HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 25, 2010, 08:51 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,240 Posts
Hi and thanks,

One question:
Why is the first post from 1Radioflyer, but the signature on the bottom is from BARRRICK?
Are you the same person?

I am addicted to r/c, primarily trucks and helis. I'm also into h.o. & n trains and h.o. slot cars.
Been interested in the hobby since my early teen years.
I have a couple of helis and trucks.
A Belt CP2 and a modified Lama 4. An E Revo BL and a Stampede BL.
My son has a regular Stampede and he loves it
I wanted to get him started early.
I can fly the coax pretty nicely...still learning the cp...hence the training gear.
I also love painting car/ truck bodies and heli canopies...can't get enough of it!

Anyway, I'm glad I found this thread and hope to be of help and learn new things.
Some quick and dirty pics of my "collection".

Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2010, 09:12 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPee View Post
Hello Stamp,

Welcome home, put on your slippers and join in.

I see you have over 1,800 posts here are RC Group, impressive and it appears you have a website and are a pro seller too.

Let us know what you fly and your interests as Jim said. We just sit by the campfire and tell stories about helis, planks, and family here.

JPEE
Yes, I'm addicted to r/c. It's a good thing I'm not a surgeon. I think about r/c waaay too much to concentrate on much else. Good thing I have a "normal" job that allows me to daydream
I woldn't say I'm a "pro" seller. I just believe in decent dealing and good customer service along with very good pricing. I literally don't make profit. I really love the hobby and want to promote it any way I can. I also want poeple to have a place to get "one off" r/c stuff.
See my previous post for some pics and the helis I fly.

Nice to meet all of you.
Jim
Old Mar 25, 2010, 09:22 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
It's real easy to get bitten by the RC bug, isn't it??!! Impressive collection you have going. How old is your son that you just got started or are you like me? I wanted to get into the hobby for a very long time but being a newly wed just couldn't justify it. Well my 1st son (now 11) was born in August so at Christmas time he got his very first trainer, at just 4 months old! A sweet 40 size with a nice new OS 46 LA engine to go with it! I put his name on it and put it under the tree. I just retired it not too long ago. They can never start too early!

Anyway, hang out and have some fun. To answer your question- It was radioflyers' idea to move the thread here from RCU but Barrick did a fine job of writing the intro post. That's why Jay made the post but it was Rick's writing, he has a tremendous way with words.

Jim
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Mar 25, 2010, 09:39 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnuk View Post
It's real easy to get bitten by the RC bug, isn't it??!! Impressive collection you have going. How old is your son that you just got started or are you like me? I wanted to get into the hobby for a very long time but being a newly wed just couldn't justify it. Well my 1st son (now 11) was born in August so at Christmas time he got his very first trainer, at just 4 months old! A sweet 40 size with a nice new OS 46 LA engine to go with it! I put his name on it and put it under the tree. I just retired it not too long ago. They can never start too early!

Anyway, hang out and have some fun. To answer your question- It was radioflyers' idea to move the thread here from RCU but Barrick did a fine job of writing the intro post. That's why Jay made the post but it was Rick's writing, he has a tremendous way with words.

Jim
I was into the hobby when I was a teen. Then I went off to school etc, work, had a son. Now that life is more settled I'm glad I have the time to have this hobby again.
I never imagined it would turn into this kind of monster though. My son will be 11 this year and he has been through his share of toy r/c trucks. I decided he should have a real r/c truck so I told him to save for half of it and I would front the other half as his birthday present last year. He has had the truck for a while and is already looking to get another truck.
Thanks for clearing up the first post for me.
Jim
Old Mar 26, 2010, 05:51 AM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnuk View Post
What made you get rid of the belt CP, too many toys?
Jim
Well the deal with my Belt cp fell thru, so I will keep it buy a rx and go fly it. The Vision is ready for Saturday maiden
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Mar 26, 2010, 07:53 AM
High speed bug smasher
Bradenton, FL
Joined Jan 2007
475 Posts
I like this idea for an open thread.

I'm thinking of trying another 550-600 size heli this year--I will probably move hardware over from a Raptor e620 initially. I'm eyeing the Outrage 550 and even TRex 600. What others should I be considering in that size range? I'm looking for a quality heli that I can use to improve my 3D flying.

Currently, i have a few 5S batteries laying around, but I'm not opposed to flying 6S or 8S or whatever.

Or should I just get that Extreme Flight 78" Extra (I have the 58" now). How's that for throwing a wrench into the decision?

Thanks!
heli_addict is offline Find More Posts by heli_addict
Old Mar 26, 2010, 01:16 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Kyle- too bad the deal fell through. Maybe something else will come along. Good luck with the Vision maiden tomorrow. Try to get video if you can. Did you get your end points for the throttle set this time?

