HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2010, 08:47 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Discussion
Monster Power and Tacon Bigfoot motors

I've been using some Monster Power 15 motors and just got in a Monster Power 60. It's going into a plane that would be fine with a 46 but I'm going to use a 60 and push just over 800 watts with it.
Got it from Hobbypartz

Hobbypartz Coupon codes
NOTE:
If you don't see the Monster Power Motor you want, try the Tacon Bigfoot from Hobbyparts because they are sized the same and I feel the bearings are better than the Monster Power. Tacon is green but he spinner is silver instead of Blue.

Monster Power 60 Review (4 min 54 sec)
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Nov 27, 2012 at 09:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2010, 01:04 AM
Greensboro Pa USA
Joined Apr 2008
432 Posts
I have been thinking about getting the monster 25 or 32 for my Sig Seniorita.I don't know if I'm gonna run my 4s 5000mah 20c or order some 3s 5000mah 20c
Is the 25 enuff or should I go alittle bigger with the 32? Have you had good success with the brand? I know they are a good deal $-wise

Hemicuda
HEMICUDA is offline Find More Posts by HEMICUDA
Old Mar 14, 2010, 08:30 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Is this designed for nitro? if so ,what size?
Do you know the weight of the plane when with a Nitro?
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:04 AM
United States, PA, Shamokin
Joined Mar 2004
497 Posts
I have a monster power 46

I have been using the Monster Power 46 in my Ultra Stick for over a year now. It works great. Cheap motor, seems ok. I prefer to buy the better motors, but was low on cash when I got that one. Not bad for $50.00.
Zagabond is offline Find More Posts by Zagabond
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:14 AM
Fond du Lac WI
Joined Apr 2008
131 Posts
zagabond,

where did you buy your motors from ? if you buy them from hobbypartz there a bit cheaper than at nitroplanes. at HP the 46 is only $28.99 and the 60 size is only $35.40
and shipping is a flat $4.99.

here is a link to there site = http://www.hobbypartz.com/mopose.html

i now have 5 of these great little motors and all seem to work well.

bass
bassmanh is offline Find More Posts by bassmanh
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:47 AM
WARNING: May contain spam
Joined Oct 2007
20,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melnic View Post
Is this designed for nitro? if so ,what size?
Do you know the weight of the plane when with a Nitro?
Do your calculations correctly, then anything will work in a plane designed for that oily messy nitro stuff
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:37 AM
Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States
Joined May 2003
27,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HEMICUDA View Post
I have been thinking about getting the monster 25 or 32 for my Sig Seniorita.I don't know if I'm gonna run my 4s 5000mah 20c or order some 3s 5000mah 20c
Is the 25 enuff or should I go alittle bigger with the 32? Have you had good success with the brand? I know they are a good deal $-wise

Hemicuda

I think we decided a .32 was the way to go...... a Seniorita should come in at about 5lb.
Dr Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by Dr Kiwi
Old Mar 15, 2010, 09:28 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Has anyone ever created a prop table showing RPM and thrust?
You'd think this would be possible.
I know electric motors tend to be trial and error showing Voltage, RPM vs. Prop, but you'd think you could make a plot of RPM vs. Thrust (in grams) with any prop and using a test set up and an electric motor?

I wonder if it's possible to then convert thrust to output power in WATTS, and then back convert guessing on efficiency of the motor. A motor will have a certain efficiency (peak RPM vs. Kv) curve leading up to it's specified wattage. (am I saying this right?). For example, that Monster power motor might free spin at 22V up to 8800RPM, but under an 800W load it's closer to 8200RPM (93% efficiency). If I put a larger prop, the thrust increases, current increases, but efficiency goes down. I suspect that most motors that curve is pretty close from motor to motor (some will do better than others).

Anyone know what I'm talking about? I spend most my time with Electric helis although I have about 5 Electric planes and propped them based on suggestions from other people. I'd like to understand more of the theory.

Maybe I don't fully understand how it all works but maybe someone can give me a reference to use?

Any generic tables out there one could reference?
Last edited by Melnic; Mar 15, 2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:18 AM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
Novi, Michigan, United States
Joined Jan 2001
2,510 Posts
I thought I'd weight in on the Exceed-RC motors.

I have several (a couple 32's & a couple 480's) in planes and two more 32's waiting to go into a twin I'm reserecting. They're really well built motors. They're about 10% heavier than the E-Flite motors of the same designation.

Also, HobbyPartz appears to be a part of Nitro Planes (the PayPal billing showed Nitro as the recipient, and there's a link from Nitro Planes site). However, the prices at HP are lower than at NP and the flat-rate shipping is lower.

- Roger
gnofliwr is offline Find More Posts by gnofliwr
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:24 AM
Finger Lakes Region, NY
Joined May 2008
349 Posts
Melnic, this test stand setup looks like it would be a good tool to accomplish what you are looking for. They are sold by BP Hobbbies or you could make your own test stand and purchase the same scale at Harbor Freight. You could run the motor/prop setup and monitor it with a wattmeter and digital tachometer.

http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=A0320107
Oldgzr is offline Find More Posts by Oldgzr
Old Mar 15, 2010, 11:39 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Looking at Dr. Kiwi's other posts, it looks like he's done some work in this arena and I may need to just keep looking.
I also found this very helpful thread.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1155283

I know that static thrust does not always equate to how it might fly in the air when it unloads but it sure is useful information when someone is trying to make a plane have good 3D/vertical performance.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 02:27 AM
Greensboro Pa USA
Joined Apr 2008
432 Posts
Dr Kiwi,

Thanks, I was leaning to the 32 so that's good.

Melnic,

It the EP version, 63" wingspan 5-5 1/2 lbs. I heard 25's,32's and 46's
size motors (brushless outrunners) are what people are using. I was leaning towards the moster power motor from Hobbypartz and also looking at the same size motors from Headsuprc.

Hemicuda
HEMICUDA is offline Find More Posts by HEMICUDA
Old Mar 17, 2010, 09:53 AM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Now that I look around enough, I see there are a bunch of motor calc programs for airplanes where they list props like the APCe props and give thrust values at given RPMS. That really helps alot.

I over power my planes myself but since that kit in a Nitro calls for a .25, a 32 sounds like you'll have what you need. it's just a matter of the right prop to go with the 3S or 4S batteries that you have. Will both Fit?
Old Mar 17, 2010, 11:10 AM
3D wing innovator
Dallas, Texas
Joined Dec 2009
2,134 Posts
800 watts on a 6lb (what its really gonna be) plane is marginal higher performance. Any good 60 should pull over 1000 watts... look to more cells for this one. Im thinking 6..and if you really want to go for efficiency, look at what VOX wood propellers are doing on thrust 50 motors pulling less than 70 amps...10.5 lbs of thrust!
on 2 regular 2200 3s.. or look what torque motors of similar weight are doing on 5 cells....
MikeRx is online now Find More Posts by MikeRx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Build Service
Old Mar 17, 2010, 12:23 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRx View Post
800 watts on a 6lb (what its really gonna be) plane is marginal higher performance. Any good 60 should pull over 1000 watts... look to more cells for this one. Im thinking 6..and if you really want to go for efficiency, look at what VOX wood propellers are doing on thrust 50 motors pulling less than 70 amps...10.5 lbs of thrust!
on 2 regular 2200 3s.. or look what torque motors of similar weight are doing on 5 cells....
Who's plane are you refering to? Mine or Hemicuda.
His is a high wing trainer type, so I don't think he's looking for all that much power.