HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2010, 10:16 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
HeliDirect has had an advertisement cycling on their main page touting the Stealth CF blades. The ad says "The best $20 430mm carbon fiber main blade". I just happen to be in the need of a set of blades in that size and am always willing to evaluate someones "claims". The advertisement must have been working because they were out of stock every time I had been ready to place an order. Well, Sunday I checked the site and found the blades in stock and a sweet 10% off Mothers Day sale going on to boot. I tossed a set of the blades and a Quark gyro in my cart and quickly checked out.

As usual, HeliDirect kept me abreast of the progress of my order over emails. It was shipped Monday and and my package arrived this morning. HeliDirect is AWESOME.... Time to check out these blades!!!

The blades were packaged in a thin plastic bag with a plastic "cling" on each end protecting the blades from scratching each other. While the packaging left a bit to be desired, the blades arrived undamaged so who am I to complain?

I removed the blades from the packaging and was quite impressed. The blades are unpainted anywhere. No black airbrushed edges to hide shoddy CF work.... just beautifully laid CF, smooth finish, no flashing to speak of.... just a quality looking blade.

First thing I did was pop them on the scale to see how close they are in weight. HOLY CRAP!!! only off by a HUNDREDTH of a gram (.01g). This can't be right. I weighed them again with the same results. Well, how about CG then? I put a match mark on the blades and then mark CG on each blade. When I lined up the match marks, the CG marks ended up within 1/16". Un-freakin-believable!!

The weight lands them right in the middle of my Align 425Ds and Radix 430s. 61.22g for the Stealth (despite an advertised weight of 50.5g), 65.89g for the Radix and 54.42 for the Align.

CG distance from hole is 8.5" on the Stealth which is really close to the 8.625 on the Align but just over an inch further out than the Radix. Although the Radix weigh the most, they carry the weigh further inboard.

They pass all the visual and weight tests... I need to get them on a bird and in the air for my final verdict.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2010, 05:45 AM
I meant to do that!
United States, IN, West Terre Haute
Joined Apr 2007
1,203 Posts
Ivan

looks like a good deal so far, let us know the results.

I had ordered a new set of Protek CF 600mm blades last week from Amainhobbies. When they arrived on Friday there was a nice sized chip on the leading edge about 3in from the tip
Oracus is online now Find More Posts by Oracus
Old May 13, 2010, 06:59 PM
Got Helis
United States, IN, Greenwood
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx.1677 View Post
Hey Dave,

When I had my 500 it came with the newer GP780 gyro which seemed be really sensitive. As such I had to move the gyro onto the bottom tray. It was rock solid after that but it's also easier as you don't have to remove the gyro if you need to get to those pesky front TT gears. The spartan gyro's do seem awesome though. I hate the newer GP780, really bad gyro that has a lot of issues. The older GP750 is much more reliable. Anyway, I'm ramling!
Dan,

Sometimes ramling on is a good thing. You've shared some of your experiences with different gyros.. Always good information to have in the archives.

Dave
choppersrule is offline Find More Posts by choppersrule
Old May 13, 2010, 07:01 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPee View Post
Hi Guys,

Well I just finished the Align 450 Pro clone from TT gear replacement and what a freaking job. You have to tear half of the heli apart (15 screws & 4 wire zip ties) to take out the entire TT front gear box. You also have to pull two screws out of the servo tray and tip it down so you can pop off the servo tail rod.

CLONES: you have heard me complain and tell you what problems I have had. What I forgot to mention right now was, the ends came unglued from the both of the boom struts from the minor hard landing. I glued them and they will be ok. In my mind, another cheap-out in a clone. I also replaced the main gears and one way as the slop from day one was horrible! The lower gear wobbled so bad it rubbed the frame! So now I have a HK with Align tail servo, ESC, main blade grips, TT bearings and carrier, main gears. Oh boy was this a good deal LMAO.

Wheeew, it must beer-thirty somewhere...............if I only was a drinking man.

Did a pack for a hover to check her and she looks and flies done. Now I am set for the weekend.

JPEE
Quickly John, on the above, in a word "Dittos". Only difference, is that I do honor "Beer-Thirty". Lol!

Dave
Old May 13, 2010, 07:06 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Ivan,

Thanks for the info on the Stealth blades, looks intriguing for sure. I went to Helidirect and they are out of stock... Guess I'll hang loose, and scoop up a set or two for the T500 and the 450 when available. Good find... I keep forgetting about Helidirect. Great price too.

Dave
Old May 13, 2010, 07:26 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Ivan- Sounds like you did real well with those blades. Glad it worked out for ya.

JPEE_ I'mwith ya 100% on clones. In the long run, they end up costing just as much as the real McCoy would have.

Dave- Did you visit that house you posted about yet?

Kyle- Did you get the Vision airborne again?

As for me, had a great B-day and thanks again for the well wishes.

Took the BF109 for an early morning sortie today before work. More touch and goes for the most part. Throughout the day, I recharged the batteries and hit the field again on the way home from work. On the second flight as I set up for landing, I got her too slow and stalled it while turning onto final about 8 feet above the ground. The wing survived in tact but the fuse broke in two paces, both in front of and behind the wing saddle. This was the 31st battery pack through it and I lost count of how many TO/Landings she has.

Broke the Gorilla Glue out and pieced it back together. Will let it dry overnight and check it in the AM. I'm thinking it will survive but a new fuse may be in order soon. Sorry no pics- got right to work on it and forgot. May be awhile before its airborne again as the weather and lack of time may slow me down. Maybe early on Saturday if I get up with the sun

Jim
Wnuk is offline Find More Posts by Wnuk
Old May 13, 2010, 07:29 PM
I meant to do that!
Joined Apr 2007
1,203 Posts
BEER! We have a local grocery store that has a wall of beer, all different kinds imports, domestics. This is one of the ones my wife brought home yesterday
Old May 13, 2010, 07:34 PM
Advanced Heli Collector
USA, IL, Carol Stream
Joined Jan 2009
2,044 Posts
Infinity Hobby FTW!!

I placed an order with Infinity Hobby on Sunday for some parts for the Gaui 425 and they arrived today!!! $14 to get parts from them in China to me in FOUR DAYS!!!

Got a 60T front main and a 20T one way to drop the head speed down a bit, the L-35 and L-45 links that broke on me, a package of regular ball links to replace some that are a bit loose, a blade holder that I have really needed, and am most excited about the new G10 fin set to replace the ugly white plastic ones.
9sec240 is offline Find More Posts by 9sec240
Old May 13, 2010, 07:42 PM
I meant to do that!
Joined Apr 2007
1,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wnuk View Post
Ivan- Sounds like you did real well with those blades. Glad it worked out for ya.

JPEE_ I'mwith ya 100% on clones. In the long run, they end up costing just as much as the real McCoy would have.

Dave- Did you visit that house you posted about yet?

Kyle- Did you get the Vision airborne again?

As for me, had a great B-day and thanks again for the well wishes.

Took the BF109 for an early morning sortie today before work. More touch and goes for the most part. Throughout the day, I recharged the batteries and hit the field again on the way home from work. On the second flight as I set up for landing, I got her too slow and stalled it while turning onto final about 8 feet above the ground. The wing survived in tact but the fuse broke in two paces, both in front of and behind the wing saddle. This was the 31st battery pack through it and I lost count of how many TO/Landings she has.

Broke the Gorilla Glue out and pieced it back together. Will let it dry overnight and check it in the AM. I'm thinking it will survive but a new fuse may be in order soon. Sorry no pics- got right to work on it and forgot. May be awhile before its airborne again as the weather and lack of time may slow me down. Maybe early on Saturday if I get up with the sun

Jim
After relining the clutch i hovered it to check it out something wasn't right so i quickly put it down. one of the blade grip bolts was coming loose I also needed to trim down the clutch some more. I'll get it out this weekend hopefully. I got my EXI back together and found a bent tail rotor shaft so i said no big deal I got more i had 4 shafts and all were bent. Oh well Ill order some more soon.
Old May 13, 2010, 07:54 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracus View Post
BEER! We have a local grocery store that has a wall of beer, all different kinds imports, domestics. This is one of the ones my wife brought home yesterday

Would love to try that beverage! Just the bottle says "I'm Manly"!

Sounds like lots of us are down for repairs at the moment. A loose blade grip bolt is a very bad thng, lucky you had the common sense to look for a problem instead of continuing flying

Ivan- I always pay for expedited shipping from overseas. Costs about the same as UPS (when shipping in the states) and gets here faster
Old May 13, 2010, 08:06 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Jim/Wnuk,

Glad ya had a great birthday, they seem to come quicker each year.
To bad about the fuse getting mangled, but the old Gorilla glue works wonders, you'll be up and running in the AM.
The house Liz and I were thinking about, is a NO GO. We checked all the Stats. on the town and decided to keep checking around, we aren't in a hurry, but 1 or 2 years it'll be a done deal. The town is only like 4 or 5 blocks long.. Not much there. 3 resturants and such.

