SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 28, 2011, 09:53 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Buzz, are you using an eflite power 60 in the calc? I tried using motocalc and the numbers we not even close to what my Ice 100 was telling me. I tried 4 different props on 3 planes, 1- eflite60, 2-MP60. Very close readings.

Harry
Harry H is offline Find More Posts by Harry H
to remove ads between posts
Old May 29, 2011, 09:44 AM
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,182 Posts
Yep. I was using the Eflite 60. The Monsters are suppose to be copies of them. HMMMMMMM Things that make you go HMMMMMM

I used a budget watt meter from Hobbypartz to double check.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/aeo-p0-watt-meter.html

All three of us have the same power setup. We are using the Valcano 60 amp ESC. After the flight, the ESC and motor are cool to the touch.

I have no experience with that ESC so I cannot help there.

I might be able to get some readings tomorrow. Right now the winds are blowing 60mph with rain. So not able to go out side with a plane.

Buzz.
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old May 29, 2011, 09:51 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Hey, that would be great. I am going to go over the read outs on my ICE today. Too bad about the weather - drizzling here.

Harry
Old May 29, 2011, 01:43 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I use the adamone because I can alter the battery internal resisitance. The battery voltage under load makes a HUGE difference. Many of those motor calcs often leave you choosing old technology for the battery. I find I have to manually select the battery IR. For my big 6s packs, my IR is often like 1-3 milliohms per cell. If your hooking a wattmeter to a fresh pack then select a voltage like 4V per cell and adamone becomes pretty close. But like within 10%
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Old Jun 01, 2011, 10:12 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,182 Posts
Harry, I had life come up and give me a nice gentle kiss. Feel just like the kick of a angry mule.

i will try to get a ready this weekend.

Buzz.
Old Jun 02, 2011, 12:58 AM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Buzz, hate when that happens. Hope all is well. Thanks for remembering.

Harry
Old Jun 05, 2011, 02:46 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,182 Posts
Harry, I did a quick test. I am using (4) 3s 2650's wired series and parallel to get 6s 5300 battery.

I charged them up, turned it on and the watt meter said 49amps static then dropped to 47.5 after about 30 seconds. So if we guess that the $19.00 watt meter is say 10% off, that would be tops, 54 amps. No where near what you are getteing.

Not sure why you are getting such a high reading. If I got that high, my 60 amp EC would fry.

I am at 4,000 asl.

Buzz.
Old Jun 05, 2011, 05:35 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Buzz, thanks for getting back. I broke my wattmeter and need to get another one. Something is off. I still have not received my replacement motor and will get another meter. I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Harry
Old Jun 05, 2011, 05:49 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
872 Posts
Guys,

I haven't read the whole thread but regarding the difference in current readings if you are using the same prop....... The timing setting and the PWM setting on the ESC will have an affect on the current being drawn. I don't know if anyone stated this earlier but I just wanted to bring that up.
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old Jun 05, 2011, 05:56 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
Guys,

I haven't read the whole thread but regarding the difference in current readings if you are using the same prop....... The timing setting and the PWM setting on the ESC will have an affect on the current being drawn. I don't know if anyone stated this earlier but I just wanted to bring that up.
You bring up a good point. Same prop but didnt think about the timing. I think it is at med. Thanks.

Harry
Old Jun 05, 2011, 06:52 PM
Joined Jul 2002
1,182 Posts
Harry, best of luck. One reason I believe my readings, there are two of them flying and a third will be soon. All are MP 60's, same ESC and real close to the same batteries.

Let us know when the motor and watt meter gets in and tested.

Buzz.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:51 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
I"m starting to use the Tacon Motors from HobbyPartz. They are sized like the Monster power. I think the bearings on these are better though. No more label you have to peal off. They print the info right onto the bell. X mount is black and the prop adaptor is silver instead of Blue. The most recent Tacon 25 is going onto an Extreme Flight 48" Edge.
Last edited by Melnic; Sep 29, 2011 at 08:36 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:12 AM
Commerce Township, MI
Joined Aug 2001
4,410 Posts
Like the Monster Power Motors, the Tacon appear to be from ShenZhen XingYaoHua Industrial Co.,Ltd

http://www.xingyaohua.com/web/en/pro...p?pid=19&id=13

and

http://www.xingyaohua.com/web/en/pro...p?pid=19&id=12
Ken Myers is offline Find More Posts by Ken Myers
Old Jul 20, 2011, 12:28 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
They could very well be from the same place. I know the MP instructions are same paper and print as the Turnigy.
In your links I don't see a total similarity to the TAcons. The Tacons unlike the MP have the wires comming out all 3 bound together with a shrink wrap at the motor exit. Those photos have them individually like the Monster Power.
That binding of the wires makes them last longer if the wires are pulled often. I fly combat where we get mid-airs alot or lawn dart them. I can tell you that the extra shrink wrap and binding them together makes a difference in longevity.
Old Jul 22, 2011, 08:29 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,439 Posts
Wattmeter testing on Tacon Bigfoot 25
Gens Ace 25C 4S 2200mAh pack
Tacon Bigfoot 25
APCe 12x6 prop
10,000RPM peak
600W peak