HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:32 AM
nom
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Mar 2011
1,601 Posts
I use the Tacon 15 on my spitfire on 4s but with a APC 9x7 because when I use anything larger it passes the specs that are shown on hobbypartz's website. I can dig up the numbers if you want copper. I use the Tacon 10 on my jug but it's only 3s because I use a 4 blader on it.
nom is online now Find More Posts by nom
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:34 PM
Tucson
Joined Nov 2009
976 Posts
I've given up using Monster motors, and most Turnigy motors. Rate watts by 150 x pounds of plane. Then you will have enough power.

"Size" motors are usually really underpowered. Pick electric motors based on the weight of the plane, not on recommendations from the online hobby shops.
wuest3141 is online now Find More Posts by wuest3141
Old Jan 15, 2013, 11:47 PM
Flying Full Size & Fun Size :)
United States, CA, Calabasas
Joined Apr 2010
1,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by copperbricks View Post
Does anyone have info on the 15 and 25 with 4s and a 10x10 prop? I'm looking to upgrade my pkz jug.
Thanks!
G,
I use eCalc, which is available here via the castle creations site: http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...alculator.html
It doesn't have specs for Tacon/MP motors, but since they're copies of the Eflite stuff, I just select the similar Eflite motor. So far the results from eCalc have been within 10% when I check them with a wattmeter, so I'm pretty happy.
I plugged in your setups with a 4s 2100mAh 25C batt. The power 15 would be pushed a bit past it's limits on full throttle (45A, 580 watts in), but you'd get about 100mph pitch speed, which is mighty fast. The power 25 on 4s is well within limits, but kind of tepid with that prop. If you want thrust, a bigger diameter prop would wake it up, or if you wanted speed something like a 10x12 might be ideal.
Hope that helps,
J
jgalexander is offline Find More Posts by jgalexander
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:15 PM
You can't take the sky from me
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Aug 2011
1,083 Posts
Thanks. Although I decided to go with an E-flite 1250kv.
copperbricks is offline Find More Posts by copperbricks
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:31 PM
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined May 2003
798 Posts
Tacon Bigfoot motors are back to sane pricing again. $20 for 15/25 sizes.at hobbypartz
speed2004 is offline Find More Posts by speed2004
Old Feb 02, 2013, 12:24 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,670 Posts
Need an opinion from you plane guys...Im building a rhapsody. Which of the two is a better motor ? or are they equal ?

#1 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=23332

#2 http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m604-big...520-770kv.html

Yes the motor from hk is out of stock. But I'm in no hurry at this time. Thanks for any feedback...( I'm just trying to avoid paying the $80 for the E-flite power 32 )

If not one of the two above. Recommend something else ?
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:21 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Maryland
Joined May 2009
1,669 Posts
I just bought a Tacon 32 a few weeks ago. Very impressed with the build quality. Cannot wait to be rid of the weather to try the pane I put it in. You will not regret the purchase.
Willsonman is offline Find More Posts by Willsonman
Old Feb 02, 2013, 04:46 PM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
Need an opinion from you plane guys...Im building a rhapsody. Which of the two is a better motor ? or are they equal ?

Yes the motor from hk is out of stock. But I'm in no hurry at this time. Thanks for any feedback...( I'm just trying to avoid paying the $80 for the E-flite power 32 )

Of all the products Hextronics makes that I have bought (Turnigy, Hobbywing, and HEK,) The G-32 700 kV is the only product I have issues with.
The magnets keep coming loose.
I do not know what causes magnets to come loose, but they consistently come loose with my copy of this motor.
It appears that only a narrow band of adhesive was applied inside the circumference of the can during production. Whether this is universal manufacturing defect, I cannot say. For all I know, every other G-32 has a more liberal application of adhesive.
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:38 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,670 Posts
Thanks for the replys Will & Dust...Ill scratch the G-32 from my list .
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:51 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the replys Will & Dust...Ill scratch the G-32 from my list .
My comment is only ONE personal experience.
I doubt the whole line of motors is the same way... otherwise, we'd have heard more or seen more comments about it.

When the motor stays together (2-3 flights), it's a beautiful powerplant on 4 cells.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:02 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
Joined Aug 2012
3,670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustBen View Post
My comment is only ONE personal experience.
I doubt the whole line of motors is the same way... otherwise, we'd have heard more or seen more comments about it.

When the motor stays together (2-3 flights), it's a beautiful powerplant on 4 cells.
Yeah..I hear ya.
I know of most sub-par heli electronics And stay clear of them. But not much when it comes to the good and bads when it comes to plane electronics. So im just trying to get a feel of whats out there thats dependable and trust worthy of a $500 plane without having to spend the what i think are overpriced electronics on some of horrizon hobby products. If i can find a 770kv motor at $35 that is just as good as H.H's $70 motor. Im all over that.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 09:08 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
Quote:
Yeah..I hear ya.
I know of most sub-par heli electronics And stay clear of them. But not much when it comes to the good and bads when it comes to plane electronics. So im just trying to get a feel of whats out there thats dependable and trust worthy of a $500 plane without having to spend the what i think are overpriced electronics on some of horrizon hobby products. If i can find a 770kv motor at $35 that is just as good as H.H's $70 motor. Im all over that.
I hear ya.

I'm at a crossroads. Do I buy an identical motor and if it works out well, chalk the other up as a "Monday motor"?
Or do I go with some other similarly priced whatever Tacon, Exceed, FirePower... that might be as flawed in some manner?
Think I'll buy an identical replacement... certify receipt of it, mark it, photograph it, and be prepared to send it back if the same situation happens.
For all I know, maybe I'm doing something... poor prop balancing; who knows?
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:09 AM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,247 Posts
Dejavu*Xion
i have the tacon motor in my rasphady now, waiting for the maidian flight, bench testing has worked well with no problems, i have a few of the G-32s i use and have problems with them, i went with the tacon at the time as it was in stock, after the G-32 came into stock i bought 2 extras and 1 used one, i think they are great motors, get the tacon i think you will like it. sc

Quote:

scottc39 is offline Find More Posts by scottc39
Old Feb 03, 2013, 08:56 AM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,628 Posts
Quote:
Yeah..I hear ya.
I personally reccomend EPBuddy.com or HeadsUpRc.com for motors.
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Feb 03, 2013, 05:22 PM View Post
steelers.dean - crvnation
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Widespread). Show it to me anyway.