Ivan,

Unbelievable shipping time... You sure have been scooping up the parts here lately.

Kyle,

BEER: I'm an old German/Hungarian guy, I buy the cheap stuff and drink it at room temperature...LMAO! But true.

Great find on the blade grip bolts coming loose, that could have been a disaster for sure and a big safety concern too.

Well, I'm gonna go have one of those cheap beers, throw in a movie and head to bed.

Blessings to all, and to all a good night,

Dave
Old May 13, 2010, 11:19 PM
My dog is PERFECT in my eyes
Joined Mar 2010
3,435 Posts
Yall been busy.....me too. Working on the EXI-450 Pro Carbon shaft driven tail helicopter. I'll be installing it in that 206 fuse. Today I finished installing the Turnigy lighting system in the 206 fuselage. A lot of work installing all those lights, bundle the wires and dress so they don't get hooked on the heli whil installing it. So...been busy with that and still waiting for a radio system that will hopefully clear up the glitching probs I've been having. Flew my Uproar .40 tonight. The wind about dropped to zero, but the skies were GLOOMY, and I found out why. When I was flying the plane, it disappeared a couple times in cloud cover...the ceiling was pretty LOW (150ft?). All the years I've been flying planks, I NEVER put a plane out of sight incloud cover...that was a first. When it disappeared...down elevator brought it back to visual...a foggy visual just after it appears. So...I had a BALL doing that. Only flew one flight...might not get to fly again for 3-5 days with the wind forecast.
metalbenderusn is offline Find More Posts by metalbenderusn
Old May 14, 2010, 07:43 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbenderusn View Post
Yall been busy.....me too. Working on the EXI-450 Pro Carbon shaft driven tail helicopter. I'll be installing it in that 206 fuse. Today I finished installing the Turnigy lighting system in the 206 fuselage. A lot of work installing all those lights, bundle the wires and dress so they don't get hooked on the heli whil installing it. So...been busy with that and still waiting for a radio system that will hopefully clear up the glitching probs I've been having. Flew my Uproar .40 tonight. The wind about dropped to zero, but the skies were GLOOMY, and I found out why. When I was flying the plane, it disappeared a couple times in cloud cover...the ceiling was pretty LOW (150ft?). All the years I've been flying planks, I NEVER put a plane out of sight incloud cover...that was a first. When it disappeared...down elevator brought it back to visual...a foggy visual just after it appears. So...I had a BALL doing that. Only flew one flight...might not get to fly again for 3-5 days with the wind forecast.
Vic,

YIKES! On loosing the Uproar in the cloud cover, I'm sure I would have paniced for sure, at least wet the Depends. Never leave home without 'em. Get some pictures of the lighting if ya can, we love the pictures ya know.

Bobs,

I did get the 500 and 600 up and going today, nothing to brag on. Wind was up a tad, so I just did some hovering and orientation practice in the back 40.
Didn't feel like heading to the Aldis field today. The OLD left leg has been cramping up on me the last couple days. YIKES!

Dave
Old May 14, 2010, 08:02 PM
Got Helis
Joined Mar 2010
4,006 Posts
Tip of the Day

Tip of the Day

If you purchase a Trex 450 Pro, EXI 450 Pro or a HK 450 Pro, the build is a little bit backwards than others(all have the same main frame).

You need to install the servos, install the servo horns, servo balls, and get them at 90 degrees, BEFORE you build the main frame. If you don't you're asking for some real headaches, and maybe a couple of beers to help the pain. If you ever have a problem with a cyclic servo, you almost have to disassemble the whole heli. YIKES almighty, more beer.

See attached photograph and pay special attention to the elevator servo.
It is mounted to the inside of the main shaft holder(thingie), and attention to the placement of the ball on that servo.

Hicup, Hicup, Hicup..... Darn beers... Need some Cheese Balls.

Dave
Last edited by choppersrule; May 14, 2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old May 14, 2010, 08:39 PM
That looks about right!
Hunlock Creek, PA
Joined Jan 2010
1,227 Posts
Cheese Balls and Beer! Sounds like the perfect diet! LMAO!

Good tip of the Day also!

The BF 109 is back together and it looks OK and feels strong enough. Only a remaiden will tell. That won't happen till Monday AM at the earliest.

Vic- keep it out fo the fog, will ya?! LMAO! Had that happen before and it scared the daylights out of me. Keep havig fun and tell Rick to pop in here now and then.

Jim