HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 13, 2010, 03:06 AM
Tracy, CA, U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2010
26 Posts
Question
Will this work on an Esky Big Lama?

Sorry if this sounds like a silly question. But...

I was thinking about converting my Big Lama from 72MHz to 2.4GHz.
And someone has an ESky 2.4GHz transmitter & EK2-0424 receiver combo for sale.

My question: will the ESky EK2-0424 work in the Big Lama?
It' states: "for use in Honey Bee King 2.4G and Belt-CP", but isn't a 6CH 2.4GHz a 6CH 2.4GHz???

Thanks in advance...
-Carlo
cfanto is offline Find More Posts by cfanto
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 13, 2010, 03:43 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2010
201 Posts
I have never owned a coaxial but have flown one: Good Q!
Whether you can use a heli radio in a preassembled coax.
Do a search on this text above for your answer.
Parts_Hunt is offline Find More Posts by Parts_Hunt
Old Mar 13, 2010, 07:23 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfanto View Post
Sorry if this sounds like a silly question. But...

I was thinking about converting my Big Lama from 72MHz to 2.4GHz.
And someone has an ESky 2.4GHz transmitter & EK2-0424 receiver combo for sale.

My question: will the ESky EK2-0424 work in the Big Lama?
It' states: "for use in Honey Bee King 2.4G and Belt-CP", but isn't a 6CH 2.4GHz a 6CH 2.4GHz???

Thanks in advance...
-Carlo
The coax heli's require a different 4-in-1 because they control two large motors instead of a large main and a small tail. In the case of a King 2 or a Belt CP, they are only controlling one motor because they have a belted tail.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:14 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
An ESky 6 channel Tx won't work with a 4 channel heli. The builtin mixing is for a 120 degree CCPM head. You can seperate the receiver component from the 4 in 1 unit, if you can find a cheap 2.4ghz ESky Tx. Just in case you were going to ask, you can't mix and match Tx and Rx from different manufacturers. They are not compatible.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 13, 2010, 05:45 PM
Tracy, CA, U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
The coax heli's require a different 4-in-1 because they control two large motors instead of a large main and a small tail. In the case of a King 2 or a Belt CP, they are only controlling one motor because they have a belted tail.
kodak_jack,
I was planning to keep the existing 3-in-1 on the Big Lama & just swap out the stock 72MHz receiver with the 2.4GHz receiver in the said package... will it still not won't work?
Old Mar 13, 2010, 05:55 PM
Tracy, CA, U.S.A.
Joined Feb 2010
26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
An ESky 6 channel Tx won't work with a 4 channel heli. The builtin mixing is for a 120 degree CCPM head. You can seperate the receiver component from the 4 in 1 unit, if you can find a cheap 2.4ghz ESky Tx. Just in case you were going to ask, you can't mix and match Tx and Rx from different manufacturers. They are not compatible.
Balr14,

I've also got a Skyartec WASP V3 (6CH). I was tired of having to switch between the two different TX's & having to replace the batteries for both (that's 16 AA batteries!). So thinking they're both 72MHz, I decided to do a test & popped the crystal from the WASP V3's receiver into the Big Lama. After a few dip switch changes on the Skyartec SKY701 TX & some fine tuning on the Big Lama, I'm able to fly the Big Lama with it. Now, I just have to find another 72.690MHz crystal.

I guess I can just stick with 72MHz for the time being. But I've heard 2.4GHz is the way to go these days... then I saw that deal on eBay, so I thought, "now's the time to upgrade??".

Also, I see a lot of talk about DX6's... anyone know if that would even work on a 4-Channel co-ax like the Big Lama (understanding that I'll probably need to swap in a DX6-compatible receiver). I'm worried about the "built-in mixing". I'm gonna assume that my 6-CH WASP V3 should work without problems with the DX6 with a compatible receiver.

I appreciate everyone's response!
Last edited by cfanto; Mar 13, 2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: typo...
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:21 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
The SkyArtec Wasp Tx is the same one used for their 4 channel FP version of the V3. So, it has dip switches that can be changed. I don't know if that's possible with the ESky 2.4 Tx. The Wasp V3 uses all seperate components and relies on the Tx to do the mixing, so any programmable Tx will work.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Mar 14, 2010, 11:06 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfanto View Post
kodak_jack,
I was planning to keep the existing 3-in-1 on the Big Lama & just swap out the stock 72MHz receiver with the 2.4GHz receiver in the said package... will it still not won't work?
To be absolutely sure, I'd post this in the coax forum where there are a lot of Big Lama owners who may have looked at something like this. IMHO, you might be better off putting your money into a Spektrum set up, but again, I don't follow the Big Lama threads, so, don't know what the guys are using. Replacing Esky electronics with Esky electronics isn't necessarily a step up.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack