HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:12 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Oct 2009
119 Posts
Discussion
ICE 75 - Red Blinking Light, no action.

Hello all,

I'm having an issue with my new ICE 75 which is perplexing me, so I thought I'd see if anyone had a similar experience or advice.

The setup:
  • ICE 75 with firmware Version 3.20.
  • All Default settings.
  • Spektrum AR7000 receiver.
  • Turnigy 6S 5000 mAh battery (fully charged).
  • Two JR 821 servos and a Scorpion S-4020-16 plugged into the ICE 75.
  • ICE 75 plugged into the receiver.

The procedure:
  1. Turn on the DX7 transitter with the throttle set to 50%.
  2. Plug the ICE 75 into a fully charged 6S 5000mAh Turnigy (have tried other batteries as well).
  3. Initializing beeps following by six beeps for cell count.
  4. Red light flashes fast.
  5. Lower the throttle to 0%.
  6. The red light just flashes fast and no other actions.

Alternate procedure:

As above with no servos plugged into the receiver and no motor plugged into the ESC. The red light just flashes fast.

I have used various other batteries (3S and 6S) with the same results.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
rcHeli101 is offline Find More Posts by rcHeli101
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2010, 12:26 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcHeli101 View Post
Hello all,

I'm having an issue with my new ICE 75 which is perplexing me, so I thought I'd see if anyone had a similar experience or advice.

The setup:
  • ICE 75 with firmware Version 3.20.
  • All Default settings.
  • Spektrum AR7000 receiver.
  • Turnigy 6S 5000 mAh battery (fully charged).
  • Two JR 821 servos and a Scorpion S-4020-16 plugged into the ICE 75.
  • ICE 75 plugged into the receiver.

The procedure:
  1. Turn on the DX7 transitter with the throttle set to 50%.
  2. Plug the ICE 75 into a fully charged 6S 5000mAh Turnigy (have tried other batteries as well).
  3. Initializing beeps following by six beeps for cell count.
  4. Red light flashes fast.
  5. Lower the throttle to 0%.
  6. The red light just flashes fast and no other actions.

Alternate procedure:

As above with no servos plugged into the receiver and no motor plugged into the ESC. The red light just flashes fast.

I have used various other batteries (3S and 6S) with the same results.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome!

Thanks!
go to thus link... sounds like you need to calibrate the throttle on the TX.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1190885
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old Mar 13, 2010, 01:44 PM
Joined Oct 2009
119 Posts
Thanks for the links! I did see that previously, but didn't think that was the issue.

When I set the endpoints without the motor connected, it seems to set correctly according to the instructions. Then, when I connect the motor I get the red flashes again (following my aforementioned protocol of connecting the battery).

When I attempt to set the endpoints with the motor connected, the endpoints never set (i.e. no confirmation beep, no change of flash rate or amber light). I'm sure it is user error...probably easier if I give you guys a call on Monday and get a walk through.

Thanks!

Jeff
Old Mar 14, 2010, 10:18 PM
Joined Oct 2009
119 Posts
At least partial User-Error involved (didn't have Fixed Endpoint set in the software)...but finally got everything to work. I noticed that the ESC is very sensitive to the "mid throttle" point and the number of seconds you have to wait before lowering the throttle to zero when initializing the motor. This may be part of a learning curve though. My Phoenix ESC wasn't quite this tweaky; however, not as advanced\programmable either.

Thanks again for the guidance; it definitely was the issue.

Jeff
Last edited by rcHeli101; Mar 21, 2010 at 07:58 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2010, 12:35 PM
Joined Oct 2009
119 Posts
Well...after a week's hiatus, I was able to get back to building my Hellcat, but haven't been able to get the ICE 75 to initialize after it was previously working. I went back and tried to set the fixed endpoints again, but can't get it to accept them. I even tried clearing the model in my DX7 and starting fresh, but to no avail. Out of five different ESC's, this is definitely the most trouble I have ever had. I'll give Castle a call tomorrow. I sure hope it is user error because I don't want to deal with the down time and having to resolder bullets and a Deans connector.

Just watched the Finless video on the HV85 and I am following the same procedure.
Last edited by rcHeli101; Mar 21, 2010 at 08:00 PM. Reason: grammar + finless
Old Mar 22, 2010, 01:12 PM
Joined Oct 2009
119 Posts
I called Castle today and in no time discovered the issue was not with the Castle ICE 75, but with the new Spektrum AR7000 receiver! The receiver will bind and everything seems lovely, but after disconnecting the battery, turning off the DX7 and then connecting everything back up again, nothing works (even though the bind light was burning solid and bright on the AR7000). I thought this was somehow related to the ESC, but that was not the case. I grabbed another Spektrum receiver and popped it into the plane and rebound. Sure enough, time after time I could power off and then reconnect and everything worked fine. I'm sure happy that issue was discovered on the ground! In addition, all comments by me in this thread about struggling with this ESC should be stricken from the record. Now to call Horizon about this AR7000!
Old Mar 25, 2010, 03:40 PM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
961 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcHeli101 View Post
I called Castle today and in no time discovered the issue was not with the Castle ICE 75, but with the new Spektrum AR7000 receiver! The receiver will bind and everything seems lovely, but after disconnecting the battery, turning off the DX7 and then connecting everything back up again, nothing works (even though the bind light was burning solid and bright on the AR7000). I thought this was somehow related to the ESC, but that was not the case. I grabbed another Spektrum receiver and popped it into the plane and rebound. Sure enough, time after time I could power off and then reconnect and everything worked fine. I'm sure happy that issue was discovered on the ground! In addition, all comments by me in this thread about struggling with this ESC should be stricken from the record. Now to call Horizon about this AR7000!
Very glad you found the problem. I am sure Horizon will give you great service....
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone