HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2010, 01:36 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined May 2008
467 Posts
Discussion
L-5/Stinson 108 Voyager Maiden Flight

Hi,

I thought I would share with you all my successful maiden flight of my Pilot-One 1/8? Stinson Voyager flight this morning. This is an expectional kit from Hobby Lobby that I enjoyed building. I told Dora 190 that after the conversion of mt Taulorcrast to a marine L-2 that I was going to do the same to the Stienson to an L-5. But this civilian aircraft is just too pritty to paint OD and Gray until it gets some serious rebuilds. This first flight went very well with only a couple of trim changes. It had a sever right crab that I attempted to trim out with rudder except I was suing the RIGHT stick trim lever!! The rest was uneventful. This is a stable quality airfram from Hobby Lobby.
I have attached some pix from this morning that I hope will do this wonderful civilian aircraft justice.

NFG

Check Six
Navy Fly Guy is offline Find More Posts by Navy Fly Guy
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:07 PM
Buffalo,MN
Joined Dec 2005
1,301 Posts
Nice looking plane, glad your maiden went well.
Dan Parson is offline Find More Posts by Dan Parson
Old Mar 14, 2010, 06:51 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,587 Posts
NFG

If I recall correctly (and that is always a problem!! ) the Military L-5 was based on the 2 place prewar Model 10 Voyager (Model 75), not the postwar 4 place Model 108 Voyager that your model is. The two planes are very different so I think you will a great deal of difficulty making the plane you have currently into a representative L-5 (Model 76 I think)

Stinson numbering systems and designations were a bit confusing at times, particularly prewar and postwar!!

I always liked the short tail 108-2 version but the big tail 108-3 is the more commonly modeled.

Hope this helps.

If you like I can dig up some info from my Stinson book.

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is offline Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Mar 14, 2010, 07:59 PM
Lubbock, TX
Joined May 2008
467 Posts
Brian Thanls

Hi Brian,

Thanks for the info on the L-5. The conversion IF the occasion arises will most likely require considerable rebuilding of the 108. I liked your latin!

NFG
Navy Fly Guy is offline Find More Posts by Navy Fly Guy