heli addict- welcome to our little corner of cyber space! How do you like th E620? There is talk of a new Trex 700 coming out so maybe you want to look into that too! Decisions, decisions!
Old Mar 26, 2010, 02:55 PM
Iraq
Joined Mar 2010
63 Posts
Hey everyone, saw this and figured I would join in... I just recently got into rc helicopters. Actually right before I left to come to Iraq a buddy of mine had a cheap coaxial he let me fly inside a few times beatin in from wall to wall lol. Then out of pure mishap one of the guys here that I work with bought a coaxial from a local hojie shop and I caught the bug. I bought a falcon 3d (pos imo) and now I have moved up to a trex 450 and soon a guru z as soon as it gets here. It's pretty a hard thing to learn, flying helicopters that is, a little bit harder out here. Don't get much practice time and when you crash its a 10day wait minimum for even a screw that stripped out to come in lol. I had a lot of experience with rc cars (nitro rustler all sorts of modded out, a nitro 4tec, nitro funny car, and a nitro slayer). I thought that would help me out with heli's. Boy was I wrong lol. I have the utmost respect for you guys out there flying, let alone doing 3d tricks. I'm hoping by the time I get back to the states I can hover and fly in a circle at least lol. Then I might try and do some 3d, at least then if I crash its just a short drive to the hobby shop to get some parts and laughs in. Seems like every time I go to a hobby shop I have a large pile of twisted metal in my hands, which really gets the hobby shop guys in a laughing mood.
Well anyway. Thanks to everyone on the site who's here willing to help out noobs like me.

Josh
outcrydrummer is offline Find More Posts by outcrydrummer
Old Mar 26, 2010, 03:54 PM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outcrydrummer View Post
Hey everyone, saw this and figured I would join in... I just recently got into rc helicopters. Actually right before I left to come to Iraq a buddy of mine had a cheap coaxial he let me fly inside a few times beatin in from wall to wall lol. Then out of pure mishap one of the guys here that I work with bought a coaxial from a local hojie shop and I caught the bug. I bought a falcon 3d (pos imo) and now I have moved up to a trex 450 and soon a guru z as soon as it gets here. It's pretty a hard thing to learn, flying helicopters that is, a little bit harder out here. Don't get much practice time and when you crash its a 10day wait minimum for even a screw that stripped out to come in lol. I had a lot of experience with rc cars (nitro rustler all sorts of modded out, a nitro 4tec, nitro funny car, and a nitro slayer). I thought that would help me out with heli's. Boy was I wrong lol. I have the utmost respect for you guys out there flying, let alone doing 3d tricks. I'm hoping by the time I get back to the states I can hover and fly in a circle at least lol. Then I might try and do some 3d, at least then if I crash its just a short drive to the hobby shop to get some parts and laughs in. Seems like every time I go to a hobby shop I have a large pile of twisted metal in my hands, which really gets the hobby shop guys in a laughing mood.
Well anyway. Thanks to everyone on the site who's here willing to help out noobs like me.

Josh
Josh

Welcome to our group! I wish I had heli's when I was in the desert(I probably wouldnt have had time tho) Get a sim for down time to improve your skills, for parts buy bulk again less down time.

heli addict

Welcome! I know a guy sponsored by Outrage he flys a Velocity 50 they are very good, as far as big electrics they others will let you know whats good or not.

Kyle
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Mar 26, 2010, 04:10 PM
Iraq
Joined Mar 2010
63 Posts
I have the realflight g4, its a bootleg version though lol. I cant get my dx6i to work with it. I have a 4 channel flight sim tx but its so bad that I cant ever get the heli's on the sim to trim right. So after a few tries I get tired of it. The heli is so bad out of trim if i let it hover without input it takes about 3 seconds for the heli to barrel all crazy to the ground. If anyone has some settings for a dx6i for realflight it would be much appreciated

Yeah I'm pretty lucky about my downtime here. I'm deployed with SOTF central so when I'm not on mission I dont get messed with, pretty much do what I want when I'm not out there at it
outcrydrummer is offline Find More Posts by outcrydrummer
Old Mar 26, 2010, 04:25 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Josh- Glad you joined us here and THANK YOU for your service! Heli's are different to learn but not impossible, just keep at it best you can. A coax is actually good for learning orientation so if you still have it keep flying it. Welcome aboard and stay safe over there.

Jim
Old Mar 26, 2010, 08:12 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Quick Question

I just contacted HH about the cracks in the motor of my BF 109. I thought I read where you need an RMA number from them to send it back. The rep on the phone said that wasn't needed, just send it to them and he gave me the address. Is that the norm or should I maybe try again and hope for a different rep?

Jim
Old Mar 26, 2010, 08:19 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Wnuk, in my experience, just send it in and they will take care of it. They keep a computer record of you requesting service and have it listed as "expected" to come in. I called once about an issue and they mentioned that I never sent in an RX I had called about.

They are just that good.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Mar 26, 2010, 08:26 PM
Luvin' Life
United States, MI, Portage
Joined Apr 2007
2,867 Posts
Hey All,

Long day for me and my brain is shot 10 hours of drywall hanging will make you lose your mind.... at least that's the excuse I'm using

It's so great to see some new "faces" joining in on the conversation!

You may have noticed I'm a bit of a nut. Don't trust anything I post about helis I may not even read your name correctly, I'm still trying to figure that one out, sorry Vic When it comes to 3D electric planes... I'm all thumbs, in a good way.

I hope everyone has a relaxing weekend with great flying weather.

Blessings,

Jay
1Radioflyer is offline Find More Posts by 1Radioflyer
Old Mar 26, 2010, 09:10 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
Wnuk, in my experience, just send it in and they will take care of it. They keep a computer record of you requesting service and have it listed as "expected" to come in. I called once about an issue and they mentioned that I never sent in an RX I had called about.

They are just that good.
Thanks for that. Will likely send it in on Monday. Funy thing is they never asked for my name or phone number. Just to send it in with my return address & phone number.

Jay- get some rest and be ready to hang more tomorrow. I hear JPEE is stiil looking for someone to work on his renovation