SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 08, 2010, 04:59 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Dave- That Rustler looked amazing in the video! Think you can handle it?

Jim
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2010, 06:18 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
Jim,

Can I handle it? Absolutely NOT. Just like my first heli, parts everywhere.
The nice thing about the TX though, is that it's programmable. I'll be in training mode for sometime, I'm sure. LOL! A clip from the manual.
================================================== ====
Profile Description
Profile #1 (Sport Mode): 100% Forward, 100% Brakes, 100% Reverse
Profile #2 (Race Mode): 100% Forward, 100% Brakes, No Reverse
Profile #3 (Training Mode): 50% Forward, 100% Brakes, 50% Reverse
================================================== =====

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnuk View Post
Dave- That Rustler looked amazing in the video! Think you can handle it?

Jim
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old Jun 08, 2010, 07:03 PM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,210 Posts
Well I received my new RX's today. Remember those were the cheap ar6100e's from China, well tested them out, they binded up just like normal, range tests will be later as its raining here. I might pick up afew more
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Jun 08, 2010, 07:29 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
Kyle,
Sounds like a good game plan, it never hurts to have spares for sure.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracus View Post
Well I received my new RX's today. Remember those were the cheap ar6100e's from China, well tested them out, they binded up just like normal, range tests will be later as its raining here. I might pick up afew more
Old Jun 08, 2010, 07:39 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracus View Post
Kyle- looking forward to a good review from you about them. For the price they are amazing!

Jim
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Jun 08, 2010, 07:50 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
Rustler VXL question

Stamp and/or Real,

Quick question here. See attached speed chart.

Can I use a 3S 2,200 mAh lipo battery, without upgrading to the 31/76 pinion and spur gears? I'm not looking for the speed at this time. Just wondering if the lipo would harm the system, I'm thinking NOT. I know run time would be effected, but I have several of the lipos.

http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...peed_chart.jpg

Thanks,
Dave
Old Jun 08, 2010, 08:32 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
In parallel with two packs for 3s 4400 you should be fine.. your only looking at around 66 amps or so continuous give or take depending the packs c rating if you only use a single 3s 2200 pack.. ive never tryed it so cant say from experience but the amp draw would probally kill the pack using a single 3s 2200 in 1/10 scale rc car. But the proper gearing is important as well when running higher cell counts.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2010, 09:05 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
Real,

I hear you loud and clear on the gearing with higher cell counts. I totally understand, I guess I was just trying to cut corners, when I really shouldn't.

What do you think about a 2S lipo 7.4 volt 20C at 5,000 mAh? Hobby King has those dirt cheap. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._hardcase_pack

Remember I'm the noobie on this, again, not looking for speed right now. Edited: My 3S packs are 2,200 mAh at 25C.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
In parallel with two packs for 3s 4400 you should be fine.. your only looking at around 66 amps or so continuous give or take depending the packs c rating if you only use a single 3s 2200 pack.. ive never tryed it so cant say from experience but the amp draw would probally kill the pack using a single 3s 2200 in 1/10 scale rc car. But the proper gearing is important as well when running higher cell counts.
Old Jun 08, 2010, 09:09 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Dont want to get things to complicated but there are other things to consider that some dont realize.. it goes without saying and most electric rc pilots are use to this. Check temps during initial runs.. even with the suggested set up and cell count for the stock gearing,the hotter the ambient temps the hotter the motor,esc,and lipo will be after a run. Just like collective management and throttle management on planes the cars run time and amp draw can be harder or easier on the power system and run times will vary with throttle usage and driving style and so will heat. Give the truck a rest between runs to cool the power system if youve run it hard and its kind of hot. Average run time is usually around 15-20 minutes with average driving or racing with the larger capacity pack.. 5000 mah plus with the more mild motors in a truck like the rustler vxl. I usually run for around 10 minutes or so and give the cars a rest. If the car seems sluggish or not making as much power bring it in.. check temps,when a car has been run without maintenance dirt and dust in bearings can really tax the power system with added rolling resistance and heat things up.. some overlook this and think its gearing problems but when there is some binding in the drivetrain the motor notices it and its time to clean the trans and wheel bearings and check for any binding or warn clutch pads in the slipper.. a slipper that is to loose will heat things up a lot and draw a lot of amps.. having it to tight can increase wear and also strip gears in the drive train.. the slippers purpose is to give enough slip to protect the drive train during hard acceleration and to prevent the gears from stripping if something binds the wheels up as you try to give it throttle and it helps keep the tires planted with a little less wheel spin on take off or powering out of corners. Rc cars are pretty durable but set up and maintenance go a long way to prevent damage.. just like pre flights and checking helis over for wear or loose parts in the head. Out of the box with a 2s lipo you should be fine but as you run cars more youll probally encounter some things,the slipper will probally need to be checked after the first run or so as the pads break in.. its common for the slipper to be a little looser then when it was first ran and need to be tightened slightly. Other than that your first few runs with it should be maintenance free for a while but the better you take care of it and give it minor inspections in common areas the chance of a loose slipper or a bearing binding from dirt in it or anything else will go a long way for trouble free running with the cars.. if you hit a curb doing 60+ on 3 cells well thats a different story .
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2010, 09:26 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
If you parallel your current 3s packs to make 3s 4400 capacity you double the amp rating and that should be fine with the suggested 3s gearing. On the packs on hk,i havent used the 2s turnigy hardcase packs..i have the 4s 4500 30c ones and the cells are a little loose in the case and ive had 2 fail from the cells connections coming loose inside.. either the tabs or the solder and i havent been getting big air with the truggy with those packs either.. mild small jumps and no dead stops or impacts at high speed into brick walls or anything. The softcase zippy 4s 25c 5000 mah packs have worked well since last year.. and they have some dents from big airs and hard landings or hard nose impacts from big jumps. You could try the turnigy 2s hardcase packs and just get a couple packs.. the turnigy car 30c packs made really good power and the price was nice but reliability wasnt so good for me.. maybe i got some bad ones. I cut the case open and they do still work if you wiggle the cells around until they get good contact again between cells but im not to keen on trying to resolder them and possibly short the pack out around the tight area between the cells and the board on them. This was the day i had the second one go.. the first one went less then a few minutes into the run at the local shop when i landed off a very small ramp that was set up in the parking lot.. maybe a 2-3 foot high air with flat landing then dead truck with no power control.

Associated RC8T-E Gravel Running (1 min 44 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 08, 2010, 09:38 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
Rustler

Real,

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all the information you just posted. Tremendous help and now I'm understanding the big picture. I have already printed it out, for future reference.

The guys here, know I'm a nutcase when it comes to preventive maintenace and set-up. I do have a heat gauge and use it all the time. I enjoy the maintenance on the helis as much as I do flying, and I'm sure it will be the same with the RC Cars without question.

One more question for the night and I'll leave you alone. At least for now.

On the slipper, how do you know when it's to tight or to loose?

I can see the potential for wearing out the slipper or braking gears.

You've been a ton of help for the noobie here.

Thanks again,

Dave
Old Jun 08, 2010, 09:44 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post
Real,

I hear you loud and clear on the gearing with higher cell counts. I totally understand, I guess I was just trying to cut corners, when I really shouldn't.

What do you think about a 2S lipo 7.4 volt 20C at 5,000 mAh? Hobby King has those dirt cheap. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store..._hardcase_pack

Remember I'm the noobie on this, again, not looking for speed right now. Edited: My 3S packs are 2,200 mAh at 25C.

Dave
I ran a 3S 2450mah 20c pack. It ran well. No puffing etc.
Leave it on training mode since you don't want speed etc-you'll save the battery and probably get 25 min runs (it's still pretty fast on 50%). Faster than a non VXL model.
Did you get a Rustler or Stampede?
The driving profiles are controlled via the speed control. It's a very simple setup but it's pretty tough and fast.
Keep in mind that if the battery falls below the default lipo cutoff for a split second the cutoff will kick in.
I hear a lot of guys that say the cutoff kicks in too early. That may be the case but if the battery is not up to the task...that's what happens.
If you use a higher capacity battery the cutoff kicks in at the right time (about 3.1v).

Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Last edited by Stamp; Jun 08, 2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2010, 09:53 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
No prob Dave,i try and help if i can. Opinions will vary on what i say,i think i give pretty solid feedback though based on my own experience but there may be better advice out there,just passing on what ive learned. The manual for the truck will probally have slipper info for adjustment procedures.. it should be fairly close out of the box and only need minor adjustment after a run or two though. I put the car down on a high traction surface.. living room rug. Launch the car and see how far it slips.. youll hear the the motor whine a bit as the slipper slips and then finally lock and stop slipping. I set the slipper so on the rug it will slip for about 2 feet,once i know it slips enough to prevent shredding gears and have to much wheel spin from a holeshot i hold the wheels and give it throttle to make sure if the wheels get locked with a stick or larger gravel in them its not gonna strip the gears but thats just me.. setting the slipper so it slips for a couple feet on the rug is fine. On cement or dirt it will have less traction so the wheels will spin rather then put stress on the drivetrain during hard launches from a stop. Everyone has there own methods that work for them,the manual will have what ever method for adjusting the slipper and how far it should slip for by traxxas but its probally similar to what i do but do it how they suggest.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Get Real; Jun 08, 2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2010, 10:53 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
Rustler VXL

Real,

Great video on the Gravel Running, that is one I watched seveal times.
I understand you on the slipper adjustments and your procedure. I will totally read the manual from start to finish for sure. Great options on the ESC and TX, it gives you a lot of options to choose from and that's what I really like about the Rustler VXL.. Thanks.

Stamp,

Thanks for droppin' in, I knew you would. I purchased the Rustler VXL, from Ultimate Hobbies for $304 and free shipping.

The cut-off / LVC for the lipos I really like, even if it's early shut down.
I downloaded the manual and read it through, I'm really impressed with all the options and features. I'll read it again, when it arrives.

When you mentioned the 3S lipo, what pinion and spur gear were you running?

Heading to bed.

Thanks again, Real and Stamp,
Dave
Old Jun 08, 2010, 11:16 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Stock spur and pinion till I switched to bigger tires/wheels. Even then the final ratio was very close to stock.
Imo it's a much nicer driving experience to set the throttle trigger to the 70/30 setting and reprogram the esc endpoints to your liking.

Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp