HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by isvana, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 05:16 PM
Random Flier
Oxford (UK) and Mtn View CA (USA)
Joined Nov 2002
1,391 Posts
Discussion
Formosa 2 maiden...

SO.... my Formosa 2 has been built but unflown for over a year, so with the recent acquisition of some reasonable output batteries (1600 mAh 20C) it was time to take to the air.

The Formosa is pretty stock, but with a D gearing EPS-D twin-brushed motor and HD1280 prop (~ 180W then). Other non-stock adaptations were as follows.
- As usual the battery bay is designed around a NiMH pack (ie flatter, wider) so the bay cover (under the wing) won't fit over a typical 3S LiPo - this then ran "open to air" with some foam to keep the battery in position behind the stock velcro straps.
- the undercarriage wire seems far too flimsy, so I'd attached some thin carbon stiffeners. But I chose poorly and the wire still wasn't stiff enough. 2" narrow foam wheels used.

Flying conditions weren't ideal: the BBC claimed 8mph winds but on the meadow it seemed stronger (and chilling!). The flying site grass seemed short, so a ROG seemed worth trying.

Flight 1: Took off in 6' / 2m, but immediately went into a vertical climb travelling backwards in the wind (too much elevator)... it headed downwind without me gaining control so I chopped throttle and tried to maintain a level attitude... PRANG!. Only visible damage was a wheel popped off as it nosed over. Easily popped back on and the (GWS plastic) retainer held it in... reminder to self to put in some better wheel stops.

Flight 2: Take off next time was much more successful. Climbed well, but didn't make much headway into the wind on half throttle. Although I had not added expo (reminder to self for next time!) and the ailerons seemed over controlled, the rudder seemed ineffective. Apart from the rudder, all controls seemed very nice and it was easy to do low manoevres and recover above terra firma. Landing roll was 1ft / 20cm...

So the rudder unresponsiveness was due to the (GWS plastic) control horn being loose. Hmmm. But I risked a ...

Flight 3: took off fine and flew fine. The EPSD sounds a bit funny as if one motor is doing better than the other.

Summary: I can see why people rave about this largish foamy. It seems an ideal platform for a few more watts... but I'll carry on with the EPSD for the time being
isvana is offline Find More Posts by isvana
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2010, 11:26 PM
United States, ID, Sandpoint
Joined Apr 2009
670 Posts
Apprentice forum

Hello Isvana - You mentioned that there are other Apprentice threads that I might refer to. Can you tell me what category they are in? This is from my post about flying an Apprentice.
Thanks
crobar is offline Find More Posts by crobar
Old Apr 23, 2010, 02:26 AM
Random Flier
Oxford (UK) and Mtn View CA (USA)
Joined Nov 2002
1,391 Posts
Crobar - I see you have posted in 1 of them so presume you found it! Good luck
isvana is offline Find More Posts by isvana