HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2001, 10:52 PM
Kirkland, WA USA
Joined Mar 2001
449 Posts
Corsair by S&B Models - Building Hints

I just received my corsair arc and ready to start building this weekend. It looks like it will take a couple of hours at most because already i can tell it is a beautiful plane!

Anyone built one of these models? If so, any hints or adjustments you made would be great. I realize it was a little $$, but aren't I worth it???

I am looking at installing s480 and using 8 cell 600ae to power it. It should rock...

I can post pics if anyone interested as I build it.
Randy G is offline Find More Posts by Randy G
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2001, 11:01 PM
RCH
Huntington, NY
Joined Nov 2000
92 Posts
I built there Hawker Tempest. Couple of things I would do diffrently on mine if I where to do it again. I would use a couple of strips of packing tape, my fuse split in half on a rough landing. Pay close attention to the aleron set up. I spent a lot of time trying to get mine to be friction free. It is good but could be better. Also, I think the CG range , at least for the Hawker, is too far back. My first flight was interesting. I fly mine with a 6v SP400 and a 8X600AE pack. It flies great but does not fly well with the 8X1600 Mnih packs. I think it is the weight. Great looking planes in the air. Good luck

Cheers,
Jim
RCH is offline Find More Posts by RCH
Old Sep 24, 2001, 11:34 PM
Battery Pyrotechnics Guru
Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia
Joined Jul 2001
67 Posts
I would recommend against puttng in a S480 at this stage. I have one and it's S400. The flying weight really needs to be under 500 grams for best performance. If you put a 480 in it, yes it will go faster, but will literally fall out of the sky if you have a problem or try to land on glide. You are more than welcome to of course out a 480 in it, but the weight issue is critical.

If you need info on a specific part of construction (say putting the servo in the wing), let me know as I have just gone through all of this.

Andrew

(Issues...

Aileron servo goes vertically into the wing with the bottom of the servo protected by the foam section that goes under the wing.

Elevator servo should go towards the back of the electronics bay.

I put my receiver in the canopy. Actually mounted under the canopy flush with the area where say a pilot might go.

Remember to put a little foam block to pad out the very tip of the tail section once you have the rudder in place.

Correct Dihedral for wing is, when you pl;ace the wing upside down the center and the wing tips should be horizontal (i.e. level). (but it doesn't really matter unless you are WAY off)

Remember to put some foam directly behind the motor so that WHEN you DO crash (not if but WHEN) the battery will not pulverise the motor, or visa-versa.

I put some clear plastic over the aileron servo so that I could check it's function, it would remain clean, and that nothing could get in it's way (such as a cable). Because the aileron servo does get close inside the bay this I believe is a MUST as the last thin you want is to not have left or right roll because a cable has jamed up the servo.

Also sand down the top of the wing where the two halves join and cover with balsa. This will give you more room inside the battery bay.

All I can think of right now... more later)
OzMax is offline Find More Posts by OzMax
Last edited by OzMax; Sep 25, 2001 at 07:29 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2001, 04:28 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jun 2001
220 Posts
I also put my receiver in the canopy and used a control horn on the elevator to give more leverage as using the quick connector only put a high load on the servo.

My instructions said the COG should be 60-70 mm from the leading edge, it should in fact be about 40-45 mm
Anks is offline Find More Posts by Anks
Old Sep 25, 2001, 04:48 PM
Super Senior Member
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Feb 2000
3,396 Posts
Keep us posted! I am going to be getting one of these as soon as D at EAM gets them in (three of us bought one each for combat). I am getting the Corsair, so any info you have would be greatly appreciated.

Greg
Slope Nut is offline Find More Posts by Slope Nut
Old Sep 27, 2001, 04:55 PM
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined Jun 2001
220 Posts
How are you getting on, any news as yet?
Anks is offline Find More Posts by Anks
Old Sep 28, 2001, 07:16 PM
Kirkland, WA USA
Joined Mar 2001
449 Posts
Cruising!

I have been putting the plane together the past few days and should be ready for a flight tomorrow. The directions are for a generic version of theirs (as listed on the website) but the corsair has a different elevator/rudder system that is a little confusing. The rest of the plane is going great though.

HOPEFULLY I will get it finished tonight (sorry Honey, I can't come to be now ) and a flight tomorrow. I will also get some pics
Randy G is offline Find More Posts by Randy G