HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 22, 2011, 04:08 PM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,361 Posts
I went by the store again.. the Ultimate is a bit smaller than an E-flight I've also had my eye on... So the motor arrived today and WOW it is a big rascal. I think it will pull the E-flight Rapsody and be a better fit. The Eflight is a 5 pound airplane where as the Ultimate is only 2.5 lbs so I agree the Tacon would be more power than necessary.

Two other factors, they both cost the same $225 but the Rascal, I will get a 10% discount knocking its cost down to 205, plus I have store credit for another 30 bucks, making the out the door about 170.

The Tacon's are really inexpensive from HobbyPartz and their shipping is incredible, like 2 day shipment. My only complaint is that there is no documentation in the box.

I'll have to post some pictures.

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2011, 08:29 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,593 Posts
I did a test run on my new Tacon 46..........holy &%^$ what power it has! I did not have a watt meter on it, but it pulls a lot stronger than the Turnigy, and that one pulled the GP P-51 hard!
I know how much the plane weighs on my hand when holding it by the tail, and when I held onto the plane by the tail, with only 3/4 throttle given, it was a heck of a lot more than what the plane weighs. Can hardly wait to try the test flight, hopefully tomorrow.

Need to get a watt meter on it.
Xanadu is offline Find More Posts by Xanadu
Old Aug 23, 2011, 06:32 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,361 Posts
Any prop suggestions for the Tacon 32 in order to get 650 watts load. I have a 60 amp ESC, so I don't want to push much past 50 amps, and I'll go with a 4 cell pack, which will put the voltage at 14.5 vicinity. Just need a good starting point, my total guess is 12x8 but youse guys might be able to put me a little closer.

Thanks

KKKKFL
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:14 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2fly View Post
Any prop suggestions for the Tacon 32 in order to get 650 watts load. I have a 60 amp ESC, so I don't want to push much past 50 amps, and I'll go with a 4 cell pack, which will put the voltage at 14.5 vicinity. Just need a good starting point, my total guess is 12x8 but youse guys might be able to put me a little closer.

Thanks

KKKKFL
Try Ecalcropcalc. Works very well, allows you to plug in variations.

http://www.s4a.ch/eflight/motorcalc_e.htm
Old Aug 23, 2011, 08:23 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,593 Posts
I did a quick check on Ecalc, shows a 12x8 is too much, but a 13x7 will give you 702 watts out based on a 4s 400 ma battery, 60 amp esc, and a Eflite 46 (same setup as Tacon)

A 12x7 only gives you 570 watts out, while the 12x8 may give you prop stall

Good start anyways.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 09:41 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,361 Posts
So would a 12x7 unload in the air and draw 600watts, or does the power drop when it unloads and I only get 500 watts? Looks like a 12x7.5 is the perfect prop, just not available.

Actually, I think I need to stay below the 60 amp capacity of the ESC and check the flight characteristics with various props.

KKKKFL
Old Aug 25, 2011, 01:19 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I've done several Eagletree logs. The current goes down about 10%. I forgot what the wattage does but the voltage goes up on your pack a tad as the lower current draw causes less voltage drop from the battery IR drop. The RPMS go up 2-5% depending on the prop pitch. Even though your wattage does go down in the air, your efficiency is what goes up. You MUST measure wattage on the ground to know what your gonna pull on a vertical climb, take off and such so you have some elbow room.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Aug 25, 2011, 06:22 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,361 Posts
If voltages goes up but current goes down, would seem you have a wash... since
Power = E voltage x I current. On a vertical climb, I'm just guessing, but I think that is a steady and heavy load, while in level flight, the prop spins easier as the plane accelerates, up to a point...

Playing with a watt meter last week, we measured statically on the ground then held the plane up and jerked it around. Statically, the meter showed 35 amps being drawn, but when we started shaking, there were moments where the amp reading hit 40 amps, not for more than a second or two, but the reading did jump around.

The way I intrepret this test is a 10amp buffer is better than a 5 amp buffer.

KKKKFL
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:36 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Any time the prop is accelerating and you are past say 7/8 throttle or so, it will pull more current than full throttle static.
Any time the plane is moving forwards, it will pull less current than static at the same throttle.
My point is that to know that this happens. Yes, I like a 10 amp buffer at least on my ESC. One thing that can happen is the motor can studder during acceleration if the ESC is not rated high enough of a buffer.
Another time you have to watch out is when your not using an e-prop. Heavier props will pull more current during throttle acceleration.
Yes, vertical climb is pretty close to static but so long as your moving, it's gonna be less.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 08:27 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,361 Posts
Yup, we beat this one up pretty good. I would actually like to put one of those watt meters that records "Max" everything in the plane and fly around to see what the Highs are. Maybe the Specktrum telemetry module will allow this.

KKKKFL
Old Aug 25, 2011, 10:52 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Some watt meters will do that if you leave it plugged in and hit a button. But you can't tell as much info from it.
Eagle Tree logger makes really nice graphs
Old Aug 29, 2011, 01:55 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Tacon motors are 10% off with Coupon till 9/9
Hobbypartz Coupon for Tacon
Old Sep 03, 2011, 06:31 AM
United States, NJ, Paramus
Joined Jun 2004
1,811 Posts
Hobby Partz Coupon

Hi How do I use the HP Coupon for the Exceed ESC's?
I tried placing an order, then clicked on the coupon noithing happen, it just brought me to HP website??
Thanks Dan
DBono99 is offline Find More Posts by DBono99
Old Sep 03, 2011, 08:27 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Write down the coupon codes before you click.
Then enter it at checkout. There is a box towards the bottom when you are entering your address.
I'm not sure which one, but I think the gens ace coupon may be expired. That may include exceed. Not sure.
Old Sep 03, 2011, 10:57 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2006
1,593 Posts
When I click on the links, all I get is the HP page, no codes. Even the links I click on show no code.