HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 05, 2010, 02:58 PM
Oops!
United States, CO, Florence
Joined Apr 2010
374 Posts
Hey dave

Have you thought about an MSR instead of a 4 wheeler, or do you already have one?
beevous80002 is offline Find More Posts by beevous80002
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 05, 2010, 03:14 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Dave, Icepick showed up today. Shanked me with the hex driver and left. After I pulled it out of my stomach, I tested it out in the E-Razor and it is exactly what I needed.

Thanks for having him "deliver" it.

I am going to get an Xheli order together for the stuff I need and get it airborne again.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Jun 05, 2010, 03:39 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Well, besides the main gear, The feathering shaft is bent. The mixing arm was expanded out where the ball screws in but I was able to massage the hole back down and the ball screws in fine now. Tail hub is is stripped where the grub screw goes in to hold it to the tail shaft. I might just tap that out larger and put a bigger grub screw in.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old Jun 05, 2010, 03:43 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
Lee,
Thanks for the insight, it's bad weather today, so I'll be snooping around the web sites. I went to the web site you posted on the Tank Teaser. Wow is all I can say. Brice said he had about $12k in machine hours and he posted cost of engine, etc. That was around $5,500. I liked the Hobbytown demo too, those guys were having a good time in the parking lot.

On the MSR, over the years, I've had pretty much one of everything. mCX, CX, CP, CPPro, Raptor G2, Faclon 3D, Trex 450, Trex 500, Trex 600, Blade 400, HK450Pro, Legend 450, Lama V4, HBK2, HBK3, EXI 450 and some others that slip my mind. Lol! Guess what I'm saying is nope, not going for another heli.

Currently I have a HBK2, HK450Pro TT and a Trex 500 ESP TT. Just looking for a new challenge and something to keep me busy on windy days. I'm pretty much a fair weather flyer.

Sorry to hear about 2 mishaps in 24 hours, that sucks for sure, but sounds like you've had a good long time with the Raptor and the CP Pros are usually pretty inexpensive to rebuild.

I'm off to go shoppin' now.

Jim/Stamp,

That's great, you can see how happy your son is with that big azz smile he has on his face. Good for you too.

Pretty close on the boxes, LMAO! I've got more than that in a closet in the man cave. A hoarder no, a pack rat yes.
choppersrule is online now Find More Posts by choppersrule
Last edited by choppersrule; Jun 05, 2010 at 03:52 PM.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 03:51 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
Ivan,

Icepick showed up quicker than I thought, that's good though. I'll talk to him about shanking you, you're not on his list. He was way out of line doing that.

Looks like there was more damage than on the initial report. I could swear there was an extra set of blades in the box.

Off looking at cars for awhile,
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
Dave, Icepick showed up today. Shanked me with the hex driver and left. After I pulled it out of my stomach, I tested it out in the E-Razor and it is exactly what I needed.

Thanks for having him "deliver" it.

I am going to get an Xheli order together for the stuff I need and get it airborne again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9sec240 View Post
Well, besides the main gear, The feathering shaft is bent. The mixing arm was expanded out where the ball screws in but I was able to massage the hole back down and the ball screws in fine now. Tail hub is is stripped where the grub screw goes in to hold it to the tail shaft. I might just tap that out larger and put a bigger grub screw in.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 04:19 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choppersrule View Post

Jim/Stamp,

That's great, you can see how happy your son is with that big azz smile he has on his face. Good for you too.

Pretty close on the boxes, LMAO! I've got more than that in a closet in the man cave. A hoarder no, a pack rat yes.
I'm no hoarder either. I just keep boxes for shipping
I have more photos too but didn't want to go crazy lol.
As far as your truck question:
I know this sounds biased but my choice would be a Stampede VXL for bashing. It handles a lot of abuse and has great ground clearance. Traxxas has good customer support as well. If your option is 4wd then an E Maxx or E Revo. The brushless options for the last two would go over your dollar range though. Poeple generally think that 4wd is the way to go etc. Actually, I prefer 2wd for bashing. Don't know why but with 2wd you have less maint and downtime etc. Just my opinion.
Let us know what you decide
Jim
Stamp is offline Find More Posts by Stamp
Old Jun 05, 2010, 06:36 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
RC Car

Hi Guys,

Here's what I think I'm gonna get, Stamp made me do it.

I spent alot of time looking around and decided that the options on the Stampede VXL gives me/anyone time to grow. Out of the box it's 30+ MPH and with included gearing it's 40+ MPH. See attached speed chart. With optional gearing and Lipo batteries it's capable of 65+ MPH. Double YIKES.

Plus the TX is programmable with expo setting for throttle, steering and braking, plus dual rates. More crap I've gotta learn.

It's 2WD, and I like Jim's/Stamps logic on less down time and maintenance.
And it's right in my price range too. Ultimate Hobbies has 'em for $314. I have a Hobbytown USA about 4 miles down the road. I'll check with them tomorrow. If they can match the price, I could have it tomorrow. If not, I'll order it and have it in 5 working days or so. No biggie there.

Of course I'll be at skill level 1 or less. LMFAO!

Any comments, either Plus or Minus on this purchase is always welcome.

