ELE. While testing this motor with the much higher head speed, I ended up turning down the cyclic mix 10% get the flip and roll rates where I wanted them. For the second battery today, I put the 10% back in and got a very nice medium speed controlled flip and roll rate. She is flying like a champ now. Most of the second battery was used flipping into inverted, making one or two corrections and then flipping back into right side up.

Both flights were 4 1/2 min and the first used 1625mA and the second 1541mA. I think I will keep the timer set there and take it easier on these poor batteries.