Ultimate Hobbies: http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar...d=TRA3607!1008

Traxxas Site and description: http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...ampede3607.htm

Speed Chart: http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...peed_chart.jpg

Dave
Old Jun 05, 2010, 07:06 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
5,036 Posts
Stampede vxl..

Pros.. uses single lipo,brushless power included, popular brand with back up parts locally available,a lot of parts interchangeability with other traxxas cars and lots of after market parts out there if you do break stock parts.. rpm has life time warranty for there upgrade suspension arms etc. Decent truck to start with and has the big bouncy tires to absorb flips and bad landings from jumps.

Cons,not the best handling,high center of gravity and big bouncy tires means it will bounce around quite a bit and roll overs are common at high speeds and off jumps and when turning.. but they can be fun to watch.

On the flip side if you enjoy rc cars you can swap the brushless system into a better handling more capable chassis in the future. Looks and the type of terrain and the kind of driving have a lot to do with rc cars.. off road cars are usually the best and most versatile,onroad cars are wicked quick and have good top speed but your limited to parking lots and smooth areas,monster trucks are cool but bounce around a lot and dont handle well at higher speeds,4wd 1/8th scale buggies handle well and go FAST but get a bit pricey to start with,1/8th truggies rock.. bigger,fast,jump well and take big jumps well and land softer and are easier to drive for most then buggies.. especially on really rough terrain.

The stampede vxl should be fun and isnt to pricey to get your feet wet with for rc cars. You can gear it up and lower it a little and run stadium truck rims and tires for better handling in the future.. would look a bit more like a rustler then and not bounce or flip as easy at higher speeds.
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2010, 08:20 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
Lee,

Thanks so much for your input here. It got me thinking, YIKES!
I didn't like the bouncing and flipping part you mentioned about the Stampede. This is exactly the feed back I need.

How about the Traxxas Rustler VXL or XL-5?

I've read a couple threads that the XL-5 has motor issues.

I'm leaning toward the Rustler VXL, I like the versatility of having a Lipo pack in it without modifiction.

VXL :http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...ustler3707.htm

XL-5: http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...ustler3705.htm

Thanks again,
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
Stampede vxl..

Pros.. uses single lipo,brushless power included, popular brand with back up parts locally available,a lot of parts interchangeability with other traxxas cars and lots of after market parts out there if you do break stock parts.. rpm has life time warranty for there upgrade suspension arms etc. Decent truck to start with and has the big bouncy tires to absorb flips and bad landings from jumps.

Cons,not the best handling,high center of gravity and big bouncy tires means it will bounce around quite a bit and roll overs are common at high speeds and off jumps and when turning.. but they can be fun to watch.

On the flip side if you enjoy rc cars you can swap the brushless system into a better handling more capable chassis in the future. Looks and the type of terrain and the kind of driving have a lot to do with rc cars.. off road cars are usually the best and most versatile,onroad cars are wicked quick and have good top speed but your limited to parking lots and smooth areas,monster trucks are cool but bounce around a lot and dont handle well at higher speeds,4wd 1/8th scale buggies handle well and go FAST but get a bit pricey to start with,1/8th truggies rock.. bigger,fast,jump well and take big jumps well and land softer and are easier to drive for most then buggies.. especially on really rough terrain.

The stampede vxl should be fun and isnt to pricey to get your feet wet with for rc cars. You can gear it up and lower it a little and run stadium truck rims and tires for better handling in the future.. would look a bit more like a rustler then and not bounce or flip as easy at higher speeds.
Old Jun 05, 2010, 09:18 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Stamp- Looks like we got us a series again! Tomorrow night should be a blast to watch.

Dave- You are moving on the truck faster than you let on. Whatever you choose I know you'll have fun with it.

Hi to everyone else!

Jim
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old Jun 05, 2010, 09:24 PM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnuk View Post
Stamp- Looks like we got us a series again! Tomorrow night should be a blast to watch.

Dave- You are moving on the truck faster than you let on. Whatever you choose I know you'll have fun with it.

Hi to everyone else!

Jim
Hey
Oracus is offline Find More Posts by Oracus
Old Jun 05, 2010, 09:26 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnuk View Post

Hi to everyone else!

Jim
OMG talk about stress!!!
Good luck to your guys but I really want the Hawks to win of course.
Jim
Old Jun 05, 2010, 09:32 PM
Visit My Blog
Outskirts of Chicago
Joined Nov 2008
4,244 Posts
Dave,
Congrats.
Keep in mind it's not indestructible. Don't go jumpin' curbs etc.
Take it easy on the throttle...seriously.
Get yourself a Traxxas wheelie bar...not kidding.
Optional...an RPM bumper.
Jim
Old Jun 05, 2010, 10:09 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
Stamp,

Thanks for the heads up on the wheelie bar and RPM bumper.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp View Post
Dave,
Congrats.
Keep in mind it's not indestructible. Don't go jumpin' curbs etc.
Take it easy on the throttle...seriously.
Get yourself a Traxxas wheelie bar...not kidding.
Optional...an RPM bumper.
Jim
Old Jun 05, 2010, 10:11 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,008 Posts
Wnuk and Stamp,

Here we go again, more Sports Crap. LMFAO!

Sincerely,

Dave